Elvas Tower: Is This a New Feature Idea - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is This a New Feature Idea Or has this been brought up before Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

View Postgpz, on 15 February 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

The scripting interface must be written in a way that both a new key should be possible to assign to it if needed, and the function should work exactly like in reality.

Ah, well then I would think instead of using the ORTSDoesBellTriggerLightSpecial code, to instead maybe assign the special-light function to CTRL+H? As far as I am aware, that is not in use.

Unfortunately, however, due to differences of countries of trains, and functionalities held within of said trains and their lights... I do not believe it would be easy in the slightest use of the word to get something 'exactly like in reality'. And even differences within the same country. Using the US for example, modern locomotives have a ditch-light flasher button which when pressed, will activate the alternating ditch lights for I believe it's either 30 seconds or 1 minute. But again, those are modern ones such as the SD40-3, ES44DC/AC/ETC, ACS-64, and such. Older engines such as the P42DC, D944-CW, D8-40C, SD50, GP30, F40PH, etc, varied between I believe(IF memory serves right), either until a cancel button was pressed as the later of the listed auto-flashed until cancelled, or in the earlier engines it was a setting on the lights you had to manually turn off and on. And that's just the functionality options of ditch and gyra/Mars lights! I have no idea what other countries could have for stuff as that, so.

#12 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

That's why I am saying, scripting will be the solution for this problem. I could code any of the variations you mention here within 1-2 hours, but neither of them is worth including into the official OR version, since each one is used only on few particular locomotives. And developing a common fixed-function set that covers all of them, besides all the others, that world locomotives use, is difficult to impossible. So the solution may be: one locomotive type, one script. Such a script might not be more than 20-30 lines.

#13 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:10 AM

View Postgpz, on 15 February 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

That's why I am saying, scripting will be the solution for this problem. I could code any of the variations you mention here within 1-2 hours, but neither of them is worth including into the official OR version, since each one is used only on few particular locomotives. And developing a common fixed-function set that covers all of them, besides all the others, that world locomotives use, is difficult to impossible. So the solution may be: one locomotive type, one script. Such a script might not be more than 20-30 lines.

OH I see now! Hm that's an interesting idea... Using scripting to do that. Any recommended resources for learning scripting with ORTS?

#14 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Not yet, no scripting will be available before (and including) 1.0 release, sorry.

#15 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

View Postgpz, on 15 February 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

Not yet, no scripting will be available before (and including) 1.0 release, sorry.

Wait, what? Then... How does that TGV over in the modeling sub-forum section have working scripts..?

#16 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

That is a different script, not related to this problem. Also, that scripting has to be reworked for this one to work, so that everything will be unified. Not something that fits into pre-1.0 phase.

#17 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postgpz, on 15 February 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

That is a different script, not related to this problem. Also, that scripting has to be reworked for this one to work, so that everything will be unified. Not something that fits into pre-1.0 phase.

Alright then, if ya say so! XD I don't understand quite what that's sposed to mean, but you -know- what you're talking about, after all! I mean -you- are part of the Dev Team, not me, haha. So alright! I'll wait for the post 1.0 scripting stuff then. Thanks for taking the time to reply, gpz!

#18 User is offline   bwyrick 

• Conductor

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:33 PM

Sorry to bump a post that hasn't seen an update in 6 years, but I was wondering if there had been any sort of progress made towards having something like oscillating ditch lights or strobes being activated by the bell command for stuff like passenger/commuter power. I'm working on a project for a friend of mine (F59PHIs for a fictional commuter line), and was trying to see if there was a way I could code the ditch lights to change state with the bell using something in the code like

Light (
comment( Head Flasher Light Bright Left )
Type ( 0 )
Conditions (
Headlight ( 3 )
Unit ( 2 )
Bell ( 1 )
Control ( 0 )
Penalty ( 1 )
)
FadeIn ( 0.5 )
FadeOut ( 0.5 )
Cycle ( 0 )
States ( 1
State (
Duration ( 0.0 )
LightColour ( ffffffff )
Position ( -0.9405 1.8826 8.439 )
Azimuth ( -31 -31 -31 )
Transition ( 0 )
Radius ( 0.5 )
)
)
)

for when the bell is off, and something like

Light (
comment( Flashing Light Left )
Type ( 0 )
Conditions (
Headlight ( 2 )
Unit ( 2 )
Bell ( 2 )
Control ( 0 )
Penalty ( 1 )
)
Cycle ( 0 )
FadeIn ( 0.0 )
FadeOut ( 0.0 )
States ( 2
State (
Duration ( 0.6 )
LightColour ( 00000000 )
Azimuth ( -31 -31 -31 )
Transition ( 1.0 )
Radius ( 0.5 )
)
State (
Duration ( 0.6 )
LightColour ( ffffffff )
Azimuth ( -31 -31 -31 )
Transition ( 1.0 )
Radius ( 0.5 )
)
)
)
for when the bell is on, sort of following the way lights were somewhat traditionally coded following the pattern of
Bell ( 0 ) -Ignore Bell status
Bell ( 1 ) -Bell is off
Bell ( 2 ) -Bell is activated

I had also (in testing) tried using 0, 1 in place of 1, 2 in the respective lines to see if I was mixing codes.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users