Translations: Unclear strings & other problems Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

<Admin comment 2020-06-08>
Thread moved here from the private ORTS development forum so it can benefit a wider range of translators who do not necessarily have access to the private forum. The info might be dated in parts, but most of it is still valid.

This thread is meant for translators (all languages) to post question about source-strings they don´t understand, so their meaning can be explained (best in English, so all language´s translators profit from it), or to bring up problems (such as non-localisable strings, IE strings that are displayed in-game, but cannot be translated in the PO files).

I´ll start right out with some non-localisable strings:

Simple F5 HUD: "EQ ... BC ... BP ... EOT BP"
Extended HUD, Consist Info: Entries in columns "Control Mode", "OUt of Control", "Cab-Aspect" and "Drv/Cabs"
Extended HUD, Loco Info: Entries in Column "Status"
Extended HUD, Brake Info: Entries in Columns "Type" and "RetValve" - Not sure about column "MRPipe" (what does it refer to needs to be cleared first).
Extended HUD, Dispatcher Info: Entried in Columns "Mode" and "Consist"
Extended HUD, Debugging Info: "CPU", "GPU", string after "GPU"

I´ll add the strings I don´t understand later. I just went in-game and looked for English string in the mostly-German GUI, and could translate quite a few more, but before I can add the remaning strings I don´t understnad, I have to verify my changes from today (will do that either tomorrow, or on FRI, depending on what time allows).

Cheers, Markus

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:49 AM

Forgot to state in the above: The above is with a DIESEL-powered train.

Here comes the list for STEAM-powered trains:

Extended HUD, Loco Info: Values after "Locomotive Type"
Extended HUD, Loco Info, Line "Press": 4th string translates as "lösen" (release), which I only find WRT to brakes in the PO file - a miss-allocated translation?

And the list for ELECTRIC trains:

Extended HUD, Loco Info: "Car ..:" can´t be translated

So, I´m done with trying to translate the HUD and all it´s pages. Depending on when I get some more time, I´ll soon be adding a list of strings I couldn´t trasnlate (will be about 30 items).

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

markus_GE, on 25 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Not sure about column "MRPipe" (what does it refer to needs to be cleared first).

That is the main reservoir pipe, the second pipe in a twin pipe brake system.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:43 AM

gpz, on 26 April 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

That is the main reservoir pipe, the second pipe in a twin pipe brake system.

Ah, alright. So, I assume, if testing with a twin-pipe train, it will display values like the normal BP readings, right?

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Yes, it will display the main reservoir pipe pressure.

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

:sign_thanks: , Peter :)

I found one more untranslatable entry: In multiplayer mode, the "x players x trains" string in the HUD cannot be localized (x is a number).

And here comes a list of other problematic entries in the translation files, grouped by the files they belong to.

Menu
  • Strings 5, 69 and 203 are duplicates ("Installation profile"; where are they used in the GUI and why are there so many duplicates?
  • Strings "open" and "rails" (56 and 57) - Do they belong together to form the wording "Open Rails"? Where are they used in the GUI? Also, should they be spelled "Open" and "Rails" in the source?
  • String 133 contains a spelling error in the source "MSTS-Compatibile"

RunActivity (misc problems):
  • String 34 "Auto Switch": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 47 "Penalty": What does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 48 "Prefer Green" Where is it used and what does it change in multiplayer / dispatcher window?
  • String 91 "Stopped due to errors in route setting" is unclear - is it about an error in the Route (TDB, TRK or other file) or the path set?
  • String 146 "Adj:" - what does it mean in the steam loco info extended HUD?
  • String 409 contains a spelling error in the source "Will not ratate cab and land"
  • String 483 "GCs": What does it mean? (debug info extended HUD)
  • String 546 "Stability correction": What does it mean? (force info extended HUD)
  • String 547 "Axle out force": What does it mean? (force info extended HUD)
  • String 574 "wait": What does it mean (debug info extended HUD)

RunActivity (Steam loco info extended HUD problems):
  • String 134 "Fire Ratio": What does it mean?
  • String 149 "PortOpen" What does it mean?
  • String 179 "Initial": What does it mean?
  • String 181 "Rel": What does it mean?
  • String 182 "RelR": What does it mean?
  • String 185 "PreComp": What does it mean?
  • String 186 "MEP": What does it mean?
  • String 188 "PreAdm": What does it mean?
  • String 199 "Comp": What does it mean?
  • String 221 "BstReset": Does it mean "Boost Reset" when not abbreviated? What does it indicate?
  • String 238 "MF-Gear": What does it mean?

Contrib
(I know this is the lowest-priority item, but I add it for completeness. Please note, this contains only strings for the Trackviewer. See also here)
  • String 170 "Not to be used, template only": Used where and for what?
  • String 186 "Fix invalid node": Used where? Is an invalid node the same as a broken point in MSTS AE?
  • String 189 "Auto-fix broken nodes": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 193, "Draw path until next broken point": Used where? Is a broken node the same as an invalid node? Is it the same as a broken point in the MSTS AE?
  • String 201 "Danling siding node": What does this mean? Used where?
  • String 202 "Unknown": Used where and for what?
  • String 255 "Join and split": What exatly does this do? (Waiting point editing window)
  • Not exactly a problematic string, but more info might be useful in string 227 "Documentation is available" (in about trackviewer dialog) - where is it available?

