Elvas Tower: Human dispatching - a trial version - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Human dispatching - a trial version Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:40 AM

Great job an idea. But as a railroader I think something related to disipatching has been missing for years that in the future the dispatch system or/and activity/path trigger events should include the options to give out Form A an C speed restrictions of a chosen speed by dispatcher. MSTS only had one option for speed reductions an that is the one an only restricted speed option set in route TRK file sets an setting it in activity editor point to point but not past switches. Speed restrictions should not always be at slower restricted speeds.

I already make some activities with ORTS great ability to trigger sounds at activity event messages instead of invisible cars in sidings with attached sounds where player trains follow directions an detector messages. Regardless of following or not... the regular speed limit still shows in track monitor that AI trains don’t follow the directions because it’s not triggered in track monitor or should I say TDB.

What I say may be off topic but I will make a new thread discussing how AI speeds can be handled as well as track monitoring vs PTC. PTC is not that hard to understand but it can help AI an Autopilots Control speeds since AI don’t have same difficulty climbing grades as player trains as you got to have ability to control AI speeds from reaching track speeds all the time.

#22 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

I do like the idea of speed restrictions, both for track conditions (slow orders) or for track work being done, which I recall hearing called Form A and B (the letters can and do vary between railroads).

Another possibility would be flagging a level crossing as malfunctioning. The trick would be then, do you do just one object, or all at a given crossing, as the vast majority will have more than one LC object at a crossing.

Also an interesting one would be something analagous to track warrants (authority to occupy main track in unsignalled territory). While these can be used in signalled territory, too (TWC/ABS is an example), I'm not sure how feasible it would be

#23 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Form B is a interesting thing an complys with calling the track gang foreman for authority to enter his limits at red flags an repeating his said authority on radio an if it is correct you may pass his red flag at max authorized speed, restricted speed or speed he wants you to go.

But first before encountering red flags you see a Yellow Red flag where you start contacting foreman when approaching limits where ORTS can simulate this by time limits set to a chosen time frame just like the special waiting points to hold trains at signals but in this situation flags. Pass it no authority you fired an could of costed lives.

As for Form C it specials certain trains with certain equipment as well as grade crossing restrictions like mentioned an other conditions for track an equipment as well as defective detectors.

#24 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

The feature is now available in rel. 21 of OR NewYear Mg, see here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__248026
When the train is re-routed on a route which doesn't return to the initial route, its path is displayed in yellow in the dispatcher info HUD.
Station stops are re-assigned to corresponding platforms, if any.

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

The feature is now available also in the official OR version x.1.3.1-58.

#26 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Thank you Carlo!

#27 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Great addition Carlo. Is there any work being done or considered to being able to add a better dispatch screen to routes such as this for example (below)? The current version makes it somewhat difficult to manage trains on an entire route.

Attached Image: F7FE9DD9-F59D-409D-82BB-94EC35114027.jpeg

#28 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

That would be of course a welcome feature, but it's not at all simple to develop. While the actual dispatcher window route layout is automatically generated, a picture like the one shown above should be first manually generated with a sort of editor, and developing the editor is not a small task. But I believe having read in this forum some time ago that there was someone in Eastern Europe which was developing something like this for OR.

#29 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:29 AM

Hi Carlo.

This thread is inactive for some time but I have a sugestion to make. For quite some time I have been a user of Train Director, and developer of content for it.

Train Director 3
https://www.backerstreet.com/traindir/images/field.jpg

I find the editor quite easy to use, the script possibilities are very usefull, and the timetable editor is possibly more user friendly then our OR timetable editor (just my opinion, because information is simply vertical based, while the ORtimetable editor is a spreadsheet with trains on an horizontal axis)

I really think it is worth seeing this and come to talk to Giampiero Caprino, it's author.

Does anyone here ever used this CTC simulator?

#30 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:41 AM

That seems a very interesting development. Linking it with OR would be great, but I don't know if it is possible, and I am quite busy with TCSs. But I hope I'll have the time to contact Giampiero.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users