Elvas Tower: OPEN RAILS Western Pacific 4-8-2 Locomotives, Tender, and Crews - Elvas Tower

Library Rule

No uploading is allowed here by anyone. That includes screenshots or other images. Any screenshot or image desired in any post must be hotlinked from an image hosting site(Photobucket, etc,) or existing topic in the main discussion forums.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OPEN RAILS Western Pacific 4-8-2 Locomotives, Tender, and Crews Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1942
File Name: OPEN RAILS Western Pacific 4-8-2 Locomotives, Tender, and Crews
File Submitter: midneguy
File Submitted: 05 Oct 2014
File Updated: 05 Oct 2014
File Category: Steam Locos Std Gauge

OPEN RAILS WESTERN PACIFIC 4-8-2's #172, #173, #176, #179, TENDER, AND CREWS

*** THESE MODELS HAVE BEEN UPDATED AND EXPANDED FROM THE PREVIOUS "BETA" OPEN RAILS RELEASE ***
*** SOUNDS HAVE BEEN RE-SYNCHRONIZED AND TUNED, AND SOME MODEL UPDATES HAVE BEEN DONE AS WELL ***

ENGINES PROVIDED IN PLAYER DRIVEABLE AND AI VERSIONS

These models have been constructed to represent how these engines would have appeared
in the 1930's to 1950'S.

The following historical and technical information is derived from the books
"Steam Locomotives of the Western Pacific" by Stephen M. Hayes, 2010, and
"Western Pacific Steam Locomotives, Passenger Trains, and Cars"
by Guy L. Dunscomb and Fred A. Stindt, 1980:

The Western Pacific 4-8-2 Mountain type engines originally started life as part of an order of 20 locomotives from Alco-Schenectady for the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1924. With the Great Depression and hard times facing the FEC, a number of these engines were sold to other railroads including ten which were bought by the Western Pacific in 1936 for $12,500 each. Three of the locomotives were rebuilt by the D&RGW in Salt Lake City, with the rest being rebuilt at the WP's Jeffery Shops in Sacramento at an average cost of $33,000 each. As they entered service they took the place of the smaller 4-6-0's on Oakland to Salt Lake City passenger trains until replaced by the GS-64's and finally diesels. None were equipped with boosters, though 172 did have a booster installed which it retained from 1941 through 1946. All were oil burners, superheated, equipped with one lifting injector and one Sellers exhaust injector, and in the late 1930's were equipped with smoke lifters of various designs. Oil capacity of their tenders was 4,000 gallons, and 10,000 gallons of water. All were out of service by 1952, and sadly none were preserved.

Specifications:

Type: 4-8-2 Mountain
Boiler: 200 psi, oil burning
Cylinder Bore and Stroke: 26" x 28"
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Driving Wheels: 73" Diameter
Locomotive and Tender Length: ~87'
Locomotive Weight Loaded: 313,000 lbs.
Weight on Drivers: 210,500 lbs.
Tractive Effort: 44,000 pounds

*****************************************************************************************

MODELING INFORMATION:

Locomotive and Tender models created in 3DCrafter Professional Edition, Version 9.1.1 (Build 1256). Post Processing of shape file performed with Shapefixer File Version 0.1.0.39 by Paul Gausden. Textures created using MS Paint and Photoshop Elements 6.0, and converted to .ace format by TGATool2A and AceIt by Scott Miller.

NOTE: With the exception of numbering, these models were not designed with re-texturing in mind so repaints will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Renumbering may be accomplished by editing the files WP172nums.ace, WP173nums.ace, WP176nums.ace, or WP179nums.ace .

*****************************************************************************************

INSTALLATION:

Unzip WPOR482s.zip to a temporary folder.

Move contents to ..\Train Simulator\ folder

Accept write overs if prompted, which will place a single engine consist for each locomotive in the CONSISTS folder and the Locomotive folder in the TRAINSET folder.

