• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostGoku, on 17 May 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

Serial is not the problem. You can safely delete it (I think).
Maybe your route build has interactive objects? Editing TDB with interactive track objects causes a corruption of routes because they are not supported.

Hi Goku,
There are no interactives in the route. There are no roads. Just track and static scenery.

As shown in my OP, Route_Riter TSUtils [ICHK] test aborts complaining about the missing Serial. I don't know if there were other TDB errors because the test did not continue.
An error free completion of all Route_Riter tests ([CHECK ROUTE] and [ICHK] is a requirement for me as it is presently the only way I have of assuring validity routes database files. the ICHK test is the first one I run after a database editing session (installing track for instance) and is my gold standard for proving a route.

best,
vince

#32 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:MSTSBIN, ORTS, RAILWORKS

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Have downloaded it and there is nothing in its HELP or F1 to indicate which keys / combos do what to be able to View / Edit whatever.

Where can I see a list of what they do ?

#33 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hi Otto:

See the first post in this thread. There you will find a list of commands.

#34 User is offline   planters 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:ts2014 and open rails

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

The original post by GOKU lists hotkeys and some links with illustrations.He also states in a later post this is not even an alpha release yet,so I guess we will have to be patient.I was able to add vegetation to a route easily and quickly(I had tried to do this with MSTS editor before and gave up because it was such a pain)--GOKU's RE is really great even at this early state.A big thankyou to GOKU and please continue with this!!!

#35 User is offline   OTTODAD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:MSTSBIN, ORTS, RAILWORKS

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

View Postplanters, on 19 May 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

The original post by GOKU lists hotkeys and some links with illustrations.

Thanks, guys !

Printed them to A4, but can't see any camera control keys, to come soon, I hope !

Take care, Otto.

#36 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hi Folks,

First off - thanks to Goku for making this new RE - as I think we are all pretty tired of the original one from MS...

One thing I hope can be improved is placing "Forest Regions" - maybe it's just me - but I find it extremely tedious and time consuming trying to get forest regions placed where I need them... Typically - I use two or three regions to cover the same spot to get some tree variety... It seems as if this task might be better suited for a top down view of the route ??? Finding and grabbing the little controls on large overlapping shapes doesn't help... Maybe restrict movement in the vertical plane ??? To be able to support shapes beyond a basic rectangle would certainly be welcome as well... There has to be an easier way...

Thanks again...

Regards,
Scott

#37 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

For forest regions I think that drag handles along the outer edges and corners would be a better method and it could include vertical movement if required by holding down a key. As for variety, allow different ones and densities in the forest region statement.

#38 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

Grab handles on the outer edges would be great, but would also require a entirely new object to avoid impacting older routes, all of which is off topic for this discussion...

#39 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

Cant see how it is off topic. We are talking about a new editor. I for one would certainly not want to drag the clunky old MSTS forest region into a new editor. There comes a time when one has to make choices. You can have the old MSTS editor or you can have a new editor. The new editor should be capable of importing an MSTS route, but from that point there should be no going back. New tools demand new ways of working.

Goku has even developed a two directional dynamic track tool, no more making a curve and flipping it. I just wonder what else he will come up with.

#40 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I don't really see it as being too far off topic either - but - if preferred - we could certainly start a new thread for suggestions... It seemed timely and relevant to me because Goku appears to be working on the object placement part of RE and a Forest Region is but another object to be placed - we might be getting ahead of ourselves if we started talking about Terrain when it hasn't even been touched on yet... I certainly don't want to inundate Goku - but I'm impressed with what I've seen and it is certainly a good start on a much needed tool... I greatly appreciate all the work he's done so far...

I also don't think a new route editor has to be necessarily hobbled by MSTS constraints...

Regards,
Scott

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users