• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help on Tsection.dat file..... before i go bald.... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

Simon, I would encourage you to join the open rails team. Good to have everyone on the same page and singing from the same hymnal, as they say (on this side of the pond, anyway). Maybe you and Goku could work together too.
Christopher

#22 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Simon, do you know anything about this value? I'm curious if it has any use or I can use it in my editor for something new. It is only one value I know nothing about.
TrVectorSections ( 16 0 0 -5367 15341 1 0 1 00 -5367 15341 -46.2935 1 634.768 0 6.28318 0
It is always 00 but it can be 00 - FF :) I tried all combinations but doesn't see any effect.

#23 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:TS 2022,TANE, OpenRails

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostGoku, on 25 June 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Simon, do you know anything about this value? I'm curious if it has any use or I can use it in my editor for something new. It is only one value I know nothing about.
TrVectorSections ( 16 0 0 -5367 15341 1 0 1 00 -5367 15341 -46.2935 1 634.768 0 6.28318 0
It is always 00 but it can be 00 - FF :thumbup3: I tried all combinations but doesn't see any effect.

Ah ha... I have seen this one value heaps, while investigating the Tsection and track stuff. And yeah it always is 00. Now you tell me 00-FF (any lowercase ones like ff?) This sounds like its a hexadecimal value to me (or Hex for short.) that this parameter/value uses here.

It helps a bit (a very microscopic bit of help, without knowing what it is they at Microsoft were trying to represent in hex!) And as you probably already know.... hex is used heaps by programmers, its normally used for things like Predefined messages or Colours (like in HTML hex for a colour on web page) or certain kinds of INDEXES, it has a hex value, so there is probably a list of what it was or DOES mean to represent. So this new mysterious 00-FF value/parameter, is something else to add onto my to-do list of things to investigate about the inner workings of tracks, and World/Route editing... The way you describe its behaviour, it sounds like something they left for future use, or is something that is not implemented properly or Implemented at all in MSTS code...

We really do need to find out what this is, It would be a good idea to also document all our findings about the track and route system, and put them all on one page, Before we can code stuff that screws about with it. This is getting very interesting... Some more reverse engineering is in order!

I wouldn't mind collaborating with you on this. Just PM message me if you like so we can see were things are going, and what we have found out.

I do know about C++ and Qt. I have used Qt before and quite a bit... And not just on Windows. ;)

#24 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

View Postvince, on 24 June 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Being able to select/mix catenary, third rail (some areas have tracks with both) and non-electrified while laying the track would be a blessing for the Long Island RR I'm building.
Pictures here . . . http://www.trainsim....php?albumid=248

regards,
vince cockeram

GOD! they were doing EVERY kind of traction on that old route it seems!....

See what I mean? We do need to fix this track and overhead, and Third rails and gauges problems, they are important to lots of people. You are yet another! Lots of countries have this situation. This route is US, so you have Subway/metro trains with 3rd rail, the more modern Overhead with poles style, and non-electrified in places... This is ONE part of the problem that we are, and I am trying to fix, In an elegant way that is less susceptible to breakage, like we have now with MSTS, (Like some older routes that was built ages ago, goes and overwrites your more current or the latest version 44 GLOBAL Tsection with a really old one, and ALL your routes break as a result).

All that aside for the moment, I like the route you are building.... I'm looking forward to it being available. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

#25 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:55 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 24 June 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Simon, I would encourage you to join the open rails team. Good to have everyone on the same page and singing from the same hymnal, as they say (on this side of the pond, anyway). Maybe you and Goku could work together too.
Christopher

Yes. Sounds good. I will do just that. It also seems working with Goku, maybe coming close, He has just pointed out a new value/parameter in the track system, that BOTH of us know nothing about... I am going to investigate. I am going to start my investigation in the OpenRails source code (A Logical place to start, since I have been doing an svn pull, twice daily, sometimes more, especially if I have found a bug, The bug probably gets fixed in that third or 4 pull, and all is right again).

I will then see if there are anymore surprises or other mysterious parameters/values that we need to know about, And proceed to document the whole track laying system properly, like Microsoft/Kuju should have done in the beginning. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/I-Agree.gif

#26 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

In msts HEX values are used mostly for flags. Indexes etc are stored as decimal value.

#27 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 June 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

In msts HEX values are used mostly for flags. Indexes etc are stored as decimal value.

Yes it seems to be a 'flag' of some kind, But setting a flag to what?? I have layed out a two tile test with two sets of different track packs, uk fine-scale, xtracks, newroads, with and without shadows... And I still see this 00 value, i replced it with different hex values and even 01, 02 03 04 etc... NOTHING changed and trains ran on it just ran all the same, electric and non-electric...

so do you really think it is hex? as we all know, lots of programmers write strange, or just plainly bad code designs, making a value look like hex, when it really was not hex. (it was very lucky that this program, had the source available, and we were able to find out what the original programmer was doing, but this is not the case with MSTS...) so i am still investigating......

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

#28 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

Msts fail to load tdb if you put in it other values than 0-F, so it is hex.
Also for decimal you will have one 0 not 00.

#29 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 June 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Msts fail to load tdb if you put in it other values than 0-F, so it is hex.
Also for decimal you will have one 0 not 00.

I noticed this, I did enter decimal, then just rubbish values into it, and MSTS did crash instantly. So Hex it is. But we still don't know what it is representing. I had a good bit of a look last night, but I am still in the dark as to what it might be... Another Idea is to look through OpenRails source, and find anything that deal with or in Hex, I am doing this now. It might shed some light on what this value might be.

#30 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Kicking this old thread back to life, I cannot find the specifications for creating a track shape in the tsection file. Yes, I see thousands of examples but what I want to find out is this: If you elevate a road shape above it's origin point of 0,0,0 do you need to show that elevation in the shape definition of the tsection file? I think you do but would like a confirmation before I start editing both shapes and shape definitions.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users