• You cannot reply to this topic

Awaiting OR v1.0 Not long now Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

Here's an update on the lengthy thread Open Rails Project: Where are we, and where are we going? which discussed the release of v1.0. We took that into the Development Team forum to nail down the minimum we need to declare v1.0.

There proved to be strong views on both sides of the development team, but we considered all the Milestone entries from v1.0 which are still relevant but not "done" and decided to move them into the milestones for v1.1.

We still have to:

- update the documentation (which Carlo is leading), especially notes on differences from MSTS (e.g. smoke)
- complete a demo route
- create a v1.0 installer
- update the website

We will then apply a freeze on development commits and just allow bug-fixes for two weeks so we can be sure of a stable version to release as v1.0.

#2 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, go team!
Good for coming to a decision, for identifying what is needed to move forward.

This will be an important psychological milestone, I'm sure.

And thank you for all the work and time and passion that has gone into this! It's quite an achievement, really.

Christopher

#3 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

I know you have to stop somewhere and call it finished, at least at the 1.0 level. My only fear is that a firm V1.0 might negate future development. I had really hoped that route builder and activity builder would have been part of V1.0. :)

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Nice wish there Herb, but both of those items are going to take quite a while to get coded. V1.0 will not halt further development of OR, but a line has to be drawn under how far we go with running the old MSTS within the OR code.It is pretty darned close in that respect, with some things far exceeding MSTS. There are one or two essential items that need to be completed but they will be moved to V1.1 far as I can see.

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

It is good that the team recognises the pre-release period is for tidying up and fixing, but I doubt that two weeks will be long enough, perhaps four weeks would be the mimimum, then allow an agreed period for a selected group to beta test, with a further period to fix the 'spoiler bugs'.

I believe there is no immedate rush to release required - because users still have OR available to 'play' with in the meantime.

Q1 release [during the first three months of 2015] would allow sufficient leeway, without being tied to a specific date until a few days prior to OR V1 Day.

About the release: given the likely interest, file size and bandwidth hit - where will this release be hosted?

Another issue related to [possible] file size - what about downloaders with slow connection speeds? Everyone hates spanned archives, could the pacakage be in, say, two parts, with OR program files being - for example - as one archive, with additional material in a separate archive? [My double coffee kicked in for this post.]

Cheers Bazza.

#6 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi Folks,

All I can say is JOB WELL DONE and THANK YOU to all those who contributed to this effort... I must admit I was a little skeptical that it would ever get this far while testing your very first beta... Now you've gone and totally ruined MSTS for me as I find it utterly unusable...
:rolleyes:

LOL - I had the same thought as Herb though - we've finally reached 1.0 and now we get a much needed break... On the other hand - we've already started to see some of the new features OR has in store for us - now we get to move forward with things MSTS could never dreamed of doing... Pretty exciting if you ask me...

Best of luck on whatever you decide...

Regards,
Scott

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

<<ADMIN COMMENT>>

There were about 20 posts regarding headlights and so I split those off into their own thread. Please continue that discussion there and let's return this thread to its original purpose as described in the first post.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users