• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I want to run OR without MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hawk, I defer to Lindsay . . . . since that is where I got the information I illustrated above in the first place and then tested in depth.

best,
vince

#12 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 14 January 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Open Rails only requires ............

GLOBAL
ROUTES
TRAINS
SOUND

This requires some qualification, as these may be the folders OR requires - but the contents is something quite different.

GLOBAL:
many routes use specific track sets, like XTRACK, UK-finescale etc.
Routes which solely use such sets do not need the any of the original MSTS files from GLOBAL, as all required files come from the relevant track set.

ROUTES:
in principle, to run a route only that specific route folder is required.
However, many routes - in particular freeware routes - use much stuff from the original MSTS routes, and therefor the original MSTS routes need to be available in order to install these routes properly.

TRAINS:
similar as to routes, more or less. Again, only the folders for the trains which are actually used are required, but here too many such items refer to original MSTS files like cabviews and, in particular, soundfiles. Many consists refer to engines or wagons from original MSTS routes but those can be easily exchanged for other engines or wagons.

SOUND:
this folder needs many of the original MSTS files. Only very few routes provide a full new soundset.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#13 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying it all a bit more, Rob. :drinks:

:sign_rockon:

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:09 AM

View Postroeter, on 14 January 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

This requires some qualification, as these may be the folders OR requires - but the contents is something quite different.

GLOBAL:
Routes which solely use such sets do not need the any of the original MSTS files from GLOBAL, as all required files come from the relevant track set.

ROUTES:
However, many routes - in particular freeware routes - use much stuff from the original MSTS routes, and therefor the original MSTS routes need to be available in order to install these routes properly.

TRAINS:
similar as to routes, more or less. Again, only the folders for the trains which are actually used are required, but here too many such items refer to original MSTS files like cabviews and, in particular, soundfiles. Many consists refer to engines or wagons from original MSTS routes but those can be easily exchanged for other engines or wagons.

SOUND:
this folder needs many of the original MSTS files. Only very few routes provide a full new soundset.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

That was a very good post. I intend to insert it in the OR manual.

#15 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:34 AM

GLOBAL:

ROUTES:

TRAINS:

SOUND:

Regards
Rob Roeterdink

I never bothered try and work out individual files as thats simply to much work for what I required, that is to find out what OR required to run correctly. SOUND was a late add into the list as quite a bit of Australian routes and rolling stock ran mostly OK without it.

All I did to try was copy the directories mentioned into a separate directory named accordingly (OR_Australian, OR_UK, OR Swiss etc) and then pointed OR to these, no problems really, like falling off a log ;).

Note: the source for the directories mentioned was a basic install of MSTS with updates and MSTSbin installed with basic extra's such as Xtracks, UKfinescale, Newroads etc installed (no additional routes or rolling stock). This basic setup is used as the source for all my OR directiories

Read folders (i believe) for directories, My normal OS is Linux it uses a different naming scheme, I hardly ever run windows. On a suitably configured Linux system MSTS runs quite OK under wine as does a number of MSTS utilities writen with .NET, ie they run without wine using Mono. (Even Openrails now runs on LInux under wine, although I have as yet not tried it)

LIndsay

#16 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

GLOBAL:

Don't forget about smokemain.ace and dieselsmoke.ace here.

#17 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

Thanks everybody. She's up and running. :D

;)

#18 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

But you still have to have MSTS installed to add/modify/delete activities and you need Route Editor - still have to go in and move the trees out of the track! :bigboss:

#19 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

The default environment files should also be considered.

#20 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, all. I have deleted it off this weak, 1.3grz laptop. The processor is far too inefficient to run any games on it. I only bought this machine to get my XP gaming machine off the net.
I use a memory stick to transfer files from one PC to the other, now.

:bigboss:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users