Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing CZ windows no transparency Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cuontv 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hello, I've run into an issue that seems to be OR specific and was wondering if anybody has had similar issues.Whenever I run the 3DTrains WP California Zephyr consist from the WP3 route (on any route, activity or explore in OR) the passenger car side windows are not transparent but solid, looking like they are blanked out or painted over. When I run the same equipment in MSTS everything's fine with proper see-through windows. A check in TGATool2A shows the ACE file transparencies to be present on the alpha channel and Shape Viewer shows visible windows with the proper tinting which leads me to believe the file is OK. In OR the dome car side windows do not appear transparent but the glass dome does (the dome is a separate file from the car sides). Thinking I might have a corrupt file somewhere I reloaded all the files of the train set off the route disc and had the same issue. The top domes and locomotive windows are correct, but every other window is solid as the attached photo shows. Attached Image: CZ No Windows.jpgMy graphics and rendering knowledge is limited so I will appreciate any and all help.Thanks,Tom

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

I might be wrong, but I have some memories from 1-2 year ago when this was discussed, and as I remember the conclusion was that these vehicle shapes have some special configuration that we cannot reproduce in OR for some reason, thus it will not be fixed. But I cannot recall when were the developers talking about it, and what were the details exactly. But it was here on ET, so a search might bring some more details.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

I was just searching for it when you posted, Peter. Here's the link>>>>>>>>>> http://www.elvastowe...age__hl__zephyr

I ended up making the windows darker also, easy enough to do. I think the model would have to be rebuilt to have transparent windows in OR?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Image00001.jpg

#4 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

I think a reskin should be enough, by cutting out the windows on side wall textures by 1-bit alpha, and enabling the alpha-test in their material settings.

#5 User is offline   cuontv 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I tried an archive search earlier but couldn't find anything wagon specific. The link Peter provided certainly answered a lot of questions and provided new details to learn from. I guess I'll go for the darker window scheme, it's a good idea that I can live with.
-Tom

#6 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

The cars are built without physical cutouts, instead relying on the alpha from the windows to cut-through the body (which has a transparent material flag). At the time, this was so I could use smaller textures on the cars, but in hindsight, it would have been better to cut the openings to begin with. :lol:

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostHack, on 24 November 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

The cars are built without physical cutouts, instead relying on the alpha from the windows to cut-through the body (which has a transparent material flag). At the time, this was so I could use smaller textures on the cars, but in hindsight, it would have been better to cut the openings to begin with. :)

Ah well, no worries. They are top notch models. I confess, no matter what route I'm running, if an activity calls for a Traffic Passenger AI I sometimes sub in those models just to see them flash by. Beauties.!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users