• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:MSTSBIN, ORTS, RAILWORKS

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 20 May 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

We are talking about a new editor. I for one would certainly not want to drag the clunky old MSTS forest region into a new editor. There comes a time when one has to make choices. You can have the old MSTS editor or you can have a new editor. The new editor should be capable of importing an MSTS route, but from that point there should be no going back. New tools demand new ways of working.

A new method of placing more variable forests in Railworks has been suggested by me a long time age and has now been implemented, allowing route creators to place irregular shaped Assets Blocks into the scenery.

This video shows working with regular Asset Blocks:

Assets Blocks

They can not yet have more than 2 object in them, but various blocks can be placed on top of each other.

#42 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hi Otto,

That video makes route building look tooo easy...
:sign_thanks:

Now I know why so many have gone over to RW...

Hi Folks,

Question - as there are routes that have hit the hard stop on the number of allowed "Track Nodes" - - - would this new Route Editor still have the limit or would the restriction be removed ?

Regards,
Scott

#43 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

View Postscottb613, on 21 May 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Question - as there are routes that have hit the hard stop on the number of allowed "Track Nodes" - - - would this new Route Editor still have the limit or would the restriction be removed ?

I have no problems adding more tracks to any of my MSTSBin DB-Tracks MINI routes, using the MSTS Route Editor and all of them run in ORTS using my activities, other than short-paths Freestyle ones, being a pain having to frequently use its MANUAL mode !

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/jpg/MSTSBIN-TRACK-DATABASES.jpg

#44 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostOTTODAD, on 20 May 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

A new method of placing more variable forests in Railworks has been suggested by me a long time age and has now been implemented, allowing route creators to place irregular shaped Assets Blocks into the scenery.

This video shows working with regular Asset Blocks:

Assets Blocks

They can not yet have more than 2 object in them, but various blocks can be placed on top of each other.

Forest objects in msts are something like this, just need to be extended a little in OR. BTW the main benefit of these asset block aren't the easy object placement, but each asset block can be drawn by a single draw call(instancing), so using thes makes the routes less CPU intensive.
However OR can do instancing with single objects too.

#45 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

View Postdisc, on 21 May 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

Forest objects in msts are something like this, just need to be extended a little in OR.

Their main disadvantage is not being able to vary their borders from rectangular to irregular shaped blocks to fit into areas which already have other objects in them !

#46 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi Otto,

I'm not an expert - I only mess around in RE - I based my question on some information from a discussion with Doug who is building the TriState... As I understand it - he is at the point where he has hit a threshold (I believe is around 40K) - where he can't add any more track - because the total number of "Track Nodes" already used exceeds the total amount allowed for a route... I believe he mentioned RE crashes because of this - as a result there has been talk of splitting the route back into chunks to allow development to continue... This solution is probably less than ideal - as I'm sure much work on the chunks would have to be duplicated... I was hoping that this new RE might offer some light at the end of the tunnel... The TriState is truly massive and seems at least as large as the PRR Eastern...

I may not be explaining myself clearly - if so I apologize...

Regards,
Scott

#47 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

View Postscottb613, on 20 May 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Yeah - I don't really see it as being too far off topic either - but - if preferred - we could certainly start a new thread for suggestions... It seemed timely and relevant to me because Goku appears to be working on the object placement part of RE and a Forest Region is but another object to be placed

Only reason I see it as off topic is because this is an editor... it writes out in a form that the engine will understand, and right now, the definition of the forest object is a square centered around the XYZQ present in the .W file. Having grab handles would be great, but also requires entirely different logic for the engine to be able to know that it now has to draw a polygon defined by those four corners, and then randomly drop trees inside that odd-shaped boundary.

View Postscottb613, on 20 May 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

I also don't think a new route editor has to be necessarily hobbled by MSTS constraints...

Absolutely, but for now, it can't start creating new parameters that the game engine will barf over.

#48 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hi Goku,

A little help here is needed. The 'Settings.txt' file:
My first question is; Does the hash tag, '#' preceeding the command comment it out?

# msts/or root dir
gameRoot = C:/ts2
# route name (optional) <============= Is this name in the routes trk file?
# start tile (optional, overrides .trk settings) <===== What is the format for using this line?
#startTileX = -5306 <================ Should TileZ be listed in this menu?
#startTileY = 14961

# route edit
#createNewIfNotExist = true
#writeEnabled = true
#writeTDB = true

#deleteTrWatermarks = true <==========What is the effect and purpose of these two commands?
#deleteViewDbSpheres = true <========?

# misc
#systemTheme = true
#toolsHidden = true <========== What tools get hidden?
A detailed explaination of each command would be vey helpful.

Thank you for your time on this.

;) I watched several of your videos.
By far the best train ride videos I've seen. No handholding a camera, wandering around, zooming and shaking. Just a good steady Train Ride! Bravo!

Best regards,
vince

#49 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Hi Eric,

Understand - thanks...
;)

Regards,
Scott

#50 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

View Postscottb613, on 21 May 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

I based my question on some information from a discussion with Doug who is building the TriState... As I understand it - he is at the point where he has hit a threshold (I believe is around 40K) - where he can't add any more track - because the total number of "Track Nodes" already used exceeds the total amount allowed for a route...

Hi Scott !

Could be that there is a limit affecting the size of a MSTS *.TDB and what it contains and have not yet reached it working on Walter Conklin's Tristate, nobody who I know off having reported a problem with a limit.

But there seems to be one with Consists and the rolling stock used by them, MSTS being run on some computers. Still using my WIN-XP SP3 computer with 3.4 useable RAM and working for long periods in the MSTS Route Editor have to frequently save W.I.P. and restart it from cold after waiting a while for all its RAM to clear what has been stored in it and was not removed when exiting the Kuju MSTS, still a problem with Railworks which has inherited the created by Kuju Rail Simulator code !

It will be a good idea for ORTS not to limit anything once all of its code is 64-bit compatible, many now using WIN-7+ 64-bit computers with at least 8GB of RAM installed !

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users