Elvas Tower: Sightseeing anyone? Autopilot is my default! - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sightseeing anyone? Autopilot is my default! Best caboose and obs wagon for sightseeing? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have been very lazy lately.... Alt+A and I just ride around looking at stuff. So, with that in mind.... what would be the best caboose to hook on the end of a freight to ride around in and observe.
The only criteria here is which caboose has the best observation possibilites and perhaps the nicest interior modeling that can be found.

Also for passenger how about an observation car with the same qualifications?

Anyone with recommendations....? and can I get anymore lazy?? :)

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

I have looked in the library and found Tim Muir's NP #1440 33ft Caboose, with all the different passenger views, plus an wonderfully modeled interior.

The coupler does present a problem for modern trains....?? Although if I saw a train roll by with a vintage restored wooden caboose on the end, I would consider that a sight well worth seeing.

#3 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 24 June 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

I have looked in the library and found Tim Muir's NP #1440 33ft Caboose, will all the different passenger views, plus an wonderfully modeled interior.

The coupler does present a problem for modern trains....?? Although if I saw a train roll by with a vintage restored wooden caboose on the end, I would consider that a sight well worth seeing.

I took your advise and downloaded the caboose. It looks great from the outside. However, I am having a problem viewing the interior. Hitting the '5' key gives me the interior views of the BA&P box cabs at the beginning of the consist but I cannot get the interior view of the caboose. I am using the latest version of OR. Is anyone else having this problem?http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/furiousPC.gif

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

Downloaded it just before I posted and then had some errands to finish. Have not had a chance to install as of this post.

When I opened the Np33cab1.ace which is referenced by the Inside view shape file, this is what was displayed, that can't be right. All the other ace files (and there are quite a few appear normal.)
Inside (
PassengerCabinFile ( NP_33ft_Caboose_1440.s )
PassengerCabinHeadPos ( -0.75 2.58 2.25 )
RotationLimit ( 40 360 0 )
StartDirection ( 0 -180 0 )
Sound ( "GenFreightWag1.sms" )

Wait... is the appearance because it is a DXT1 + Alpha? Nope, other DXT1 look okay,

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2015-06-24 15-37-32-383.jpg

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

The cab loads in ConBuilder, looks really fine. Here's an inside shot made with the #8 camera in OR.

and no I cannot get a #5 view with this caboose, using one of BLW engines and it's passenger view is okay. Same type of "virtual" inside view as the caboose,

No warnings concerning this caboose in the OR log. Is this an OR bug, or something about the model itself?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2015-06-24 15-51-25-253.jpg

#6 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

The reason that ACE file looks so weird is because it's compressed. An uncompressed 2048x2048 ACE file is generally around 16 MB, which would be nothing more than excessive space in a ZIP folder.

For some reason, autopilot isn't working for me. I'm sure that I'm running on a path which isn't a tiny stub, but when I press Alt+A in the sim, I don't start moving automatically. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

#7 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

Is there a way the Autopilot will work with Explore mode? I don't really have the time or want to make activities, timetables, etc etc just to hit the rails as a 'passenger'.

I remember MSTS would do that with it's autopilot and just follow the speed limits and such in explore, is again, there a reason this cannot be done with OR?

#8 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

Downloaded it just before I posted and then had some errands to finish. Have not had a chance to install as of this post.

When I opened the Np33cab1.ace which is referenced by the Inside view shape file, this is what was displayed, that can't be right. All the other ace files (and there are quite a few appear normal.)
Inside (
PassengerCabinFile ( NP_33ft_Caboose_1440.s )
PassengerCabinHeadPos ( -0.75 2.58 2.25 )
RotationLimit ( 40 360 0 )
StartDirection ( 0 -180 0 )
Sound ( "GenFreightWag1.sms" )

Wait... is the appearance because it is a DXT1 + Alpha? Nope, other DXT1 look okay,
Attached thumbnail(s)

Not sure what you used to open the DXT compressed ace file. If it was TgaTool2A then you will get the results shown. Although you can use TgaTool2A to make a DXT file, "DXTbmp" by Martin Wright works better for opening them.
Here's the link. (http://www.mwgfx.co....rams/dxtbmp.htm)

The other files you are talking about having opened correctly were probably not in the DXT format but just .bmp or .tga converted to ace files.

Allen

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostKazareh, on 28 June 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Is there a way the Autopilot will work with Explore mode? I don't really have the time or want to make activities, timetables, etc etc just to hit the rails as a 'passenger'.

I remember MSTS would do that with it's autopilot and just follow the speed limits and such in explore, is again, there a reason this cannot be done with OR?

Almost everything is possible, however this requires generating a hidden activity, because the autopiloted train is an AI train; this requires development work and this is not in my plans as for now (maybe it's in the plans of someone else).

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am now using Tim Muir's very fine, excellent caboose NP #1440 33ft Caboose. Just the type of car II was looking for, actually much better than I hopped for.

Thanks to RTP for spotting the extra bracket and thanks again to Tim for putting the time and effort into making this excellent model. Now to try all the inside views.

(thread about the inside view not showing in OR >>> http://www.elvastowe...0-33ft-caboose/ )

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users