Elvas Tower: OPEN RAILS Southern Pacific GS-2 Locomotives, Tenders, and Crews - Elvas Tower

Library Rule

No uploading is allowed here by anyone. That includes screenshots or other images. Any screenshot or image desired in any post must be hotlinked from an image hosting site(Photobucket, etc,) or existing topic in the main discussion forums.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OPEN RAILS Southern Pacific GS-2 Locomotives, Tenders, and Crews Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1939
File Name: OPEN RAILS Southern Pacific GS-2 Locomotives, Tenders, and Crews
File Submitter: midneguy
File Submitted: 30 Sep 2014
File Category: Steam Locos Std Gauge

OPEN RAILS SOUTHERN PACIFIC GS-2 4-8-4's #4410, #4413, #4414, #4415, TENDERS, AND CREWS

*** THESE MODELS HAVE BEEN UPDATED AND EXPANDED FROM THE PREVIOUS "BETA" OPEN RAILS RELEASE ***
*** SOUNDS HAVE BEEN RE-SYNCHRONIZED AND TUNED, AND SOME MODEL UPDATES HAVE BEEN DONE AS WELL ***

ENGINES PROVIDED IN PLAYER DERIVABLE AND AI VERSIONS

These models have been constructed to represent how these engines would have appeared
from the 1930's Daylight scheme through the 1950'S.

The following historical and technical information is derived from the book
"Southern Pacific Daylight Locomotives" by Robert J. Church

With the launch of the new Daylight Streamliners, the Southern Pacific purchased 6 locomotives numbered 4410 through 4415 which were delivered in 1937 from the Lima Locomotive Works. These engines were essentially streamlined and improved versions of the GS-1's built by Baldwin. They were capable of developing 4500 HP at 55 mph, and were cross balanced for speeds up to 90 mph. In this set, engine number 4413 represents how these engines appeared in Daylight service in the late 1930's, and 4415 represents how they appeared with small differences around 1940's. 4414 represents how these engines appeared after being painted all black for other duties such as the Shasta and Overland routes. Lastly, 4410 represents how these engines appeared in the 1950's when the skirts were removed for their last days in service. All were oil burners, were equipped with trailing truck boosters, Worthington feedwater heaters, and Elesco superheaters. The tenders were specially designed for these engines, having 6000 gallons oil and 21,600 gallons water capacity. These engines were all retired by 1957, and sadly none were preserved.

Specifications:

Type: 4-8-4 Northern
Boiler: 250 psi, oil burning
Cylinder Bore and Stroke: 27" x 30"
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Driving Wheels: 73 1/2" Diameter
Locomotive Weight Loaded: 448,400 lbs.
Weight on Drivers: 266,500 lbs.
Tractive Effort: 62,200 pounds, with booster 74,710 pounds

*****************************************************************************************

MODELING INFORMATION:

Locomotive and Tender models created in 3DCrafter Professional Edition, Version 9.1.1 (Build 1256). Post Processing of shape file performed with Shapefixer File Version 0.1.0.39 by Paul Gausden. Textures created using MS Paint and Photoshop Elements 6.0, and converted to .ace format by TGATool2A and AceIt by Scott Miller.

NOTE: With the exception of numbering, these models were not designed with re-texturing in mind so repaints will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Renumbering may be accomplished by editing the files SP4410nums.ace, SP4413nums.ace, or SP4414nums.ace .

*****************************************************************************************

INSTALLATION:

Unzip SPORGS2s.zip to a temporary folder.

Move contents to ..\Train Simulator\ folder

Accept write overs if prompted, which will place a single engine consist for each locomotive in the Consists folder and
the Locomotive and crew car folders in the Trainset folder.

NOTES ON BUILDING CONSISTS WITH THE DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE TYPES SUPPLIED:

Included in this release are 2 types of locomotives to be used depending on their use as the lead or trailing / helper engine in a player controlled consist, or on an AI train. AI engines are supplied with different light specifications for automatic operation, and are not equipped with interior sounds or cab views. Player controllable or AI consists should be created as follows:

Lead / single engine in Player consist: spor4410.eng, and spor4410tend.wag
AI consist in any position: spor4410AI.eng, and spor4410tend.wag

Engine Numbers 4413, 4414, or 4415 may be substituted in the examples above.

NOTE: Engine files which contain "xtra" in their names denote those engines which have the class lights turned on. Engine files without "xtra" in their names have the class lights turned off.

******************************************************************************************

Brandon Smith has graciously allowed me to include his sounds for the air horn on SP 4449 with these models. Alternate versions of the .eng files have been created which reference "horn playing" engine, sound, and cabview files. In the main SPORGS2s folder you'll find two other folders named "HornEngFiles" and "WhistleEngFiles". To change the engines to versions that play the horn, simply copy the files from the "HornEngFiles" folder into the main SPORGS2s folder. To change back to whistle playing engines, simply copy the files from the "WhistleEngFiles" folder into the main SPORGS2s folder.

