Elvas Tower: Activity sounds - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity sounds Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

In release 2950 I have introduced activity sounds. A .wav file can be attached to any activity event, and will be played when the event is triggered.
This can be used with a minimum of effort e.g. for:
- radio messages to train driver;
- on board train announcements in passenger view;
- off-board station announcements;
- etc.
The fact that simply a .wav file (which will be played once) has to be entered allows activity builders to use this feature without needing to know the .sms language neither to place fake cars on the route to play these files.
The syntax of the entry in the event block is
				ORTSActSoundFile ( "filename.wav" "SoundType" )

The position where filename.wav is supposed to be is in the SOUND folder of the route. filename.wav can include also relative paths to such folder.
SoundType can be:
- Everywhere : sound is played at equal volume in all camera views and without fading effects
- Cab : sound is played only within cab
- Pass : sound is played only in the active passenger view
- Ground : sound is played externally from a fixed position, that is the one the loco has reached when the event is triggered; the sound is heard also internally in an attenuated way, and becomes attenuated also by moving away from the position.

It is advisable to use this feature together with the
				ORTSContinue ( seconds )

feature, explained elsewhere in the forum.
If seconds is > 0 the event won't cause the game to stop and the associated message, if any, will be shown for that amount of seconds.
If seconds is = 0 the event won't cause the game to stop and there will be no message shown. This can be used if one wants to have only the sound played, with no message shown.
An example of an event block using this feature can be seen here
			EventCategoryLocation (
				EventTypeLocation ( )
				ID ( 7 )
				Activation_Level ( 1 )
				Outcomes (
					DisplayMessage ( "This message won't be shown, because ORTSContinue is = 0." )
				)
				Name ( Location6 )
				Location ( -146 14084 -283.424 -694.733 10 )
				TriggerOnStop ( 0 )
				ORTSContinue ( 0 )
				ORTSActSoundFile ( "x_Next_stop_MiClei.wav" "Pass" )
			)

As with ORTSContinue(), MSTS won't suffer because of this added line. Such added lines will be cleared by the MSTS AE if the activity file is edited by it, so it is advised to add them at the end of activity development, or to keep a backup copy where the lines are present.
If one opens with the MSTS AE an activity file with such lines and packages it without modifying the file, the AE will include such lines in the packaged file.

Only one sound file per event is allowed.

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Carlo, that sounds like an AMAZING improvement over the somewhat cluky way of displaying messages by text. You can have real radio chatter now! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

For how long have I been wanting this in MSTS / ORTS, and have not gotten it to work in Trainz? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/curiousPC.gif

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hi Carlo,

AWESOME !!! Some new toys to try...
:)

One other "sound" thought I had the other day - is there any way we can get AI trains to sound horns/whistles at desired location - such as grade crossings - passing through a yard - passing the player train - etc etc etc ????

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

Please, though, retain the pop-up text message ability. (As an option?) The pop-up text messages are what I use to simulate Train Orders being passed up to an in-transit train when simulating railroading long before the days of radio.

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

Terrific!
I love how both simple and powerful this enhancement is.
Christopher

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for appreciation!
Andre, the possibility of displaying the usual pop-up messages remains, both standalone or in conjunction with a sound, both pausing the simulation or not pausing it.

Scott,
programming location-related sound for AI trains is foreseen in the new ORTS AE, however its development has been suspended by the person that worked with it.

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:32 AM

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for the new tool and info - uggh - this doesn't sound good though....

View PostCsantucci, on 27 March 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

however its development has been suspended by the person that worked with it.

:bigboss:

Regards,
Scott

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

RE AI horn blows: I know that waiting points are currently used for many things, such as advanced (AI) shunting, and even helper operations. IIRC, in order to make that work, they use waiting times in excess of the day´s length in seconds, with the first digit identifying the purpose of the point, the remaining digits defining whatever else is applicable.

An idea would be that this feature could be extended with a format of say 9xxxx, where 9 means AI whistle / horn, and the remaining digits mean e.g. long / short blow, or the amount of seconds (milliseconds?) to sound the horn.

Just an idea, IDK if it is feasible, though.

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:13 AM

Hi Markus,

I had the same exact thought - however - I think - a Waiting Point (WP) no matter what the value - still causes the AI train to pause... I noticed this while implementing the WP needed to reactivate the AI Helper - the train still stops momentarily... So my subsequent thought was it probably wouldn't work for AI Horns... Of course - I don't know the code so I'm simply surmising based on my observations - only someone with code knowledge could definitively answer the question...

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   ConCat 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

Sheez! Now you went and created more work for me, Got to go out and get more defect detector sounds! :bigboss: All kidding aside I love this option. Instead of using the quirky way MSTS handled defect detector sounds where you had only one wave for all tracks, So you could not have it say which track your train is on. Now you can, so back up to the mountains soon to get the recordings of the reporting for all tracks on every detector that the Station Inns radio feed does not pick up! Oh well, Why would I complain Get those recordings and video tape the trains at the same time- Sounds like a win win situation to me!! :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users