• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#1861 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

And of course you can use all terrain editing tools for distant terrain.

For example maps (OR):

https://i.imgur.com/NH7Zrah.png

Or enable water, hide patches, edit heightmap etc.

DM water works in OR, but it is limited to standard view distance. So, some work needs to be done here.

https://i.imgur.com/N4uwNP2.png

#1862 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

Great!

#1863 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

Wow! Super! Great news ideed! Thank you.

#1864 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

I have been fighting the AE all afternoon and evening. For the record, I'm running version 0.6947 as an Administrator. Also, a bit of background about me. I am not a route builder. I only make minor route modifications, and few of those. That said, I appreciate the much better route building functionality that the TSRE provides. Without it, I doubt that we would see very many more OR routes. My forte is building activities and I think that I'm pretty good at it. I took a long hiatus from that when OR's functionality pretty much swamped the MSTS AE's abilities to adapt to the new OR features. So, I'm glad that the TSRE Activity Editor is being developed. Unfortunately, while the TSRE AE has a lot of better features than the old MSTS AE, it still is, well, buggy. Here is a list of what does not work or does not work reliably that I've found just in the last couple of days.

-A modified service will not save.

-Saving an activity after re-opening works most of the time, but still fails on occasion.

-After placing a few loose consists, it is necessary to exit the TSRE or, sooner or later, it will crash--probably because it overwhelms the RAM when jumping around in a route to place loose consists.

-Without keeping Windows Explorer open in the background, it is impossible to know what the AE has saved or not saved.

My proposed fixes:

1. The AE should have a saving routine for each separate function--e.g., Services, traffic, etc. AND THE PROGRAM SHOULD SHOW CONFIRMATION THAT THE FILE WAS SAVED. It's not an acceptable solution to have to constantly look in Windows Explorer to see if a file is actually saving or not, or to assume that hitting the "master" save button is correctly saving all the subservient files in the activity--it's not.

2. When an existing activity is selected, the other subservient functions (e.g., services, traffic, etc.) should populate based on what was last saved in the .act file. This would save tons of headaches and mistakes in saving .act files.

3. I see no current reason to combine the file saving function for the AE with that of the TSRE. The only reason that I could think of would be if, as TS20** does, it was possible to add scenery objects that are activity-based. Even that, however, should be taken care of in the AE. There is no reason to disturb the route files while creating or editing an activity--EVER! In fact, the only reason that the RE should even be open during AE work is to allow the user to visually place loose consists.

As I noted in another post, in my prior career I evaluated the functionality and user interfaces of some very complex software and made recommendations to the programmers about how to make the interface more logical and user-friendly (the program used millions of lines of code, saved up to 99 versions PER DAY of a record, and managed data sized well into Terabytes). While I was not a programmer, I was essentially the liaison between the programmers and the users. In that light, I would hope that my observations and suggestions would be given serious consideration. Thanks.

#1865 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:36 AM

-A modified service will not save.

A step by step example would be nice.

-After placing a few loose consists, it is necessary to exit the TSRE or, sooner or later, it will crash--probably because it overwhelms the RAM when jumping around in a route to place loose consists.

You are right. But you can set lower textureQuality in settings.txt (in fact the number must be higher than, for example textureQuality = 2 or textureQuality = 4)

Also, I think your TSRE crashed because of loose consist bug and not out of ram. The bug was fixed in http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6948.exe and you are using 0.6947.

1. The AE should have a saving routine for each separate function--e.g., Services, traffic, etc.

That is not good option because all the files are connected. So you might end with files out of sync.

There is no reason to disturb the route files while creating or editing an activity--EVER! In fact, the only reason that the RE should even be open during AE work is to allow the user to visually place loose consists.

Of course there will be solution for this. AE is still in development.

2. When an existing activity is selected, the other subservient functions (e.g., services, traffic, etc.) should populate based on what was last saved in the .act file. This would save tons of headaches and mistakes in saving .act files.

But .. it works this way. Examples?

#1866 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

Here is my service example. I created a player service in the TSRE AE, then saved successfully. Sometime later (actually many times), I went back to that service to change the consist in the service. I then closed the service window, then hit the master "save." The .act file updated, but the .srv did not. I tried this again--several times, leaving the service window open. No go.

I installed 0.6948. The .act file will save, but ONLY if some change is made in the track viewer--i.e., adding a loose consist. Changes made by editing any of the .srv files, etc. in the right panel do not save after they are created the first time, so far as I can tell.

#1867 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Ok, I will look at it.

#1868 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

Sheesh!!! I can't get this program to work. It might be my ancient machine, but nothing will load. Not from my mini-routes, and not from the main installation. I'm on XP on a 386. But I'm using the 32 bit version. I just can't get this thing working. Of course, I can't get MSTS Editors and Tools to work either. I'm getting very frustrated. I used to be able to edit activities and consists. Now, I have ConVoi and YardMaster for consists, and nothing for activities. I was hoping to use the TSRE activity editor, but I guess that's a no-go now.

#1869 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Check if your GPU has opengl 3 support.

#1870 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Looks like it's ATI Radion x1300 128mb. It might not support opengl 3.

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users