• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#391 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

From what I can tell the terran height adjustment is nothing at all like Kuju's version. I'm not adverse to trying something different but there are lots of times where I need to be very specific about what vertex I am changing and by how much. Can your editor do that?

Also, perhaps it is there and I did not see it but is there an undo function for terrain editing?

#392 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Genma Saotome, on 14 February 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

From what I can tell the terran height adjustment is nothing at all like Kuju's version.

What do you mean? Maybe I do not know MSTS RE because only terrain editing tool in RE I see is ugly 'set height' right menu option and 8/2 numpad key. My editor have the functionality and much more. To modify only one vertex, set brush size to 1. If you want specific height, set brush type to fixed height.
Of course I will add vertex grid view like in MSTS RE 'W' key.

#393 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Goku, on 14 February 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

What do you mean? Maybe I do not know MSTS RE because only terrain editing tool in RE I see is ugly 'set height' right menu option and 8/2 numpad key. My editor have the functionality and much more. To modify only one vertex, set brush size to 1. If you want specific height, set brush type to fixed height.
Of course I will add vertex grid view like in MSTS RE 'W' key.

I guess I'll need to look again.

What about change by a specific relative amount -- lower everything under the "brush" by 2.75m?

Adding the ability to see the vertex grid is essential. So is showing the area covered by the "brush" because using the mouse for precise movement is pretty hard and if you cannot see the edge, well, it can go the wrong way pretty fast -- that's why drawing tablets are used by artists: holding a digital pen is vastly more precise when you move it around.

Another question: Doing shallow slopes like beaches and riverbeds would be a lot easier with something like a palette knife -- long, narrow "brush" with a different height at each of the long ends. Can that be done now (or added later)?

#394 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Genma Saotome, on 14 February 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Adding the ability to see the vertex grid is essential. So is showing the area covered by the "brush" because using the mouse for precise movement is pretty hard and if you cannot see the edge, well, it can go the wrong way pretty fast -- that's why drawing tablets are used by artists: holding a digital pen is vastly more precise when you move it around.

Adding visible grid is something to do from the beginning :)

What about change by a specific relative amount -- lower everything under the "brush" by 2.75m?

It is possible, but because only available brush is 'smooth brush', works only with 1 brush size.

Another question: Doing shallow slopes like beaches and riverbeds would be a lot easier with something like a palette knife -- long, narrow "brush" with a different height at each of the long ends. Can that be done now (or added later)?

Now - no. In the future - yes. I plan to do lots of different brushes. But now are more important things.

#395 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the answers!

#396 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

A question on this route editor, I wonder if its is fit for a project I am considering.

One of the guys doing routes and rolling stock for MSTS has released a number of routes set in Victoria, Australia, he has since retired from the scene. Now two of these (and one of them is quite large) are best described as works in progress. Now I have contacted the developer and he has given permission to any one who wishs to add/correct and/or extend these routes.

What is reqiured initially is small scale earth works, cuttings, embankments etc and a large scale changing and adding a considerable number of objects such as bridges, mile posts, station signs, whistle posts etc. For the first phase little to no track work will be required

Note: One route i set in the 1940-1955 period, he has made it tough on the other one which is set in the 1890's. The social structure of Victoria was quite different then, the local towns being smaller and the country side had far more people than latter on. Sadly very little historical information has survived from this period. Because of this there is considerable number of historical errors in the latter route (and even some in the other route).

The routes are good enough though for them to be completed and may be latter on extended.

Lindsay

#397 User is offline   Stingray 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS, ORTS

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

It looks very good! Great work!

And one little question: can you (maybe in future) add functions like in ShapeViewer - display number of polys and LODs for selected object?

P.S.: we periodically report about your work in Czech MSTS forum.

#398 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Lindsayts, on 15 February 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

A question on this route editor, I wonder if its is fit for a project I am considering.

Next version will be capable to do everything, so it will be possible to use it instead MSTS RE. But it will be still unstable and untested version so it is higher risk of destroying hard work compared to MSTS RE.

Of course it will be sooner stable if more people will test it during route building.

#399 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

Thank you Goku for all of your hard work! I am already using your new editor and it works wonderful. I have noticed a few bugs but I will let you know if I find any thing in your update once it comes out!

Brandon

#400 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hi Goku,

Do you plan on adding a 3D preview of the selected objects? This would be really helpful. :)

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users