• Move one unit to rear group
  • Move one unit to front group
  • Switch rear group to traction
  • Switch rear group to idle
  • Switch rear group to dyn.brake
  • Increase rear group traction or dyn.brake
  • Decrease rear group traction or dyn.brake

How would you assign them?

Why not use the Function keys on the keyboard?

I would suggest having a key combination like 'CTRL + D' to get into 'DPU mode'. Once in 'DPU mode' use the F1 to F8 keys on the key board as described in the manual. Then to exit 'DPU mode', either use the DPU F8 button or the 'CTRL + D' key combination to exit 'DPU mode' and return the function keys to their normal assigns.

Note that there should be 8 keys for DPU operations. F8 is used for both 'Exit' and 'Cancel' functions.

Also note that F4 has a dual function as 'Idle' and 'Execute'.

Having some sort of display of the status of the remote units would also be required. On modern locomotives (as per the ES44DC manual) this information is part of the visual display unit. For older locomotives like the ALCO 636 that don't have these displays, these were/are retro fitted with a LOCOTROL 'box' that has push buttons to perform the same functions as F1 – F8 above as well as a LCD screen displaying the status information of the remote units.

I would also suggest when coding DPU functions, that future integration with the cab controls/displays be provisioned for if possible.

I thank you for your time and efforts.

Cheers,

Marek.

#22 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

View Postgpz, on 14 March 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

By reading the pdf, there are a total of 7 keys are needed for the operation:

• Move one unit to rear group
  • Move one unit to front group
  • Switch rear group to traction
  • Switch rear group to idle
  • Switch rear group to dyn.brake
  • Increase rear group traction or dyn.brake
  • Decrease rear group traction or dyn.brake

How would you assign them?

My Point was just a Suggestion of what could be used, and also to throw into the discussio the idea of using modifiers for DPU controls (since I would not consider them Primary controls).

Cheers, Markus

#23 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

What are those vertical green lines mean on the display? To my understanding, only two groups may be defined: front and rear. But on example display it looks like three different throttle settings are displayed.

#24 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:34 AM

I know with LOCOTROL III, more than 2 groups can be defined though I don't know the limit. The BHP Billiton world record train used 8 x AC6000 locomotives in 5 groups.

2 Locomotives + 168 Cars,
1 Locomotive + 178 Cars,
1 Locomotive at the rear

I will have to go through my reference material, but if I'm not mistaken the vertical green lines defines the DPU 'groups'

A: and B: are 2 locos in the first group and C: is a single loco in the second group.

D: E: and G: are the third DPU 'group' in the train.

I suspect the 'Comm' column indicates a loco (F:?) in that group that does not support DPU control therefore can't transmit its status. I assume that it's MU'd between the E: and G: units and will therefore throttle and brake in unison with the other units in that third group.

Bear in mind that I'm not a train driver.

Cheers,

Marek.

#25 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

Ah, all right. There are two kind of groupings here. There are only 2 "control groups" can be defined, and up to 6 "locomotive groups". And locomotive groups can be assigned/removed one-by-one between front and rear "control groups".

#26 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostTyler Bundy, on 14 March 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

http://www.rr-fallen...l/es44dc-om.pdf

I don't know if this will help, but its right from the horse's mouth. PDF page 106 starts the Distributed Power section.

I browsed through my branches, and found, that I have actually mostly implemented this distributed power functionality to OpenRails at the time of the discussion in this thread, I just didn't finish it. Now I wired the functions to keyboard commands to see how it works.

Anyone can make a try as well. I have uploaded the modified source code to https://github.com/p...istributedPower. Can be compiled by Visual Studio 2015 by opening ORTS.sln, and selecting menu Build -> Rebuild Solution.

I have modified the Diesel locomotive detailed HUD (F5, then two times Shift+F5), so the data are now arranged in a way similar to the display shown in the above pdf. (To individual columns for each locomotive in consist.) Also added the following keyboard functions:

Ctrl+I - Move one locomotive group to back (async) control group
Ctrl+O - Move one locomotive group to front (sync) control group
Ctrl+L - Switch async group to traction
Ctrl+K - Switch async group to idle
Ctrl+J - Switch async group to dynamic braking mode
Ctrl+U - Increase async group traction or dyn-brake (depending on its mode setting above)
Ctrl+N - Decrease async group traction or dyn-brake (depending on its mode setting above)

Sync group can be controlled as usual: with A and D keys.

The pdf doesn't mention that async group's reverser or air-brake could be controlled independently, so those controls always copy the lead locomotive's settings.

#27 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

I read the same article in Trains Magazine. Two terms were used which are fence up and fence down. Fence down would mean all locomotives are synchronized. Fence up would evidently mean each group can be independently controlled.

Edward K.

#28 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

"Move one locomotive group to back (async) control group" actually means fence up. Fence is down when the last group had also been moved back to front (sync) control group. Just it is possible to move the fence further front or back the train.

I even draw the fence on HUD, both on main HUD in a new line "Multiple Units" with reading like "2-2|2-1", and also on locomotive detail HUD.

#29 User is offline   Andy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

At this point it would be fine if the DPU's worked like the other MU'd locos for power, dynamic, independent and auto brakes. The DPU's should also use their compressors to charge the brakes. Being able to fence the loco sets and operate them independently is not often necessary except in certain circumstances like starting on a grade or to emulate the early slave operations. It is a nice feature to have if there is a corresponding interactive screen in the cab even if all you do is monitor the operation of the DPU's.

#30 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Peter,

From what I have tested so far, this is excellent. Modified a consist to put a Dash9 on the rear and essentially used it to get the train rolling while my lead locomotives were basically doing nothing.

Just to confirm a few things. A group would be any number of locomotives that is not part of initial group that includes the player train? Does it matter if the trailing locomotives are missing items? Meaning, it was standard to have trailing locomotives stripped down to save on resources. I believe the trailing locomotives are lacking the cab view.

Edit: I just realized that the front group is the first group.

Edward K.

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users