• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My 3D cabs or should I my feeble attempt at 3D cabs Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Nice cabs Anthony.

Thanks for the information about there being 2 references to the controls in the .S file. I now have working controls as well.

If you manage to get the digital displays to work please advise how. I have closely examined the DF11G cab.s file but fail to see how the faces that are assigned for these displays work. In the DF11G cab the face normals for the assigned displays all face towards the bottom of the cab and 2 of the displays are below the control desk yet display correctly in OR.

Once again thanks for your updates, keep them coming. I'm sure they are helping and inspiring others as well.

Cheers,

Marek.

#12 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

Faces in digits are not used, only the location and orientation of the group are useful. I think you need at least one face for a group to be valid, you can hide it to make it invisible. OR will dynamically generate digits based on the content, and will draw the first digit from the group' origin.

#13 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

Hey JTang,

Check your PM.

Hey Marek,

Guess ya found both sections in the .s file ok?? I don't know how long I tried to get them to work before I found the other section. I'd almost gave up on getting them to work.

#14 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

wow impressive work !

#15 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

Thanks!!

#16 User is online   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:39 AM

Thanks JTang for pointing me in the right direction, I finally got it working.

To explain it in 'gmax' speak, you must have an object called 'SPEEDOMETER' in the cab view and it needs to comprise of at least one face.

As my cab has only one digital speedometer I named this object SPEEDOMETER_0_14.

The number 0 indicates that this is the first speedometer gauge in the cab and the number 14 indicates the size of the font to display. Note that I use an underscore to separate the numbers as the LOD export tool does not support the use of colons in the object names when exporting. More on this later.

The speed does not display where the face for the SPEEDOMETER object is located but where the 'pivot point' for the SPEEDOMETER object is located. Normally you would place the SPEEDOMETER object somewhere in the cab where it will not be seen.

With the 'SPEEDOMETER_0_14' object selected in gmax, go to the 'Hierarchy' tab, select 'Affect Pivot Only' and click 'Align to World' to reset the orientation to world coordinates. Then use the 'Select and Move' tool to move the pivot to where in the cab you wish the numerals to appear. As you have aligned the pivot point to World coordinates the numerals will display vertically. As most loco primary displays are normally angled you may have to rotate the pivot point so that it aligns with the angle of the 'display screen'.

Export the .S file for the cab as per normal.

You will then have to uncompress the .S file for the cab using Shape File Manager or the .S file decompression tool of your choice.

Then open the .S file with a text editor and search for the letters 'speed' until you find the first instance of SPEEDOMETER_0_14 and change it to be SPEEDOMETER:0:14. Search again and find the second instance of SPEEDOMETER_0_14 and change that also to SPEEDOMETER:0:14. Save the .S file in the text editor.

Now just one more thing. Download the DF11G_3DCab demo (sorry I cant find the link). In the CABVIEW3D folder of that download you will find an ace file called 'SPEED.ACE'. Copy that file and paste it into the CABVIEW3D folder for your model.

Open OR and test.

I still have some outstanding issues like the colour of the display. It appears (and I could be wrong) that you have to change the colour in the SPEED.ACE file if you want the numerals to display in a different colour.

The numbers on the digital display and the F5 view do not match and and the difference roughly equates to the difference between metric and imperial speed measurements. The cvf file in my locomotive uses Units ( KM_PER_HOUR ) for speed indication. When the F5 view displays the loco doing 70 km/h the digital display shows 40.

I'll investigate these issues further but domestic duties call so I gotta go.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marek.

#17 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

Hey Marek,

Thanks for the info, got the digital speedometer to work and it shows the right speed.

Tried it on the digital brake\air gauges and couldn't get them to show. Wonder if they are they implemented in the game yet, or if I am I doing something wrong on them??

#18 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

asullenger, on 10 February 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hey Marek,

Thanks for the info, got the digital speedometer to work and it shows the right speed.

Tried it on the digital brake\air gauges and couldn't get them to show. Wonder if they are they implemented in the game yet, or if I am I doing something wrong on them??

They need to be defined in the .cvf file for 2d cab.

#19 User is offline   asullenger 

• Hostler

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hmmmm, they're in the cvf file for the 2D, prolly something I'm doing.

I'll keep at it

#20 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

asullenger, on 10 February 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hmmmm, they're in the cvf file for the 2D, prolly something I'm doing.

I'll keep at it

Do you have an updated file I can take a look?

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users