• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remote Control DPU units Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Definitely has merit moving forward post version 1 of Open Rails. I would imagine that we would have to implement cab switching while the train is moving to do this in the first instance. As there are not that many keys available to allocate to functions, this if controlled from the lead cab would need to have a pop-up window, mouse controlled, to select the DPU group and power/dynamic requirements of that group.

#12 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Keep in mind that in the real world, the engineer would use a computer screen in the cab to do this and right now this of course is not possible so the only method would be using a pop up window. In fact, the train operations window could be used for starters. Additional information would have to be provided for the locomotives in the consist. The default operation would be how the locomotives are being used now. First line of thought would be to select the locomotive via the train operations window and while the locomotive selected, choose the option "Fence Up". At this point, while the locomotive is still selected, the same keys that is used for the player train can be used for the selected DPU train.

Edward K.

#13 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

It might be best to implement the real world locomotive computer display as a pop-up window, and not starting to play with replacement simplified solutions. (The window may be simplified and focused to this particular function, but the functionality itself may not.)

#14 User is offline   firealarmguy 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

The reason why I brought this up was because Run 8 has it, and for a week since I started this thread, I'm coming up with ideas on how it should be laid out, and yes, I had a pop-up window in mind, such as maybe F3. And maybe have "push buttons" you can click on, just like the real Locotrol III.

#15 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:23 AM

I agree that a pop-up control might be the best way to implement DPU settings, and have it mimic a real-world screen in miniature. But unless it could be implemented simply and quickly, I'd nominate it to be held off until after v1.0 -- it's more within the scope of "beyond MSTS".

#16 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Is there a kind of real world Locontrol "User's Guide" available somewhere, with screenshots and usage instrustions? (Probably as part of some kind of locomotive drivers' training material.)

#17 User is offline   Tyler Bundy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

http://www.rr-fallen...l/es44dc-om.pdf

I don't know if this will help, but its right from the horse's mouth. PDF page 106 starts the Distributed Power section. I haven't had time to read all of the text yet.

If it were to ever be implemented, it would be nice to be able to model and specify the individual radio control systems as there were several. The popup window would be an excellent option for control display(such as a mockup of the computer screen), but I believe a physical key combination would be nice to have. The reasoning for specific keys is that one could model a straight helper or old-school radio control like the Southern training video above. I suppose you could "unlock" or separate the helpers using an on/off selection, and maybe move the fence/helper set on the popup, but the physical keys could control the selected throttle. It is necessary at times to have control of both the lead and helper at the same time. It would also be SUPER cool to implement this idea in a model of UP 844 to use diesel helpers...only when needed! I think there are a number of applications this could be used for.

I agree that this feature is not needed immediately if the progress of v1.0 is impeded. Still, something to think about for the future.

Tyler

#18 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

For me, the normal controls (A, D, W, S, and maybe the dynamics keys (forgot the default)) would well work with modifiers (Ctrl, Shift, Alt) for DPU control. Maybe that´s a possibility (DPU controls are no primary controls, IMHO, so modifiers should be OK)?

Cheers, Markus

#19 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

FYI the September 2010 issue of Trains Magazine (USA) dedicated an entire cover story to how DPU systems were developed and how they work. Another article in the same issue discusses various precursors from the 1960's and 70's used by SOU, L&N, N&W and C&O that paved the way for modern DPU's. Maybe these articles could prove useful to the OR developers.

#20 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 14 March 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

For me, the normal controls (A, D, W, S, and maybe the dynamics keys (forgot the default)) would well work with modifiers (Ctrl, Shift, Alt) for DPU control. Maybe that´s a possibility (DPU controls are no primary controls, IMHO, so modifiers should be OK)?

By reading the pdf, there are a total of 7 keys are needed for the operation:

• Move one unit to rear group
  • Move one unit to front group
  • Switch rear group to traction
  • Switch rear group to idle
  • Switch rear group to dyn.brake
  • Increase rear group traction or dyn.brake
  • Decrease rear group traction or dyn.brake

How would you assign them?

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic