Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At The Railyard - The Story of Forest Rail Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Train-a-Mania 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

...Japan has railways unlike any other, but Japanese routes for train simulators are hard to find. This is one of the few available for Railworks, but what exactly is The Story of Forest Rail? We'll find out in this review...at the railyard!

#2 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

That route looks very appealing. Too bad there isn't a free version like that for MSTS. I specially like those older Kiha models.

#3 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

I'm glad there's a developing interest in creating Japanese content for MSTS. Several friends of mine have shown me various railroad wonders ranging from impressive bridges to beautiful landscapes to a vibrant preservation scene. Hopefully Forest Rail and Jeff's Sasebo - Nagasaki route (Along with loco projects like my C62) jump-start interest in virtual Japanese railways.

#4 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 03 September 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'm glad there's a developing interest in creating Japanese content for MSTS. Several friends of mine have shown me various railroad wonders ranging from impressive bridges to beautiful landscapes to a vibrant preservation scene. Hopefully Forest Rail and Jeff's Sasebo - Nagasaki route (Along with loco projects like my C62) jump-start interest in virtual Japanese railways.

I've had this Japanese steamer (I think it is the sole Aso Boy that's out there) in my gigantic MSTS round house forever yet no appropriate Japanese Route to run it on. Just using the default Japanese routes seem to be too much out of place for them. Specially if no steamer typically runs on them.

Even with an appropriate Japanese fictitious route, at least I can run that Aso Boy over there. And feel that it is more in place than some other fictitious route that fits more better for US terrain.

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

Many, many, years ago, a very advanced, for it's era, Japanese train sim was released as a demo. Although it had somewhat limited (lost in translation, maybe) controls, the graphics, for its time, was superior to MSTS. There was a short line, with steam loco (Mikado?) and a number of carriages, and the train travelled through tea plantations (?) and across a curving bridge, over a sort of stoney riverbed, to a small station, near a valley, or in the start of a valley. Timeframe it appeared, late 90s, or early 00s.

There was also a South African train sim, with two locos, a diesel and a Bayer Garratt. It too was superior* to MSTS at the time. *More advanced features.

Do these rarities ring a bell with early train simmers?

Cheers Bazza.

#6 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 09 September 2015 - 02:02 AM, said:

There was also a South African train sim, with two locos, a diesel and a Bayer Garratt. It too was superior* to MSTS at the time. *More advanced features.

Cheers Bazza.

The South African sim was called Spoorsim. There were two versions, one free and one shareware. I actually have both on me.

I have no idea where the author is at this time.

#7 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 09 September 2015 - 02:02 AM, said:

Many, many, years ago, a very advanced, for it's era, Japanese train sim was released as a demo. Although it had somewhat limited (lost in translation, maybe) controls, the graphics, for its time, was superior to MSTS. There was a short line, with steam loco (Mikado?) and a number of carriages, and the train travelled through tea plantations (?) and across a curving bridge, over a sort of stoney riverbed, to a small station, near a valley, or in the start of a valley. Timeframe it appeared, late 90s, or early 00s.

Cheers Bazza.

You're not talking about Boso View Express (BVE for short) are you? That one is surely a Japanese one. And the earliest release was dated in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/BVE_Trainsim

Check out the OpenBVE one. That one sure looks good from the shot shown in that page.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users