Elvas Tower: Provide foundation for interactive content on secondary screens/devices - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Provide foundation for interactive content on secondary screens/devices Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Chris and James: SOUNDS GREAT!

I can hardly wait to see it in action.

#32 User is offline   Bill 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:32 AM

Hi Chris,

Any chance of getting a copy of the API code you built for the external controls?

I wrote my own interface based on the RailDriver code but of course it is limited in what outbound data can be exchanged. I ended up expanding the RailDriver functionality to gather more indicator data and add flexibility in how the external controls interact with the simulation. The data exchange certainly impacts performance especially with slower machines.

Adding to the other comments, a WebSocket interface makes sense in my book as I envision multiple Network enabled devices talking to the simulation to gather the data they need to display values or return input. With network aware hardware like Raspberry PIs, the possibilities become endless. An application on the PI could initiate a request for specific simulator values minimizing the data exchange to only what is needed.

Bill

View Postcjakeman, on 30 December 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

HighAspect has configured a webpage for trying out the HUD information. Like the HUD, there are common data values and you can switch between the secondary data values. Currently the style is very plain.

Attachment Secondary HUD.jpg

The magic thing about the data provided by the webserver is that anyone with webskills can produce (and share) their own webpages to show what they want to see organised in a way to suit themselves.

I made an extension recently for a French member who needed the cab instrument values extracting to drive his hardware. My simple scheme worked but was primitive and not worth including in OR. Thanks to HighAspect, I can now extend OR with an API to extract those cab instrument values and they can be displayed on a second screen/device any way you want.

#33 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostBill, on 16 April 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

Any chance of getting a copy of the API code you built for the external controls?

Yes, since you ask so nicely :-)
I've sent you a PM.

#34 User is offline   qrig 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

I ended up having a go at this as well, just purely as a learning exercise for a C#'s way of doing things (seasoned JS/PHP dev by trade). I implemented a version of dhealy's WebSocketSharp which is initialized just prior to the renderer, with listeners added to HUDWindow and CompassWindow for the time being to see what can be extracted. As a side note, I did notice there was quite a bit of deviation with the latitude/longitude calculated on most routes which means an adjustment has to be made per route to make the data anywhere near useful for a moving map.

I'll keep tinkering since it's a wildly useful concept.

#35 User is offline   renzo428 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:19 AM

Dear friends,
of this interesting feature, was there no development?
We have built a interface similar to RailDrive but we would like more compatibility with OR.

bye, renzo.

#36 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

Hi
I am replying to this thread, so not to obscure Carlo's OR NewYear MG rev. 49 release.

Chris and I are aware that Safari for iPad's and iPhones does not work. However on Apple computers such as an iMac Safari does work. Chris is looking into a possible fix.

Thank you Carlo for your releasing of the code. Also I like to give credit to Dan Reynolds(HighAspect) an inactive developer for his initial code release. This is the base code of which Chris and I worked from.

Bill

#37 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:02 AM

Hello,

Is it possible to view sounddebug information too with this ? This wil very nice if you wanna test sounds.

For moment i test API pages from Carlo, and it works fine. Just some strange characters like "?????" on some lines.

Nice wil be too for engineers to have 1 page where you can display all information you want, i mean combine locomotive information (traction data) with brake information, that you see this on 1 page.

And handy too for small screens or resolutions is that you can config the fonttype and height.

For Android cellphones maybe a "app" wil be nice.

Maybe with this system it wil be possible to play sounds of stations/stops, like is possible in OMSI2 if you create lines/routes...

Greetz,

#38 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Hi Stijn, there is nothing from me in this functionality :)

#39 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

Hello Carlo,

Ow ok, i'am little but confused, sorry. In that case my information is for person that have made this and is busy with that project ;-)

Greetz,

Stijn

#40 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

I'm glad to hear this isn't completely dead (or have I misunderstood?). FWIW IMO it is pretty important that it is provided for all phones / browsers rather than just Apple's.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users