Elvas Tower: Multiple BrakeSystemTypes - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple BrakeSystemTypes Can you specify multiple BrakeSystemTypes for a particular unit? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

I've read in the Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guidev2.doc document that you can only specify one BrakeSystemType, why is this?

I've researched all sorts of diesel and electric locomotives created in the 60s (during the transfer from steam to diesel) which were fitted with vacuum (for compatibility with older rolling stock) and air pipes (make them compatible with newer rolling stock).

So I wondered if it was possible to specify multiple brake systems to simulate those locomotives better, like BrakeSystemType ( "Air_single_pipe" "Vacuum_single_pipe" ).

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

The whole structure of OR code is written to allow only one brake system type at a time. I don't think it is in the todo list to change this. So the best workaround is to define two different eng-s with the two brake systems.

#3 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Well, that's a shame, because now the default MSTS 1.2 class 50 can't be simulated correctly (it was fitted with both vacuum pipes and air pipes).

Thanks anyway.

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

Far as I know the class 50 was the same in MSTS, one brake type only. Therefore OR is correct at this stage.

#5 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Oh yeah, the class 50 was the same in MSTS, which is why I said default in MSTS, that's not really the problem, the problem is that what was originally a dual brake type locomotive, is now a single brake type locomotive due to simulation limitations and thus, isn't simulated properly, I guess another problem is that I can't really accurately update the said asset to accurately portray what its capabilities of the real life prototype like I can with the lights.

The workaround is to make a duplicate of the .eng file, but in my experience, a workaround is no real substitute for a real solution in my opinion. Just a temporary one, which also, in my experience in other simulators, can be quite drawn out far too long.

I guess stuff like this isn't really planned to be implemented until after 1.0 comes out because it's not native to MSTS. So you can argue that OR is correct or incorrect for whatever reason. I guess the only thing to do, is bring it up in a thread and hope it gets added at some point in the future.

#6 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

MSTS has Engine brake [] keys, as well as train brakes, and this doesn`t seem to be implemented in OR. UK steam locos have steam engine brakes which are practically instantaneous. ORs delayed graduated release air brakes make controlled shunting moves difficult in OR. Traditional UK freight operation had only engine (usually steam) braking with a hand braked van at rear. OR doesn`t represent this.
Since MSTS has engine braking + train braking, I think it desirable to be implemented in OR as well. If I have missed something, I will be very happy to be corrected!
rick

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

Engine brakes are working in OR accordingly to my experience. If you have a specific engine where this does not apply, pls. name it. Maybe there is something to be adjusted.

#8 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:47 AM

View Postgpz, on 03 May 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

The whole structure of OR code is written to allow only one brake system type at a time. I don't think it is in the todo list to change this. So the best workaround is to define two different eng-s with the two brake systems.

That doesn't seem like a "workaround" as much as it sounds like a solution...

Robert

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

View Postrickloader, on 05 May 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

MSTS has Engine brake [] keys, as well as train brakes, and this doesn`t seem to be implemented in OR. UK steam locos have steam engine brakes which are practically instantaneous. ORs delayed graduated release air brakes make controlled shunting moves difficult in OR. Traditional UK freight operation had only engine (usually steam) braking with a hand braked van at rear. OR doesn`t represent this.
Since MSTS has engine braking + train braking, I think it desirable to be implemented in OR as well. If I have missed something, I will be very happy to be corrected!
rick

If you specify the brakes on your rolling stock as vacuum piped they will have no train brakes so you only have the engine and brakevan. I have been experimenting with using a hand brake on vac equipped engines in OR. This is quite useful when shunting as at low speeds stopping is fairly rapid if the max handbrake force is set high enough.

The [ and] keys do work for airbraked engines as this is the independent brake but have to be specified in the eng file.

MSTS never enabled steam braking and V1 of OR is following this. It does not mean that steam braking cannot be enabled in the future though.

#10 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for confirming that only airbraked stock has engine brakes. Even the default Scotsman has vacuum engine brakes, but they are inoperative. As the OR code is already in place for engine brakes, I`m hoping it would not be a big effort to extend to enable Vacuum. It would not constitute 2 braking systems as the steam brake could just be represented by a rapid and powerful vacuum.
Sorry to have hijacked this post, but I see the OP is getting his answers in another.
thanks, rick

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users