NOTES ON BUILDING CONSISTS WITH THE DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE TYPES SUPPLIED:

Included in this release are 2 types of locomotives to be used depending on their use as the lead or trailing / helper engine in a player controlled consist, or on an AI train. AI engines are supplied with different light specifications for automatic operation, and are not equipped with interior sounds or cab views. Player controllable or AI consists should be created as follows:

Lead / single engine in Player consist: wpor179.eng, and wpor482tend.wag
AI consist in any position: wpor179AI.eng, and wpor482tend.wag

ENGINES WITH OPTIONAL SMOKE DEFLECTORS (#172, #173, AND #179):

Lead / single engine in Player consist: wpor179sd.eng, and wpor482tend.wag
AI consist in any position: wpor179sdAI.eng, and wpor482tend.wag

NOTE: ENGINE #176 IS MODELED AS IT APPEARED SHORTLY AFTER DELIVERY TO THE WP BEFORE SMOKE DEFLECTORS WERE USED,
AND IS NOT SUPPLIED IN A SMOKE DEFLECTOR EQUIPPED VERSION

Engine Numbers 172, 173, or 176 may be substituted in the examples above.

NOTE: Engine files which contain "xtra" in their names denote those engines which have the class lights turned on. Engine files without "xtra" in their names have the class lights turned off.

******************************************************************************************

LEGAL:

As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid or non paid distribution without permission from Derek Miller, who can be reached via personal message at www.elvastower.com or www.trainsim.com forums (user midneguy). You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files with my permission. Copyrights for content included in these files, but not created by me as listed in the credits section of this readme.txt, are retained by the original authors. Refer to the included readme text files in the installed "WPOR482s" folder for copyright and distribution information for additional content not authored by Derek Miller.

Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

******************************************************************************************

CREDITS AND THANK YOUS:

3D Models and textures © 2014 by Derek Miller with the following exceptions:

3D Model of coupler © 2004 Jeff Link and Tim Muir, Coupler Texture base © 2004 Steve Thompson

Engineer and Fireman shapes & textures (a.k.a. "Tom's Crews") are provided for use with this
model and may not be copied, modified, and/or transferred to a different model for distribution.
For information on adding "Tom's Crews" to models for distribution, contact
Tom Werb ("Sandy River Tom") via personal message at ElvasTower.com

Extra Thanks go to Tom Werb for creating the Crews for these models.

MSTS Steam loco photorealistic cab view,
suitable for US built, small to medium locos,
circa 1910-1935. Operable controls include;
throttle, reverse lever, train and engine
brakes, bell, whistle, sander and cylinder
cocks. From photos of SVRy #19. By Rick
Grout and Steve Thompson.

Sound credits:
Whistle sound provided by Chris Signorelli & Bill Hobbs, North American Steam Whistle Pack.
Bell sound provided by Captain Bazza, aka Barry R Munro
Background, Compressor, and Injector Sounds provided by Derek Miller
loco4, loco5, and loco6 Sounds provided by Derek Miller with permission from Alan, Youtube user 44950 and recorded from Youtube video http://youtu.be/XEa24Cllaqw

All other non-default sounds provided by Brandon Smith

Texturing and Modeling Advice (from elvastower.com forums): Rick (thegrindre), Tim Muir, Dave Nelson, Bill Pratt, Alexey Soljenitchev, Fleegle411, Allen Norton, Herb Kelsey, Philip Michlian, and Tom Werb.

Providing my "I can do that" moment: Scott (scottb613 at elvastwer.com forums) and his "big dog - birth of a steam locomotive" series.

Inspiriation and Encouragement: All listed above and those at the elvastower.com forums, both in the thread of the construction of these models, and inspiration from other models I have admired.

Herb Kelsey for his help in refining the .eng and .wag file variables for engine performance.

Donald Yungling for providing many excellent photos for the models.

Beta Testing and Input: Herb Kelsey, Tim Muir, Mike Long, Donald Yungling, and Tom Werb.

Brandon Smith for providing the .sms concept and the many of the sound files used.

Tom Werb for the use of his excellent "Tom's Crews" cab figures.

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modeling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy these models!

Derek Miller
October, 2014

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   Logan20131 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Railworks, MSTS, Trainz

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

This is going with my collection of SP and WP locomotives.

#3 User is offline   Got 14xx? 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Trainz 2009

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Awesome loco, looks fantastic.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users