• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#521 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thank you. Sorry about that...

I do hope you take some of my suggestions, and I haven't restated some bugs...

I really do appreciate what you're doing here. I was kinda spoiled by Trainz Surveyor, and have always wanted a more intuitive route editor for MSTS...

#522 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

So just for fun I used the Maps to see how far off the Marias Pass 5 is on tracks and roads and its WAY WAY WAY Off!!! The whole route would need to be redone from the ground up! I knew it was off but not this off! Here are a couple shots of what I am talking about. Would sure be nice to have a accurate Marias Pass route some day!

Brandon

Attached File(s)

#523 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

If those grid squares are 128 meters then it looks like a shift og around 50-60 meters. Not too bad but then the original nec was missing 5 miles betweeen Philadelphia and Wilmington. ( and also the nec4 but most folks never notice )
regards,:pleasantry:
vince

#524 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

yeah it would be nice to have redone routes of the Original routes just for the fun of it! Been thinking of redoing the Marias Pass Route ever since I went out there in 2013 but have never had the time to start on it!

#525 User is offline   Casey Jones ICRR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

May have already been covered. Can this new RE merge two routes? And if so, can one get around the darn TDB process prior to merging the routes?? (That maybe wrong, of the many docs I've read about merging routes, quite a few say both routes need a clean TDB rebuild with no errors prior to trying the merge.) The two routes I'm trying to merge both come up with the same error saying track database error: 'remove_end_end' one non-vector, one vector and I for the life of me can't find what is causing this error!!!! TDB is not my best friend!!!!

#526 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

No. Merging routes not possible. You need to use other tools.

#527 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostCasey Jones ICRR, on 01 March 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

..............SNIP................................ The two routes I'm trying to merge both come up with the same error saying track database error: 'remove_end_end' one non-vector, one vector and I for the life of me can't find what is causing this error!!!! TDB is not my best friend!!!!

Hi CJ,
There is a way to fix the error! Here: >>>===> http://msts.steam4me...end_vector.html

BUT !! . . . .
If your MSTS is installed in the default location ( ANY of the windows \programs files folders ) you will find it impossible to rebuild the database files.
Follow the instructions very carefully!
If you do not setup the rebuild run properly by deleting the correct database files (tdb,rdb. tit, rit,and all *.bk world files) it will NOT perform a successful rebuild. i.e. It will run but not rebuild but simply re-write the bad database files leaving you with the same bad data and the errors.
The rebuilder creates a new set of database files to replace the ones you deleted as part of the process. . . .providing of course that MSTS is not installed in the windows protected program file directories!

MSTS install instructions here: >>>===> http://msts.steam4me...lling_msts.html
Everything MUST be in order to be successful. Skip any steps and you will fail as the MSTS software is very. VERY picky!

regards,
vince

#528 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

Next version will include new amazing consist editor and simple shape viewer.

Core functionality done, now UI and more functions ..
http://i.imgur.com/Pj0iZvT.png

#529 User is offline   dekosoft 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

Impressive, I dig it. But what about finishing the track tools? It seems that you are close to having a fully functional tool -- is it possible to join the track sections, and have standard functions, like cut, copy and paste and an undo key?

#530 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 29 February 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

The matemeatics for Goode-Homolisine has been published and a quick look sometime back it appears OR uses the published formula, there appear to be two possible causes. As I understand it is that first being MSTS skews the grid so the projection is no longer true Goode-Homolisine. The second possible cause is due I believe to the "great white void problem" so some route developers to get around this shifts the entire route so it displays properly in MSTS. This appears to have been done in the Adelaide hills and SE route.

I can't speak for route shifting. I've just noticed that when I record Lat/Lon coordinates (via screen shot) in Open Rails that going to those coordinates in the MSTS Route Editor puts me somewhere else. Close but not on the spot.

View PostATSF3751, on 01 March 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

So just for fun I used the Maps to see how far off the Marias Pass 5 is on tracks and roads and its WAY WAY WAY Off!!! The whole route would need to be redone from the ground up! I knew it was off but not this off! Here are a couple shots of what I am talking about. Would sure be nice to have a accurate Marias Pass route some day!

I wouldn't get too excited about it. No route representation is ever going to be really perfect, especially with MSTS and its skewed world projection. If parts of a route can remind someone who's actually been there of the location, then I think that's good enough. There comes a time when one is counting ties on Google Maps between mileposts or something... it's just not worth it, life is too short.

View PostCasey Jones ICRR, on 01 March 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

The two routes I'm trying to merge both come up with the same error saying track database error: 'remove_end_end' one non-vector, one vector and I for the life of me can't find what is causing this error!!!! TDB is not my best friend!!!!

The most common cause of that error are track or road pieces that cross world tile boundaries at too shallow of an angle (are too long), or, occupy more than 2 world tiles. The location the Route Editor camera is at when the error appears is usually pretty close to where the problem is. It's frustrating but it is definitely possible to get all those problems cleaned up. If you are having trouble tracking down the issues, start a new thread on here and I'm sure someone can help you out.
Edit: I see you already did this. :)

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users