Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shape File Manager 25 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

I need your help because I shouldn't have to touch this in the first place before asking for help here in this forum. OK what I did is to install the program of Shape File Manager 25 (SFM25) into B:\ Drive where the main folder is for MSTS and two other sub folders are Microsoft Train Simulator and Open Rails and just add another sub folder for SFM25. I installed the files into the folder of SFM25. then send the shortcut of SFM25 hta file to create on desktop. After this I clicked the icon of SFM25 and got the error message which tell me that " B:\SFM25\sfm25.hta is not a valid Windows32 application. " So I right-click this file to open other program and I chose " Internet Explorer " but I shouldn't do this in the first place and should have leave it alone as is. Now I need help and how do I get this fix not to open with Internet Explorer. Oh one more thing is that my operating system is Microsoft Windows 7 64X. That's my fault to made a stupid mistake. Your help would be appreciated to fix this problem.

Thank you,

John

#2 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

It's fixed now but the icon show Internet Explorer not Microsoft ® HTML Application and how do I change the icon from Internet Explorer to Microsoft ® HTML Application in SFM25 Properties after right-click. That's all I need to change the icon and everything else is working. I found the information about this at the forum of SevenForums for Windows 7 through Google Search.

Thanks again,

John

#3 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi John,
I fear you've done a lot more than was necessary!!
All Shape File Manager needs is for Internet Explorer to be installed on the PC - it doesn't have to be the default browser. It needs IE because it's the only program which can open .hta files, which SFM is.

You only need to rename the icon on your Desktop - right-click on it, select Rename then type whatever you want (maybe SFM 2.5?!).

Don't forget that you need to tell SFM where the ffeditc_unicode.exe file is located - usually in the default MSTS UTILS/FFEDIT folder.

Cheers,
Ged

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

In case other folks read this... don't overthink this installation of the update. If you already have a working version of sfm...do this

The readmes for sfm25 states: "Super Simple Installation: SFM25 will look for FFEDITC_UNICODE.EXE in the same folder that contains SMF25".

Unzip the SFM25.zip file and copy everything into your existing sfm folder. Copy the ffeditc_unicode.exe also, if it is not already there.

Change the target line on your desktop shortcut to read: "C:\Shape File Mgr\sfm25.hta" (this is my install....of course change the path to the correct drive and folder name for your install)

And....presto... the shortcut will open the new sfm25.hta .... and....rename the short cut, if necessary as posted above.

#5 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have followed your instructions and want to say thank you for your step by step instruction but unfortunately the icon still show " Internet Explorer " with the letter " e " on it but when I clicked the shortcut icon to open up the program and it is working to do the Shape File Manager. Guess that I will be stuck to see the desktop icon for SFM25 with showing " e " on icon box.

Thank you,

John

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

John, right click desktop shortcut -- choose properties (bottom of list) -- choose change icon and pick something you like. I am using the 5 pointed gold star on the first page. (I think this is a standard icon that comes with Win7).

I may not be reading your post correctly, but it appears that all you also need to do is rename the desktop icon... again right click on the shortcut, choose rename from the popup menu - it should be right above properties - and just rename the icon to Shape File MGR or whatever you like.

Good to know the program is working.

#7 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:52 AM

The icon has been changed after restarted the computer. That's weird. Anyway now all good with SFM25.

John

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users