• You cannot reply to this topic

.NET CRASH IN X2533 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 02 October 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

Just interested. Followed the thread. Any ideas what would cause a problem like this? What would cause problems with the performance counters in the OS? I have not seen this pop up before in any of the OR threads.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've had it happen a couple of times over the many years I've run Windows systems. It could be as simple as an app being uninstalled that had its own performance counters (any app can register to provide new performance counters but obviously most don't) but not doing the removal correctly.

#12 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 October 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Honestly, I'm not sure...

I strongly suspect my problem was running the old Nvidia Performance Monitor. I still ran it in Windows 7 for no really good reason - I'd always had it and very occasionally I looked at it.
Why was it a problem? I noticed in my excessive attempts to get my .NET counters going again that the DLL specified for the base counters was "donotload_mscoree.dll". This set me off on a hunt and I discovered that it was a Microsoft suggested fix to stop V1 of .NET hanging on closedown. I therefore removed the "donotload" prefix. To my surprise, on my next reboot I found it had re-appeared. After a while I tracked down the old Nvidia Monitor as the culprit and uninstalled it. After that, and a successful re-build of the counters, everything worked properly again.

I've not bothered to re-install the Nvidia Monitor to prove whether that was the cause, I'm not sure I can muster the willpower.

Dennis

#13 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, Railworks

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding the performance counters and have came to a wall. when I run findstr drivername *.ini no list appears. So what do I do next? It seems that should be a long list of drivers that need to be installed but I show nothing. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

#14 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

Skip that step and continue from "To rebuild all Performance counters including extensible and third-party counters in Windows Server 2003" which also applies to Windows Vista and later. I don't believe these versions have the drivername ini files - that was a Windows XP thing.

#15 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 15 February 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Skip that step and continue from "To rebuild all Performance counters including extensible and third-party counters in Windows Server 2003" which also applies to Windows Vista and later. I don't believe these versions have the drivername ini files - that was a Windows XP thing.

that would make sense then. Thank you I will give it a shot

#16 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

I believe I found these *.ini files in \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework (and Framework64), not System32.

Dennis

#17 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

View Postdennisat, on 16 February 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

I believe I found these *.ini files in \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework (and Framework64), not System32.

I wouldn't recommend anything not explicitly mentioned in the support document, even if they look like the "right files". AIUI, the purpose of "lodctr /R" on Windows Server 2003, Vista and later is that the command itself knows where to find and load the counter data - you almost certainly don't need to look for it yourself. :)

#18 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 15 February 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

When it rebuilds the counters it does so by restoring a backup from somewhere. Now, I still get the error in OR with the current release. I have attached my log file in hopes that it will shed some light.Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (33.28K)
Number of downloads: 145

#19 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

Presuming you did the "lodctr /R" in \Windows\System32, perhaps doing it also in \Windows\SysWOW64 (assuming a 64bit OS which is likely on Windows 7 and later) would help. If that does anything different, it would be restoring 32bit performance counter data, but maybe it'll do nothing.

#20 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

I found some other issues with the OS so I formatted the partition. I'm not sure what caused the performance counter error but I will keep track of what I do in case it pops back up Thanks James

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users