An extensive list, I know. But any hints on any of these items would be really appreciated, as these are the last remaining bits to get the German translation done (and it can help other translators as well, I´m sure).

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:11 AM

Hi Markus,

A quick response to your questions.

String 134 "Fire Ratio": - ratio of FireMassKG / IdealFireMassKG - after v1 move to debug view

String 149 "PortOpen" - value that describes the size of the exhaust port on the cylinder - see ORTSCylinderPortOpening ( x )

The following are to do with steam indicator diagram for cylinder

String 179 "Initial": - Initial pressure
String 181 "Rel": - Release pressure in cylinder
String 182 "RelR": - Release pressure including receiver (compound loco)
String 185 "PreComp": - Pre-compression pressure
String 186 "MEP": - Mean Effective Pressure
String 188 "PreAdm": - Pre-admission pressure
String 199 "Comp": - Compression pressure

String 221 "BstReset": - "Boost Reset" - stops the fireman from shoveling above his normal workload - after v1 move to debug view
String 238 "MF-Gear": Motive force gear ratio - factor set depending upon gearing - after v1 move to debug view

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hi Peter,

:) for your explanations. However, amy I ask for some more details, as I have just an overall idea of how stema locos work, but not in-depth knowledge?

Specifically:

String 134 "Fire Ratio": - ratio of FireMassKG / IdealFireMassKG - after v1 move to debug view - could this be expressed as "% of ideal fire mass"? Has this entry been removed from the loco info HUD page already? (can't seem to find it anymore).

String 149 "PortOpen" - value that describes the size of the exhaust port on the cylinder - see ORTSCylinderPortOpening ( x )
- a diameter value?

- is this the pressure in the cylinder before the steam expands (IE after steam is admitted, but before it moves the piston)? Of no, what else?
String 181 "Rel": - Release pressure in cylinder - Is this the pressure of the steam released from the cylinder after expansion?
String 182 "RelR": - Release pressure including receiver (compound loco) - Is this the pressure of the steam released from the cylinder after expansion?
- What pressure is this (IE, where is it measured)?
String 186 "MEP": - Mean Effective Pressure - I understnad that "mean" is something like "average" - but for this string´s meaning, I´m still totally clueless
String 188 "PreAdm": - Pre-admission pressure - Is this the pressure in the cutoff slider box? If yes, don´t we already have the "Cutoff" string and value to describe this?
String 199 "Comp": - Compression pressure - What pressure is this (IE, where is it measured)?

String 221 "BstReset": - "Boost Reset" - stops the fireman from shoveling above his normal workload - after v1 move to debug view - I then assume, "Boost" is an indication for the extra shoveling rate?
String 238 "MF-Gear": Motive force gear ratio - factor set depending upon gearing - after v1 move to debug view - Am I right to assume this is something like a gear ratio?

:sign_sorry: for all the questions, but when it comes to such fine technical details, I´m simply lost for I have no idea what they mean / are.

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

markus_GE, on 25 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

This thread is meant for translators (all languages) to post question about source-strings they don´t understand, so their meaning can be explained (best in English, so all language´s translators profit from it), or to bring up problems (such as non-localisable strings, IE strings that are displayed in-game, but cannot be translated in the PO files).

Just to let you and other localisers know, I've (finally) added pseudo-localisation support, so any of us developers can go and check we've enabled localisation on everything we meant to (I'll post a new thread of this so we don't derail this one).

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hi Markus,

markus_GE, on 29 April 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

:) for your explanations. However, amy I ask for some more details, as I have just an overall idea of how stema locos work, but not in-depth knowledge?

No problems, I will do my best to answer them.

String 134 "Fire Ratio": - ratio of FireMassKG / IdealFireMassKG - after v1 move to debug view - could this be expressed as "% of ideal fire mass"? Has this entry been removed from the loco info HUD page already? (can't seem to find it anymore).

It appears to only be visible when in manual firing mode. It could be expressed as a %, it will go over and under 100%.

String 149 "PortOpen" - value that describes the size of the exhaust port on the cylinder - see ORTSCylinderPortOpening ( x ) - a diameter value?

- is this the pressure in the cylinder before the steam expands (IE after steam is admitted, but before it moves the piston)? Of no, what else?
String 181 "Rel": - Release pressure in cylinder - Is this the pressure of the steam released from the cylinder after expansion?
String 182 "RelR": - Release pressure including receiver (compound loco) - Is this the pressure of the steam released from the cylinder after expansion?
- What pressure is this (IE, where is it measured)?
String 186 "MEP": - Mean Effective Pressure - I understnad that "mean" is something like "average" - but for this string´s meaning, I´m still totally clueless
String 188 "PreAdm": - Pre-admission pressure - Is this the pressure in the cutoff slider box? If yes, don´t we already have the "Cutoff" string and value to describe this?
String 199 "Comp": - Compression pressure - What pressure is this (IE, where is it measured)?

Have a look here, this might help with these items.

String 221 "BstReset": - "Boost Reset" - stops the fireman from shoveling above his normal workload - after v1 move to debug view - I then assume, "Boost" is an indication for the extra shoveling rate?
String 238 "MF-Gear": Motive force gear ratio - factor set depending upon gearing - after v1 move to debug view - Am I right to assume this is something like a gear ratio?

Boost indicates that the fireman is shoveling harder - again to be removed post v1

MF-Gear - it is a factor to allow for gearing in a locomotive.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users