• You cannot reply to this topic

Alternative proposal to OpenRails Timetable mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

Sir,

Can we try another alternative for time table mode. Using the proposed activity editor for Open Rails, we can create a common traffic file similar to a single entire timetable for the entire route with trains in both directions.It is easy so that we can create static consists at all sidings as per our wish. So each time we create an activity we can use the common traffic file for all activity.

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

That can already be done in the MSTS Activity Editor. In fact, when you download certain activity packages for some routes, they are designed that way.

The only thing that could improve that way is a better Activity Editor, which ORTS does not yet have, though...

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

But static consist placement is difficult in timetable mode...Kindly tell me the advantages of timetable mode over activity mode?

#4 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

The advantage of the timetable mode is, that the timetable can cover a whole day. Every train which is in the timetable (except the static ones) can be driven and the other trains act as AI. Normal activities, like they are created with the MSTS activity editor, only cover a few hours. That's mainly because MSTS would run out of memory if you defined all trains for a day. I think it's faster to define e.g. six trains in a timetable than building six activities, so you could drive all trains as player or have them as AI in the other activities.

What would you need, to place the static consists? Would a function help you, which could create a path for a siding / plattform, so you can place a static consist there? Other ideas?

Lutz

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

I think this might be a good proposal, but without someone to code an activity editor it is just talk.

I don't have the skills, not do I have anybody to recruit. But I think a little recruiting might be what's needed.

Seems to me that "timetable mode" might be combined with something like a "static consists generator", which might also be used during explore mode as well or for other pre-defined activities. Static consist generator which work something like skyline computing's activity generator, with templates defining types of cars at each siding (either random of the type or pre-defined specific equipment) and another to categorize cars.

Christopher

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

The way timetable is designed at present requires each "static" consist to be allocated a short path on which to sit. These paths can be created in either the MSTS activity editor, or the Open Rails Track viewer. Once the required paths are done it is a simple job to allocate a short path to a static consist.

Timetable is no different to normal activity creation in principle, the main difference being that everything must have a path at present.

#7 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

It was my intention to let this discussion run its course, but I find I need to intervene to avoid it going of its path due to misunderstandings of the timetable setup.

The first ideas before the timetable was developed was indeed to set up a reusable AI directory which could be used to build activities.
But the timetable concept goes way beyond what can be done in activities.

Here's the main grist of these differences - taking, ofcourse, activities as they exist at present.
  • An activity only has a single player train - if you run that activity, you run that train.

In a timetable, you can select any train as the player train - so a timetable with x trains is the equivalent of x activities. And x can be a very large number : the timetable for my private route now stands at 1600 trains (over 24 hours) - which is therefor equivalent to 1600 activities - and all those activies are complete with AI traffic, stored trains etc.

[I know there are plans around to make it possible to switch control to AI trains - but that is still limited to the AI trains which exist at that time, and therefor the selection is still limited in time].

• In an activity, if a train has reached its final destination, that's it. An AI train will 'vanish', if the player train reaches its end the activity has completed.

In a timetable, a train can be 'linked' to the next (return) working. So, an AI train will neatly sit in its platform or siding until it starts as a new AI train. And even the player train will form into the next working. This is equivalent to 'linking' two consecutive activities.
    Using the $create and $stable options, you can actually define the full day schedule for any stock. This is particularly interesting for a frequent short/medium distance passenger network, which usually has a 'closed down' period overnight.
    You can start the 'working day' with all stock in the siding, send them out on their required schedules and bring them back into the siding at the end of the day. No trains will 'vanish' or 'drop from the sky' - all are there at the start, at any time during the day and at the end. That simply is not possible to do with the present activity definition.

• In an activity, it is not possible to set up any interaction between trains.

The timetable concept has several commands which sets interaction between trains.
    The $wait command is the most obvious - not to be confused with 'waiting points' which are very different (and not supported in timetables, by the way).
    The $connect command is also very interesting. This applies to the pretty common situation where a branch line diverges from a main route. The branch line train has a connection out of a main line train. Using the $connect command, the branch train will be 'held' to wait for the main line train if it's running late. And again, it does not matter which is the AI or the player train. So if you are the main line train and you're running late, you will see the branch line train waiting for you. But if you are the branch line train, you will be held at the station to wait for the main line train.

I hope this clears up some misunderstandings of the timetable concept.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#8 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

Sir,

The problem that I have experienced in timetable mode is with static consist placement and rake reversal. My doubt is

How can we place static consist in timetable mode using activity editor as the former is created in openrails with ease?

Regarding train reversal...If train no. 56387 from station A to station B reaches the destination B, and if it is to return to A after a certain waiting time, what we do in activity editor is a shunting option in such a way that the locomotive detaches itself from the rake abd attaches itself on the other side of the same train. We can also create waiting points also...

Can we find solution to the aforesaid questions that is challenging the timetable mode?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users