• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remote Control DPU units Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks! Cab view is not necessary for this to work. Locomotives are always arranged into the same group if they have no wagons between. The fence cannot be moved in a way to separate two locomotives in the same group. (To put locomotives into different groups, put some wagons between.)

#32 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

I am sure this is far from completed, but one important issue. According to the manual, if the lead locomotive is in neutral, then all remaining DPU locomotives should be in idle. As it stands now, I can put the DPU locomotive in traction mode when the lead locomotive is in neutral. I am guessing this is suppose to be a standard mode of operation.

Quoted from manual: NOTE: All Locomotives are Idled when Reverser Handle is on CENTER.

The other part is if braking information will be added to the DPU information. Andy mentioned DPU locomotives adding braking power, but I am not sure how the current set up works in this area.

Edward K.

#33 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

View Postedwardk, on 21 February 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Quoted from manual: NOTE: All Locomotives are Idled when Reverser Handle is on CENTER.

Hmmm, this is indeed missing from the logic. Makes sense. Reverser setting is copied to async group, so the locomotives will not develop any force, but indeed there is no point in keeping the engines spinning.

#34 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

This part is probably considered the failsafe since DPU locomotives do not do anything unless given the command. I read online that when 20lbs of air pressure is applied, all DPU units will be given the signal to notch down to idle mode.

Edward K.

#35 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

View Postedwardk, on 21 February 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

when 20lbs of air pressure is applied

You mean 20 psi? I can program that as well.

#36 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

Same like MSTS parameter DoesBrakeCutPower (1) along with BrakeCutsPowerAtBrakeCylinderPressure () but for equipped engines?

#37 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

Peter,

Just in case you do not know, as of V3447, the diesel code was refactored. Your existing code for the HUD is not working well with the new structure.

Edward K.

#38 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

A little bit more about DP and "building the fence": I'll use the example of a 105 car unit train (this is a real world example), with a 3+2+2 locomotive setup, 3 lead locomotives, 2 mid-train (swing), and 2 rear. Typically, if starting the train, all three sets of locos would be "fence down." They would all respond to the engineer's throttle setting the same. Where building the fence becomes a necessity is when, say, the front of train has crested a grade, but the remainder of the train is still going upgrade. In the is case, the engineer would build the fence so that he could close the throttles of the lead locomotives, maybe even putting them into dynamic, while the swing and rear loco sets are still pulling/shoving the part of train upgrade. As the swing locos crest the grade, the engineer might move the fence so that rear locos are still shoving, but he controls the front and swing locos together. Once the whole train is heading downgrade, he might take down the fence and control all locos with only the his lead loco's throttle setting. The exception to starting the train "fence down" could be if the train is actually sitting on an undulating grade--then building the fence might make sense.

The thing to remember here is that the main reason for distributing power using DP (or manned helpers) to reduce drawbar stresses and to reduce the chance of a train "string-lining" on a curve. I know engineers who run on mountain grades with big, heavy trains. Running DP for them is an art because one has to understand the physics of what is going on in the train behind them. In the old manned helper days (and where I work we still use manned helpers), the engineers learn to run a lot by "feel." The swing and rear helper engineers can feel the train bunching or stretching and can deftly adjust their throttle setting to minimize that. A DP engineer can only do that by seeing the readouts of what his locos are doing (pulling, etc.) and by knowing his track profile and how to adjust his DP locomotives to adapt to it. One of the big problems with DP in the real world is if the DP locos lose radio communication with the lead loco set, they simply drop to idle. That can cause all kinds of mischief from stalled trains on grade to pulled drawbars to string lining and a derailment. Losing communication with DP's can especially be an issue in tunnels.

I believe that, just as is the case with an EOT (FRED), the engineer can dump the air on DP's to get a faster application of brakes for the whole train. As others noted, the DP locos (as is the case with loco's MU'ed together) contribute their air to charge the train line, as well. I would think that the CFM output of all the compressors that are running in the consist should be additive to charging the train line.

#39 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

View Postedwardk, on 22 February 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Just in case you do not know, as of V3447, the diesel code was refactored. Your existing code for the HUD is not working well with the new structure.

Thanks, I rebased the branch to the new codebase. It will happen from time to time until this branch will be merged to trunk, which will not happen before 1.1 is out, since we are in a feature freeze period now.

#40 User is offline   dekosoft 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

View Postgpz, on 23 February 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Thanks, I rebased the branch to the new codebase. It will happen from time to time until this branch will be merged to trunk, which will not happen before 1.1 is out, since we are in a feature freeze period now.

I'd like to see code that will add to 2D and 3D cabviews gauges for EOT devices and DPUs (the EOT brake pressure is already given in the F5 view). Would it be possible to support true multifunction display screens?

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users