Elvas Tower: History of the Moffat Road - Denver Northwesetern & Pacific RR - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

History of the Moffat Road - Denver Northwesetern & Pacific RR

#11 User is offline   Donner 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS on OR

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

Just two weeks ago I was on the Amtrak California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago for the first time, and by far going through the Rockies was eye opening (I've been through the Sierra more times than I can remember). I was in the last car, facing towards the tracks (backwards view) and was able to make a guide that helped tremendously in identifying the locations that you mentioned: the Dotsero Cutoff, Gore Canyon, Moffat Tunnel...I was a bit familiar with the route after taking it but this essay of yours sure helped in filling in the holes and then some! Thanks!

I came a bit late in the world to remember Rio Grande or the DNW&P, but what remains today sure is very impressive to say the least.

-Andy

#12 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hi Andy glad you had such a nice trip and thanks glad the guide was intersting.

there is a lot of history around the rails in that area, and if you dont know it it will just not be visible ...but so glad we were able to achieve as much as we have and we hope to do more

including a modern version of the route

Chris

#13 User is offline   supershuttle 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:trainsimualtor

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

hi my name is james when wield the rout be done please .my e mail address is ja_miller61@yahoo.com.

#14 User is offline   railguy 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails-MSTS

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

The Moffat Route used to be a regular part of my "old stomping grounds"--I've explored all of it extensively. Back in the 1960's my Dad and I drove over Rollins Pass when it was still possible to drive through the Needle's Eye Tunnel and over the trestles. It was a wonderful trip. As to the more modern Moffat, I've explored most all of it at one time or another in the last 40 years.

I have also been fortunate to know two Division Engineers--one now a co-worker of mine and one deceased--whose responsibilities were the maintenance of the track all the way from Denver to Salt Lake City. They were/are a treasure trove of information and stories about the goings-on of the Moffat. Because of them, I got a lot of "inside" insights that nearly all of the public and, frankly, most railfans never see or know about. I feel blessed for that.

#15 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

We are finally going to be able to release the route and the rolling stock, in December for Christmas. I am working now on the sessions for the release and for some media coverage and articles that will help tell the story.

It has been a long journey that began here with us on this forum and a group of members here who helped create the first version of the rolling stock, except for the engines..and then we had to move it to Trainz format as there was a very good route made but it lacked all historic accuracy on the towns, and setting and other structures so it has been a long long road. That version of the route in Trainz was actually 12 years in the making.

It is a railroad and history worthy of sharing and telling the story of, and I am very very proud of the work that the entire team did, with help from many including members from here who gave a huge amount of help and effort and sharing to make this possible.

I look forward for all to have the chance to see it, and we do hope to make a version for MSTS OR eventually just will take time

The route will be freeware as will be the custom rolling stock pack of 160 fully accurate and detailed Locomotives, Passenger cars, freight cars, MOW equipment and even the huge Steam Powered Rotary Snow Plows. It will be released thru the TrainzItalia website and forum: and the Creator of the route is GianFranco Messaggi (Jango) and I was for lack of a better term the Director of Design, and Historical Research and did the layouts for the towns, mills, locations, and created some 900 of the structures, figures, and other models for the route along with a great team from the UK, Italy, Canada, and the US, Dean Steam and Gman347 and ckawahara were part of the team effort from our members here, Tim Muir very kindly allowed Wayne Campbell to edit and adjust some of his wonderful early 1900s freight cars which we used for templates when we had to make the rolling stock over for Trainz format. Wayne also created our wonderful passenger car fleet and Paul(Geman345) expanded it with his new amazing Blender Skills. Paul also expanded our Caboose Fleet, and added MOW cars and continues to work with me on the project.

Our team Lead Engineer and Trainmaster is Bob Deming from the UK, he is one of the few people qualified to certify historic steam engines in the UK for use and data of steam equipment, our other lead Team member is John Emmott a Retired US Airforce Colonel expert in photo recognition who also loved the Moffat Road and is one of the current experts in its history and equipment. He and Dean helped me learn the details and started my own research and study and with all of us working together we have completed the Winter phasse of the route. We hope to do Spring, Summer and Fall in the future and to do a MSTS OR version at some point as all of the structures were created in TSM and are available in MSTS format. Other members here gave advice and help and some helped with historic background like Railguy which helped us understand aspects of the operation and history of Colorado Railroading.

Been quite a journey.

http://www.trainzitalia.com/forum/

here are a few pics

Attached File(s)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users