• You cannot reply to this topic

Translations and V1.0 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

I should reload pages more frequently when keeping them opened in the background...

James Ross, on 22 April 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

Hmm, maybe it needs project admin permissions because we don't allow people to translate from within Launchpad itself. If you have any questions on the per-unit numbers I'm happy to try and figure out the differences myself. [...]

:sign_sorry: I forgot to mention, I´m in now. I had to accept a BSC license, and then it let me in. I currently couldn´t find the in-depth info of much use - maybe it will have more use when the other problems are solved.

[...] I'll also have a look for the orphaned strings. [...]

Please take a look at the explanations and the table in my previous post first.

[...] Yeah, this is a low priority. Contributed programs can be localisable but it's not a requirement.

Just the other day I did set the order of the units in Launchpad to be priority order, with "contrib" last as you'd expect. Not so useful for German as you've done such a good job but should help other localisers prioritise. [...]

I´m OK with that. When TrackViewer is corrected to use locales, the translations are already there in German, so we´re actually ahead of schedule ;)

Okay, would you mind reporting a bug with text and a screenshot highlighting the things you're using when shunting / switching? If we can avoid people needing the extended HUD, we should. :)

This has already once been bought up, but I don´t remember the thread. I´ll report that bug as soon as I find time to document the problem. That will take some time, however, as I´ll first report this year-old, much more serious problem.

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

There is a need for feedback information. The simulated cab has no feedback visual, or sensory, so the HUD provides information that perhaps in the realworld is known by seat-of-the-pants sensory feedback. Locomotive authors (?) need plenty of operational feedback when 'tuning' a locomotive to achieve a desired running charactistic. I know, from personal experience, that it takes many hours of experimentation with settings to get things the way I want it. Every steam locomotive, of every class, has it's own steaming charactistics. This was told to me by an old engine driver.

Cheers Bazza.

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

James Ross, on 22 April 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

I don't think Launchpad's "Need review" is showing the fuzzy items; it looks to me like it is identifying strings where the translated value has changed and it is expecting someone to approve the change. It makes more sense when translations are done through Launchpad, I think, but I'll confirm what's going on when I get a chance and approve them if I can.

I will try and figure out the large difference in untranslated strings for "RunActivity" though.

That´s interesting - curious about what it really means with "Needs Review".

Knowing the cause of the difference is really important. The consequences could be, some strings are not actually used, thus not counted by Launchpad, and could actually be purged.

Cheers, Markus

PS: I´ll commit my modified files now, so we´re both looking at the same files. After all, the changes can be reverted easily, right?

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

James Ross, on 22 April 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Content creators might be the exception, but there should be no reason for normal players to use the extended HUD. The entire design is such that they don't need to use it. Why do they need to use it? I certainly never look at the braking page and I don't want other people to need to look at it except for debugging.

I would speak of game players and "professional" players. While game players wouldn't probably need the extended HUD, "professional" players need it. If they want to perform "professional" coupling and decoupling, using cocks, valves and piping (like in real world), they need the brake HUD; if they want to switch off and on some units, or to put outside multiple control some ot them, they need the locomotive HUD.

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Csantucci, on 22 April 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

I would speak of game players and "professional" players. While game players wouldn't probably need the extended HUD, "professional" players need it. If they want to perform "professional" coupling and decoupling, using cocks, valves and piping (like in real world), they need the brake HUD; if they want to switch off and on some units, or to put outside multiple control some ot them, they need the locomotive HUD.

I believe we should surface information that "professional" players want in other parts of the UI. The HUD is only meant as a crutch and whilst the minimal view can be exceptionally helpful as a "quick reference" we should not be encouraging its use over "real" UI. That's partly down to me not getting the whole UI redesign going very well, but I'm going to try again after the 1.0 dust settles.

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

Any update on the Launchpad statistics figures?

Also, how should I now go about translating the obviously HUD-related entries?

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

markus_GE, on 23 April 2015 - 12:33 AM, said:

Any update on the Launchpad statistics figures?

Also, how should I now go about translating the obviously HUD-related entries?

I've approved the "Need review" items just now so they're cleared from Launchpad. I haven't had a chance to look at the RunActivity "untranslated" numbers yet - hopefully will have time tonight.

For HUD-related entries, please translate them all as best you can. If you view the source code location using PO Edit, it might make it clearer what they are but you can ask about uncertain things. (I have been attempting to get translation comments from the source code to be detected but so far everything's only a partially-working solution.) It is likely not everything is possible to translate, particularly multi-state values. I'm not sure if fixing such things would be within the scope of code changes for the moment though.

#18 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

James Ross, on 23 April 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:

I've approved the "Need review" items just now so they're cleared from Launchpad. I haven't had a chance to look at the RunActivity "untranslated" numbers yet - hopefully will have time tonight. [...]

Just seen it, :bigboss:

I´ll then see tomorrow or on SAT (Probably no time anyway tomorrow, with the crappy 1-to-10 pm duty I have today and tomorrow).

James Ross, on 23 April 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:

[...] For HUD-related entries, please translate them all as best you can. If you view the source code location using PO Edit, it might make it clearer what they are but you can ask about uncertain things. (I have been attempting to get translation comments from the source code to be detected but so far everything's only a partially-working solution.) It is likely not everything is possible to translate, particularly multi-state values. I'm not sure if fixing such things would be within the scope of code changes for the moment though.

I´ll see what I can do with view source (haven´t had the patience to try that recently). Then, I´ll simply ask if nothing helps.

What do you mean with "translation comments"? Is it what POedit calls "Notes for translator", such as in string 394 of the RunActivity translation files?

Cheers, Markus

#19 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:11 AM

markus_GE, on 23 April 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

What do you mean with "translation comments"? Is it what POedit calls "Notes for translator", such as in string 394 of the RunActivity translation files?

Yeah, "Notes for translator" are meant to be captured from comments in the source code (so that translators don't have to look at the code) but it doesn't work in our current set up. I've got a to-do item to fix that and to add some comments from your earlier threads asking questions on translations. :bigboss:

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:54 AM

:bigboss: for the explanation. Those hints are really helpful indeed :bigboss:

Cheers, Markus

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic