• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AI Whistle Another Brilliant Idea Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

It might be a nice addition if OR could have the whistle of AI traffic blow at crossing, or bridges. The way it might work is if a route builder had an interactive they would place a distance from a crossing and when the AI traffic ran over it it would trigger the whistle. It would need to be directionally oriented so it would only trigger the whistle while going in one direction so one would have to be placed on either side of a crossing but would only trigger the whistle before it got to the crossing and not after as well.

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

That's a nice idea Paul, Wasn't that one of the functions of the "invisiocar" - to trigger AI whistles/horns. I asked once if OR recognized them and believe the response was no. But your idea is a more sophisticated than the invisiocar work around and removes the function from invisible wagon files.

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi Gerry,

I was just thinking a lot of passing sidings are near crossings so it might be nice to be sitting there waiting for an AI train to come by and hear him blowing for a crossing as he approached.

Paul :-)

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

One thing I've noticed about whistles, the distance seems off. I was sitting at a crossing, (used the free roam camera to run ahead and wait for the player train.) I started blowing the whistle some distance away just to see at what distance I began to hear it. The train had to be quite close before the sound became apparent over the background noise. This might be route specific. This was the PRR East Reg and there's quite a lot of wind hiss in the sound track. I also had an AI train pass by at the same time, silently of course (except for track sounds) and I thought it would be a nice touch to be able to have both trains blowing their whistles.

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

Currently there are no sounds audible over 500 m distance, and they are handled in a way that every sound would nearly be silent at this distance to avoid prompt sound (dis)appearing. This limitation is because otherwise the number of sound sources to be handled at certain locations at the same time would overflow a reasonable limit. The only sound type suffering from this limitation is the horn sound, and at some day there might be a workaround for this, e.g. by identifying the horn sound source and set a different cutoff distance for that. Unfortunately this would need a large modification of the pretty well working sound framework, and I'm not currently sure this price is worth it.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 30 September 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

...I also had an AI train pass by at the same time, silently of course (except for track sounds) and I thought it would be a nice touch to be able to have both trains blowing their whistles.

I believe Stefan Paitoni is working on this.

#7 User is offline   Stefan PAITONI 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hello,
It's right, and pretty ready. It's just a question of configuration by route. I'm also working on an action that can manage the start for an AITrain.

Look forward to know when it is ready for use.

Stef

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the good information. "Large modification of the pretty well working sound framework" - If it ain't broke..... ! It's just not worth it. The overall sound in OR is really wonderful - much improved. When I started working though the trainset wagon files and replaced the defaults with some of the newer freight sounds (like those from Tiger Trains, for instance) the sounds of passing trains just got much better. Pay attention to fixing all of my sound files really helped quite a lot. (missing sounds, errors, wrong calls, replacing defaults = all this helped)

As a matter of fact, when you start hearing the whistle you can just barely see the engine. It was the route wind hiss that was playing havoc with the overall sound. This is not something wrong with OR. Another sound that I find really unrealistic (apologies to whomever developed it) is the mountain stream sound found in many of the routes. I usually delete it.

#9 User is offline   Stefan PAITONI 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Well,

For those how are quite risk-taker...
You could use the Activity editor to configure on certain route the use of Horn at level crossings.

Start the ActivityEditor
  • Go to 'Tools -> Options'
  • If not already done, configure the Paths where MSTS and the routes are, with 'Path Options'
  • close the forms with OK

Now, load the route on wich you would like to use the horn
  • Go to 'File -> Load Metadata'
  • Select the route and click 'Finish'
  • Wait a little bit, the route is loading,
  • Then, anew, go to 'Tools -> Options'
  • Last tab, 'tabPage2' (I will change this, ;) )
  • For now, only one Generic Action is available, Add it to the right list
  • (Double click to get the Action Properties: 1s < Delay < 5s and 10m < 'Required Trigger Distance < 500m)
  • Close the forms 'OK', then the close the editor.

Enjoy...

All Feedback are welcome

Stef

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users