Elvas Tower: Autopilot mode - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Autopilot mode Rate Topic: -----

#131 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

It´s not possible with jumping. But it is possible to take over another locomotive - you need to couple to the other locomotive, change cabs and uncouple again. However, that procedure will likely leave the train you came in with as a static train, IE, it will not continue as an AI train (unless this can somehow be set up with the advanced AI shunting features).

Cheers, Markus

#132 User is offline   Matt1983 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Thanks guys

#133 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:39 AM

I know this Auto Pilot function is for testing only, but I really hope it stays in the program. ;)

I am really impressed how well it works, despite the shortcomings You mentioned in Your forum posts.

I have great fun just placing myself on the platform and watch the trains come and go, just like in real life.

It is great fun to watch the shunting, for instance.

And, I can do something that has proved almost impossible in real life (especially after 9/11), just jump aboard a train and tag along for the ride.

I know this is a Train Simulator, and I am supposed to drive the train, but who cares. Maybe it is my Day off, maybe I am on my way from my residence to take over a train in another town?

Anyway, most of the time this Auto Pilot thing works like a charm.

One small wish would be a 3 second time delay between the whistle sound and the train actually starting to move.
In real life the conductor blows the whistle, than enters the train and presses a buzzer button to tell the driver all is clear and the train is good to go.
This delay would also be great when engines reattach after shunting.
Normally when the engine reattaches, brake hoses might be reconnected/checked, so the train taking off instantly does not look real.

Why bother, You may ask.

The new Time Table Feature is a great addition, and enables me to make the Simulator sizzle with life.
I am still trying to grasp all the features, but I will try my best. :)

Driving my train along, I will now have to interact with the train in front of me, and I will now meet other trains along the way :) Super :)
Waiting at the platform for my passengers to embark, I can see other trains depart and arrive, and maybe I see an engine at a neighboring platform run around and reattach.

All these new AI trains are there to be seen, so making them look lifelike would be great. I know there are limitations, but I believe that implementation of these slight time delays is worth Your effort.

As for now:

Thank You for a Great Feature in a Great Train Simulator :)

ChrisD

#134 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostChrisD, on 19 June 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

I know this Auto Pilot function is for testing only, but I really hope it stays in the program. :sign_thanks:

Although it's more of a debug feature, we generally leave those in (unless they cause real problems) so that everyone can do and see more. I don't see this one being removed.

View PostChrisD, on 19 June 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

I know this is a Train Simulator, and I am supposed to drive the train, but who cares. Maybe it is my Day off, maybe I am on my way from my residence to take over a train in another town?

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I use auto pilot to see a new route or revisit an old one when I'm not feeling up to driving myself. Sometimes I even use it as a kind of screen saver whilst doing other things near to my computer. :rolleyes:

#135 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

It seems that many of the new features that are coming out, are not being developed for the timetable mode. I would love to see this option made available in the timetable mode. While activity development is fine and all that, I think you all may be inadvertently killing off a great feature, that could be made much better with little things such as working autopilot, WP horns, and such. The intro to this feature states it is a great way to test an activity. Well I am developing a timetable for the Orin Line, and autopilot sure would come in handy. It is about a third of the way completed, and it is impressive to see all the coal trains and all the tracks being populated and busy. But AP would sure come in handy. I am currently resorting to the SLI trainspotter in prime locations along the route, to insure things are running smoothly as more and more trains are added.

#136 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:32 AM

View PostDriver, on 29 June 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

It seems that many of the new features that are coming out, are not being developed for the timetable mode. I would love to see this option made available in the timetable mode. While activity development is fine and all that, I think you all may be inadvertently killing off a great feature, that could be made much better with little things such as working autopilot, WP horns, and such. The intro to this feature states it is a great way to test an activity. Well I am developing a timetable for the Orin Line, and autopilot sure would come in handy. It is about a third of the way completed, and it is impressive to see all the coal trains and all the tracks being populated and busy. But AP would sure come in handy. I am currently resorting to the SLI trainspotter in prime locations along the route, to insure things are running smoothly as more and more trains are added.

I am not quite sure where to ask, but You are just mentioning the scenario I want.

When selecting TimeTable Mode I am offered the choice of which train I want to drive, but what if my choice was to be: NONE?

Like You, I would select the Free Camera and find me a great trainspotting location and watch my scedule work.

Have You found a way to run a TimeTable where all trains are run by AI?

Tnx. :)

ChrisD

#137 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

It would be nice to have that feature implemented for standard multiplayer sessions or explore mode, for example, it would come in handy for long limitations, or I just wanna be at the dispatcher but have my train running... Hope it gets implemented soon.

#138 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

View PostDriver, on 29 June 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

It seems that many of the new features that are coming out, are not being developed for the timetable mode. I would love to see this option made available in the timetable mode. <snip!>

Yes, I agree. At the moment I have to add a static player train to the timetable and go to the free camera to see the timetabled trains in action.
My own timetable is developing well, but I`m envious of some of the extended AI features, not yet available in timetable mode. In particular, (un)coupling would be marvelous.
I hope that in time, these features might be incorporated into timetable mode.
rick

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users