Elvas Tower: What about loading coal in a coal train? - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What about loading coal in a coal train? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for info Ian.

Anthony, I found what the problem is. Strangely enough, it's not a problem of the bethgon shape, but a problem of the freight shape (coal.s)! It has two elements in the hierarchy (1 with 50 polys and 1 with 12 polys). This generates a problem to OR. So, if you could generate a different version of the coal shape with only one element (by e.g. removing the 12 polys part), that should work.
I checked Ian's load shapes (e.g. common.Loads\\RCH_1923\\RCH1923_7&8P_Coal1.s), and they have only one element in the hierarchy, and they work. I used this latter shape with your bethgon, and things worked.

#22 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

By the way I read that Bethgons are unloaded by rotating them, which is not elementary to implement. Does someone have a link to a coal car that unloads coal from the bottom (which is easier to implement)? Would be nice to have if it had animated bottom.

#23 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Ok, will see what I can do with it.

If you don't find one that dumps from the bottom, let me know. I can prolly throw one together pretty quik. Might not ne real detailed at first tho<lol

#24 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Here's a new coal load to try

I'll try to get started on a new coal car when I get off work tomorrow

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  COAL.zip (2.39K)
    Number of downloads: 520

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hi Anthony,
that works now! I only had to lower MaxHeight and MinHeight in my include files. I attach here the two include files.
Attached File  Includes.zip (757bytes)
Number of downloads: 502
If you would like to upload in the download area of Elvas Tower your gondola together with these include files (in an Openrails subfolder within the AS_AECX_1636 folder) I can offer the demo activity also for your gondola.

Then we will speak about unloading: for this following should be needed to start:
1) a wagon animation rotating the whole car by 135 degrees (by the moment this can be linked to the door open command, and then I will link it to the T-key )
2) a rotary dumper, including the part of rotating track, that rotates when the T key remains pressed.
So pressing the T key both car and rotary dumper would rotate and unload coal.
I am not able to provide the .s files for that, but if someone does this, I should be able to provide the OR modifications to activate these animations.

Also the car that unloads from the bottom is welcome.

Ian, your idea about the common load is very good in my opinion, because it unlinks the load from a specific wagon, which represents what the reality is.

#26 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

Why the T key Carlo, that is the steam/diesel refuelling key and is also used by steam to add water when not at a normal watering place, unfortunately it also adds coal as well.. Ideally the steam should be using the Y key for that because it is used in MSTS for pickup from water troughs and should be water only.

If the Y key can be activated for steam water pickup then there would be no problem using the T key for the load/unload provided it is not near a refuelling point.

#27 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:54 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 19 September 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

Why the T key Carlo, that is the steam/diesel refuelling key and is also used by steam to add water when not at a normal watering place, unfortunately it also adds coal as well.. Ideally the steam should be using the Y key for that because it is used in MSTS for pickup from water troughs and should be water only.

If the Y key can be activated for steam water pickup then there would be no problem using the T key for the load/unload provided it is not near a refuelling point.

In MSTS the Y key not only picks up water from the trough but also puts the pick-up arm down and up. Pressing it when not a a water trough results in breaking the pick-up arm.

The T key is for pick-up of water and coal and its use in OR when not at a watering or coaling place I understand is only temporary and should be removed soon.

#28 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:11 AM

I'll say immediately that the chosen key could change.
However, also selecting the T key is not soo bad. When you press the T key, the code still immediately refills the loco if there is no pickup (be it fuel pickup or freight pickup) within 2000 m distance. So the only pitfall comes if you are within 2000 meters from a freight pickup matching with one of the train's wagons and farther than 2000 meters from a fuel pickup matching with the loco. In this case immediate refill wouldn't occur.
I'm trying to use new keys or key combinations very carefully, because there aren't many of them.
Anyhow, work is still in progress and assigning a new key or key combination wouldn't be too complicated.

#29 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 September 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

When you press the T key, the code still immediately refills the loco if there is no pickup (be it fuel pickup or freight pickup) within 2000 m distance. So the only pitfall comes if you are within 2000 meters from a freight pickup matching with one of the train's wagons and farther than 2000 meters from a fuel pickup matching with the loco. In this case immediate refill wouldn't occur.

It has previously been stated that this method of taking water with the T key is only implemented temporarily in OR and will be removed when the water trough pick-up and pick-up from water towers if fully implemented.

#30 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

I'm thinking I did something wrong with the animations,LOL. Whenever you're rolling down the track the car is steady rolling over to a 135 degrees!!

I've got it set to the leftdoor animation tag, is that the one you wanted me to use?? It does this without using the "T" key

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users