Elvas Tower: Switching train control - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switching train control Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

( See blueprint here https://blueprints.l...h-train-control ).
To be explicit switching train control means that the game player can select another (existing) train to drive it.
Maybe it's time to begin to talk about this.
This is how I see the sequence of train control switching:
- autopilot mode must be on (because so also the player train is an AI train)
- the game player must switch the player train to autopilot (Alt-A); alternatively, he can decide to suspend the motion of the player train (only if it was already at stillstand)
- the game player opens a new vertical window, showing all AI trains, together with an indication if they can be driven (cabview present) or not;
- in this window the game player selects a train; this selection has the same effect as Alt-9, that is camera views are switched to this new train (it is also possible to enter the cabview, as already available for autopiloted train; Alt-9 is not sufficient, because it does not allow to immediately select the desired train;
- when the world environment and the consist is fully loaded (remember that this may require many seconds if the selected train is not in a tile that was already loaded) the game player may enter a command to drive the train;
- at this point the train control management software switches this train to a game player driven train;
- a command is available to optionally resume motion of the former player train, if it was suspended;
- the sequence may be restarted to switch to a new train or to switch back to initial player train.

Before even considering if starting the implementation it would be nice if there were an agreement in general terms on the above points.

I am talking here about switching train in Activity mode, because it is the one I know. However some parts of this eventual development (e.g. the new window part) could be used also for switching in Autopilot mode.

#2 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Would this process work to switch to a helper waiting in a siding so that: Player train pulls up alongside the siding; switch to helper engine; run helper engine out of siding and onto rear of train; Ctrl-E to go back to player engine and proceed? And reverse this action when the grade is surmounted: Ctrl-E; put helper away; switch back to player? (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

:sign_thanks:

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

That's not the easiest test for this function, however combining it and the join and split feature should get the job working.

#4 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Seriously needed on routes like the RGS with 4 major summits to climb or Raton Pass/Glorieta Pass on the Santa Fe, not to mention Tehachapi. Having to bring the player train to the helper rather than the other way around just isn't very prototypical. ;)

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

With the join and split extended ai shunting you can bring the helper (as AI train) to the player already now :)

#6 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

I'll have to figure out how that is done and apply it to the operational situations I mentioned.

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

I have Run8 and use it .... they have coded a method of selecting a engine - while in the simulation, clicking on it (which highlights the engine) , this selects the engine as the player engine. Once all the is accomplished, the CabView becomes available and off you go. (a simplified explanation)

Could this idea of any engine with a CabView (and thus capable of being run) could be somehow selected while in the activity. Perhaps something interactive could be added to one of the HUDS.
Alternatively something like I have read in James Ross's post.... is it an html list...containing all the engines with cabviews, could be opened and the user could select one to use.

Carlo...have you ever seen how it is done in Run8 or know someone that uses the Run8 simulator. It is actually a very good way of switching engines.
Perhaps the basic premise of choosing any engine with a working CabView could be adapted for OR.

In any case, I like your idea....is the method you are blueprinting mean that a player could choose any engine without the necessity of having to couple to it?

Edit: After careful rereading of your initial post... I believe it does mean this? I think I answered my own question.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 04 July 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

In any case, I like your idea....is the method you are blueprinting mean that a player could choose any engine without the necessity of having to couple to it?

Yes.

#9 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

OK, let's do a scenario. Extra 20 West with helper 41 cut in arrive at Cima Summit from Durango.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 02-43-03.jpg

The train is cut in two and run forward.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 03-09-40.jpg

The helper is cut off and backs into the siding.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 03-11-29.jpg

Now comes the tricky part. After the helper is in the clear the road engine backs the front of the train up, couples to the rear of the train and pumps air.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 03-16-53.jpg

More tricks. While the train is setting up its air, the helper pulls out of the siding and proceeds to Mancos where it will help the train over Millwood Summit.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 03-30-14.jpg

Tricks again, the train now proceeds West to Mancos.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-07-04 03-34-55.jpg

Carlo, can your plan do that without all the jockeying back and forth I had to do to take these shots? :sign_sorry:

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hi Herb,
before I answer you, I need some info also on the ideal shunting that generated the initial train composition.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users