• You cannot reply to this topic

MSTS Registry - where is it? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:02 AM

Where does MSTS put its registry entries?

I just clean-installed it on my new PC and want to back-up the registry data, so in the future, I could just do with a "copy-n-paste" (REG-script, actually, but similarly easy).

Also, does MSTS BIN installation alter anything in the registry?

Cheers, Markus

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

No a direct answer, but at TS I do recall several topics about the MSTS registry, the reg setting for the display, and the use of a copy and paste option to install MSTS on other OS's. Perhaps a forum search? I know Otto has several such contributions.

Update: try this..

http://www.trainsim....=registry+entry

#3 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hi Marcus !

I might have misunderstood the question but I think that you might use the same file that I do . There's a zip file I think that I got from OTTO's MSTS downloads . It's called MSTS-REGISTRY-REPAIRER.zip . You can put in your own destination or It shows some probable entries and all you do to change it is change the location in the file itself , run the file and register MSTS to where ever you choose . I've used it for years and had no troubles . I change it frequently because I have a few different installs on different drives .You will find a lot of info about the same problem at " Steam4me " by Yuri . If you can't find it let me know . OK ?

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

:lol2: both, that has helped me :)

On more question, as asked above: Does MSTS Bin alter any MSTS registry values?

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 07 July 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

On more question, as asked above: Does MSTS Bin alter any MSTS registry values?
Cheers, Markus

Do not know for sure, but I have not been able to locate an entry if it did change the registry. Also, several of .dll's used by .BIN are a copy and paste replacement made after installation. Raildriver for instance. The word 'translated' suggests to me that after .BIN installs and does whatever it does, the names and locations of the orginal MSTS installed components are not changed in location.

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

View Postckawahara, on 07 July 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

[...] The word 'translated' suggests to me that after .BIN installs and does whatever it does, the names and locations of the orginal MSTS installed components are not changed in location.

I can´t follow you there - could you please explain what translation (as from English to Spanish has to do with registry settings being added / removed / changed?

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Follow up to my question RE MSTSbin registry changes - I want to know this in order to determine if copying over my MSTS installation (bin-updated) from my old to the new computer will work without causing problems.

Cheers, Markus

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

In one word, yes. Qualifier, registry must be set up one way or another, either using Otto's software, or by installing from the discs first. If you use trainstore, this must have everything unstored before making any moves.

#9 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Markus.

Let me see if i can make some sense here. When BIN is installs, it appears to me that it modifies, changes, the contents of a few .dll files. These modified files appear to be the same as those that MSTS installed originally. This is just a guess on my part. By modifying only, the registry does not get changed.

I installed BIN in only the original MSTS installation. From the original, I have created many, many, mini-routes, and as far as I can tell, BIN is being used in all of them. I would think that this would not be possible if BIN required a registry entry. Familiar with Conbuilder? The Conbuilder Explorer does alter the registry entry for MSTS when CB is used to create/modify consists in other locations other than the original MSTS install. Since BIN appears to be running regardless of which Mini I am using, and regardless of where the registry entry for MSTS is stating it is, I guess that BIN has no registry requirement.

Hope this makes sense. Again, all conjecture on my part.

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

@ Mervyn: The nromal MSTS install has been run, so those registry entries should be there. The question was rather, if I am safe to just copy the MSTS-bin updated files over the clean-installed ones.

@ Craig: :) , that is enough for me (I suspected mostly the same things as you described above, but wasn´t sure). :)

Cheers, Markus

PS: After all, if I mess it up, I can simply re-install MSTS, then install BIN, and then do the rest. (Re-installing MSTS is no longer such a pain for me - I created ISO files from the disks, which can be mounted as virtual CD drives and thus be run much faster - a complete install only takes 5 minutes, opposed to half an hour when installing from the physical CDs)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users