• You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Messages ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Hi Folks,

I searched the forums but I haven't seen it mentioned... One if the biggest things that suspends the immersion factor for me while running activities - is when an "Activity Message" pops up - everything freezes - and - I have to go scrambling for the mouse to click on the "close window and resume" button...

Has anyone considered not having the activity freeze every time a message is displayed - or - maybe make it an option in the setup ? At the very least could we have a simple keystroke associated with "close and resume" it could even be linked to a horn/whisltle blast or something to make it as quick and painless as possible ?

Thanks for the consideration...

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

I too find disturbing that these messages suspend execution of the activity. Maybe the opposite could happen: the activity continues and the player can suspend it, if he wants.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hi Carlo,

Yeah - concur - it's easy enough to pause...

One other thought that just came to me - what do we do when multiple messages show up in rapid succession ? Ideally the message window should feature a history - in reverse order so as you scroll down you go through the older messages ??? LOL - not trying to make more work for anyone - just food for thought...
:thumbdown3:

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

IMO there are lots and lots of good reasons to add an html output feature to OR, one that you can tie your smartphone or tablet into. If the user configures his options to get OR information that way, send it that way... help text, command confirmation, activity instructions... a whole lot of stuff could be best displayed that way.

James said it was certainly doable but AFAIK nobody has yet picked up the task to do it.

#5 User is offline   Jeffrey Kraus-Yao 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

Erased.

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

View Postscottb613, on 08 March 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

I searched the forums but I haven't seen it mentioned... One if the biggest things that suspends the immersion factor for me while running activities - is when an "Activity Message" pops up - everything freezes - and - I have to go scrambling for the mouse to click on the "close window and resume" button...

Has anyone considered not having the activity freeze every time a message is displayed - or - maybe make it an option in the setup ? At the very least could we have a simple keystroke associated with "close and resume" it could even be linked to a horn/whisltle blast or something to make it as quick and painless as possible ?

We can't really change the behaviour to not pause, for MSTS activities, although we could provide an extension flag they can set for OR.

But we should certainly have keyboard controls for the dialogs; it is something I've been meaning to look at for ages but haven't had time yet, and probably needs some tie-in to the new GUI as well. People are certainly free to try out some ideas in the code and share their compiled RunActivity for others to see what works and what doesn't.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

In release 2927 I have implemented Scott's (and my) wish this way:
- if the .act file is as now nothing changes; I have only improved the activity window textes in some cases, where they were incoherent, but no functionality change
- if in the .act file this line is added in an event description
				ORTSContinue ( nn )

as in this example
		EventCategoryLocation (
				EventTypeLocation ( )
				ID ( 1 )
				Activation_Level ( 1 )
				Outcomes (
					DisplayMessage ( "Test nopause." )
				)
				Name ( Location1 )
				Location ( -146 14082 -1016.56 762.16 10 )
				TriggerOnStop ( 0 )
				ORTSContinue ( 10 )
			)

the activity continues running while the activity window is displayed; if the player does nothing the window disappears after nn seconds (10 in the example); he can also close the window with a click on the related field of the window, or he can pause activity execution with a click on the related field of the window.

MSTS (both at runtime and at activity editing) is not affected by this change.

The bad news: the addition of such line is removed by the AE if a save of the activity is done with it (not so bad, this addition can be done at the end of activity development, and it is a fast change).
The good news: if an activity with such lines is opened with the MSTS AE, and a "Package Activity" is performed, the .apk file includes the added lines!

A demo activity for route Japan1 can be downloaded here:
Attached File  Testactfinish.zip (1.73K)
Number of downloads: 232
After about 300 meters run the activity window opens with a message, but the activity continues running.

PS: Updated following James' remarks.

#8 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 March 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

Continue ( 1 )

All additional elements to MSTS file formats for OR should start ORTS, e.g. "ORTSContinue", to make it clear what is an extension and what isn't. Otherwise, seems quite good; maybe we should use the number inside as the time the window is kept on-screen?

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

You're right James,
Updated with the two changes in release 2927.

#10 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

We have come up with new ideas, but I have to wonder if there is a sticky post that keeps track of these ideas until added to the manual. I will usually perform a save on the post to archive important information.

Edward K.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users