• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#451 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

Goku, on 22 February 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

why bother with mosaic, photo editors etc if my editor already has built in painting tools and they will be improved?

You cannot compete with a real photo editor, and maybe it isn't worth the effort trying to, at all. :)

#452 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

gpz, on 22 February 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

You cannot compete with a real photo editor, and maybe it isn't worth the effort trying to, at all. :)

I will say though, there is an advantage to the built-in system Goku has--you can paint on tiles with existing objects and "touch up" . I use it for painting around buildings and superdetailing existing textures, or doing touch-up on existing mosaic cells. Last I used the program, I still had issues getting it to paint consistently across tile boundaries but I digress. On the whole it's a lot like the the Railroad Tycoon terrain texturing program so it's fairly straightforward.

However, Mosaic wins for stuff like bulk editing and "large-scale" stuff. It also allows for precision rotation of texture maps that have a distinct pattern that need their texture maps to line up with a slope, such as cliff faces. I'll likely post a mosaic tutorial over on here or the Dekosoft forums in due time.

#453 User is offline   Frank 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

gpz, on 22 February 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

That may be, but in my opinion current painting tools are one of the best features in this amazing editor...can see why mosaic/photoshop users would like some support for the way they're currently used to do things, and can see that not all of the possibilities offered by an image editor, but i'd rather wait to know how current editor features will be improved...given what the author has done so far, i have no doubt he can implement any feature anyone can wish for :) .

Edit: Not the most useful feedback, but i just want to say to the author that the best word i'd have to describe his work is "miraculous" - and at times he manages to make it look like easy, too!

#454 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

As has been indicated some countries do not have DEM info that produces sufficiently accurate terrain.

DEM data can be supplemented along the rail corridor with topographical map information. Whilst this may be a bit more time consuming, it can produce reasonably accurate results.

An example of a terrain tool that can support data input of topographical maps is TerraForm (available from both trainsim and uktrainsim).

I think that it would be good to have this type of interface also available to provide an alternative where accurate DEM data is not readily available.

#455 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

That Genset Foamer, on 22 February 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

However, Mosaic wins for stuff like bulk editing and "large-scale" stuff. It also allows for precision rotation of texture maps that have a distinct pattern that need their texture maps to line up with a slope, such as cliff faces. I'll likely post a mosaic tutorial over on here or the Dekosoft forums in due time.

Please do detailed description with examples of beloved mosaic features, and maybe I will add them in the future.

#456 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Goku, on 22 February 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Please do detailed description with examples of beloved mosaic features, and maybe I will add them in the future.

Sure! As I said, I'll be posting a "Brown-Bag" either on here or on the Dekosoft boards soon! Maybe some newer users can make the best of the system.

There is one thing with the terrain painting feature though that might need to be fixed--when the brush hits a "tile boundary", it paints only on the tile where the cursor rests. As a result I end up with some very rough tile transitions. Is there a way to fix this?

#457 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

HGT file support was easy to do and importing height terrain data will be awailable in next version!

http://i.imgur.com/qTYEnRW.png

As you can see river in terrain heightmap fits into river on osm map :)
http://i.imgur.com/w4yh2yP.png

Great thanks to James Ross for his conversion functions :)

#458 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

And of course it fits to routes created with demex:

http://i.imgur.com/VZjgnjy.jpg

Funny thing it was easiest feature I did in this RE.

#459 User is offline   dekosoft 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 22 February 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

Sure! As I said, I'll be posting a "Brown-Bag" either on here or on the Dekosoft boards soon!

I'll look forward to that!

#460 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Great Goku, do you handle also distant mountains?

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users