******************************************************************************************

TRAIN NUMBER BOARD EDITING

The Train number boards on the sides of the skyline casing may be edited to match any train designation you'd like to use. Each locomotive has a unique train number texture assigned to it, named TrainNums4410.ace, TrainNums4413.ace, TrainNums4414.ace, and TrainNums4415.ace . I have provided the source .bmp files for these textures in a separate folder named TrainNumsTemplates in the SPORGS2s trainset folder. Simply copy the desired numbers into the corresponding number board position in the top row of the bitmap file, and re-export to .ace format in the SPORGS2s trainset folder.

LEGAL:

As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid or non paid distribution without permission from Derek Miller, who can be reached via personal message at www.elvastower.com or www.trainsim.com forums (user midneguy). You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files with my permission. Copyrights for content included in these files, but not created by me as listed in the credits section of this readme.txt, are retained by the original authors. Refer to the included readme text files in the installed "SPMSTSGS2s" folder for copyright and distribution information for additional content not authored by Derek Miller.

Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

OPEN RAILS NOTES:

I have made every effort to make these engines compatible with the additional parameters and improvements available in Open Rails at the time these models were submitted to the file library. I may or may not make updated .eng and .wag files available as improvements continue to be made to the Open Rails program, but primary responsibility for maintaining these files to correspond with future Open Rails development will lie with the end user.

CREDITS AND THANK YOUS:

3D Models and textures © 2014 by Derek Miller with the following exceptions:

Special Thanks to Rick Grout for permission to include his excellent SP&S 700 cabview in this download package.

Engineer and Fireman shapes & textures (a.k.a. "Tom's Crews") are provided for use with this
model and may not be copied, modified, and/or transferred to a different model for distribution.
For information on adding "Tom's Crews" to models for distribution, contact
Tom Werb ("Sandy River Tom") via personal message at ElvasTower.com

Extra Thanks go to Tom Werb for creating the Crews for these models.

Sound credits:
Whistle and Horn sound provided by Brandon Smith
Bell Sound provided by Herb Kelsey
backhiss322 Sound provided by Derek Miller
loco4, loco5, and loco6 Sounds provided by Derek Miller with permission from Alan, Youtube user 44950 and recorded from Youtube video http://youtu.be/XEa24Cllaqw

All other non-default sounds provided by Brandon Smith

Texturing and Modeling Advice (from elvastower.com forums): Rick (thegrindre), Tim Muir, Dave Nelson, Bill Pratt, Alexey Soljenitchev, Fleegle411, Allen Norton, Herb Kelsey, Philip Michlian, and Tom Werb.

Providing my "I can do that" moment: Scott (scottb613 at elvastwer.com forums) and his "big dog - birth of a steam locomotive" series.

Inspiriation and Encouragement: All listed above and those at the elvastower.com forums, both in the thread of the construction of these models, and inspiration from other models I have admired.

Herb Kelsey for his help in reviewing technical details of the construction of the models, and refinements to the .eng and .wag file variables.

Donald Yungling for providing many excellent photos and drawings for the models, and also providing the Train Number Board insert images.

Beta Testing and Input: Herb Kelsey, Tim Muir, Mike Long, Donald Yungling, and Tom Werb.

Brandon Smith for providing the .sms concept and many of the sound files used including the air horn, whistle, and bell from SP 4449.

Tom Werb for the use of his excellent "Tom's Crews" cab figures.

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modeling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy these models!

Derek Miller
September, 2014

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   Logan20131 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Railworks, MSTS, Trainz

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

I hope I can get this model soon. I'm going to convert it to a Trainz and Railworks locomotive.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Well you'll need permission first.

#4 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

I was scanning through messages in this section and realized I missed this one...

If you want to convert the model for your own personal use, and only for your personal use, go ahead.

However, at this time I do not give permission for any of my models that anyone may have converted to another simulator platform to be distributed publicly in any form.

#5 User is offline   Logan20131 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Railworks, MSTS, Trainz

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

View Postmidneguy, on 19 March 2016 - 09:13 PM, said:

I was scanning through messages in this section and realized I missed this one...

If you want to convert the model for your own personal use, and only for your personal use, go ahead.

However, at this time I do not give permission for any of my models that anyone may have converted to another simulator platform to be distributed publicly in any form.

I'd like it for personal use only and would like the original 3d model and the GS-6 and GS-64 models for my personal project. Please may I do this?

#6 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

I've heard that there seem to be some tools our there that allow for converting models for use in different sims, and I'm realistic enough to know that for those determined enough they'll probably do so. This doesn't necessarily bother me as long as they only do this for their own personal use and never redistribute the converted models without my permission. Regarding giving out my source files for any models, in particular the mesh files, that's not something I'm really open to at this time and will respectfully decline any requests for them for the time being.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users