• You cannot reply to this topic

New CabView then Resume not a bug but something that occurs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

First a qualifier: This is just something I noticed. It happens with all Cabviews I've used. This affects the main(frontt) view, left view and right view.
It is easily remedied by switching to any outside view (headout, camera 2, etc.) and then switching back to camera 1 (CabView).
An activity is saved. Between the save and resume the cabview is changed. When the activity is resumed all three views are looking downward at the tracks. Going to any "outside of the cab" camera will reset the views to straight ahead when the cabview is re-entered.
Not a big deal - just something that occurs. Does is seem a good idea to fix this? Is it easy to fix without bringing on a lot of other headaches/troubles/coding problems? Anyone else notice this?

See Screenshots - Cab1 is cabview at time of save; Cabs2,3,4 are downward looking views after changing cabview and resuming. CAB5 shot is corrected view after reset (any outside camera)

(I had not brought it up before because my initial reaction was "well what do you expect when you change something and then try to restart" I don't know what would happen in MSTS - did it ignore, crash or what?)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CAB1.jpg
  • Attached Image: CAB2.jpg
  • Attached Image: CAB3.jpg
  • Attached Image: CAB4.jpg
  • Attached Image: CAB5.jpg

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

Hmm, interesting. I have noticed some other weirdness from cab views on resume (e.g. sometimes the camera is looking in the right direction but the cab image is 50% off the top of the screen leaving a huge gap). Have you tried setting the cab view stretch to 100%? If that works it's probably related to the code which lets you pan up/down when the stretch is <100%.

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

I have my cabview stretch at 100% and do not have the problem Gerry is showing.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

My % cab 2D Stretch is always at 100%. Log is attached. Like I said, not too troublesome, just a curiousity.

To make myself clear .... you have to save while in the cabview, exit OR, change player's cvf to another working cabview, resume and the cabview will be oriented downward. Switch to any outside camera and then back to cabview and the orientation is straight ahead. I wonder if it could be cabview specific?
The two examples above are:
1st screenshot: GE-U23B-EW-CR-AS.cvf (cabview folder name: Common.Cab//SHR.CABS//GE-STD-7-CAB [Charlie Sibaja]
2,3,4 screenshots: sd40_CR.cvf (cabview folder name: Common.Cab\\CABVIEW_EMD_STANDARD_DIGITAL [Brad Bailey] and #5 after switching to outside view and reentering cabview - oriented correctly

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

There is definitely something wonky in how OR treats the cabview. When I start an activity using, for example a DieselsWest cab and a 35 degree cab stretch, in the initial cabview I can adjust the viewpoint upward to get a clear view of the track. If I go to another view (the Camera 2 view, for example), then back to the Cabview, the viewpoint is pointed downward and will not adjust upward again. This seems to affect some cabs and not others, and I have examined the Cabview files that will adjust and ones that won't, and I can see no difference in code that would trigger the behavior.

On a broader note, I think some attention to the Save/Resume code is likely in order. It seems that some things that work in the initial startup (AI smoke of late, for example) may not work in a resume game.

As always, I appreciate the hard work of the OR development team. Despite any such "irritations" as I described above, OR is such a HUGE improvement over MSTS that OR's relatively few issues are far, far outweighed by its many fine features.

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have found that OR is not following MSTS in the view direction of a lot of steam cabs. I am having to adjust the CVF files to get a normal view.

#7 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

View Postrailguy, on 31 October 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

There is definitely something wonky in how OR treats the cabview. When I start an activity using, for example a DieselsWest cab and a 35 degree cab stretch, in the initial cabview I can adjust the viewpoint upward to get a clear view of the track. If I go to another view (the Camera 2 view, for example), then back to the Cabview, the viewpoint is pointed downward and will not adjust upward again.

Pressing Ctrl+8 resets the camera views and will allow you to adjust the cab viewpoint with the arrow keys again.

#8 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

I hadn't thought about that--that should make it adjustable again, but it doesn't answer why it happens in the first place, and only with some cabviews. I've also wondered if it would make sense to enable the Page Up/Page Down keys to zoom the Cabview in and out--to the extent to have the Cabview at 100% or something less. As in the case with the other views, that would allow the zoom position to be "remembered" when the game is saved.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

I tried this with the Dash9 in Explore mode.
Sequence was:
- start explore mode
- save
- go to external view
- exit game
- restore
and the view was correct.
Then I made it a bit more complicated:
- start explore mode
- save
- go to external view
- go to cabview
- go to side cabview
- save
- go to external cabview
- exit game
- restore
Also switching between front and rear cab (I have added a rear cab, equal to the front cab, to the Dash9) does not cause the problem.
So I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

#10 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 November 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

I tried this with the Dash9 in Explore mode.
Sequence was:
- start explore mode
- save
- go to external view
- exit game
- restore
Then I made it a bit more complicated:
- start explore mode
- save
- go to external view
- go to cabview
- go to side cabview
- save
- go to external cabview
- exit game
- restore
Also switching between front and rear cab (I have added a rear cab, equal to the front cab, to the Dash9) does not cause the problem.
So I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

Hello,

What display aspect ratio are you using? I think people that are experiencing problems may be using widescreen aspect ratios.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users