• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter and Java 7 RR problem after Java Update Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

If you're still having Java troubles with RR ... there was an old RR tutorial on steam4me. Since the site is gone I don't know where the material might still be available. Their suggestion for a Java fix, besides making sure you have the latest Java version AND no previous versions (needs a thorough cleanup, which java.com can do for you) is that if TSUtil (the main if not only user of Java in the RR collection) won't work you copy the TSUtil classes (all the .cls files) to a 'classes' folder in the Java directory (probably in Program Files or Program Files (x86) depending on whether you have 64- or 32-bit versions). Since Java looks for its default class files there, it can then find the TSUtil classes. Ordinarily, that should not be necessary - TSUtil should normally look for its own classes in its own directory. And fwiw I haven't had any problems since fully uninstalling older RR, updating Java with a full cleaning, and reinstalling the latest RR (7626 unless there's been another update since 2013), even without doing the class-copy tweak.

#22 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

Doesn't seem to work. I recently formatted my main hdd and re-installed Win 7 64.

Installed RR last week, kept asking for Java. Installed latest Java and did the TSUtils thing as explained on Mike Simpsons RR site (FAQ's)

Route Riter still tells me Java is not installed, but never the less RR works.

#23 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostMike B, on 21 November 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

[...] there was an old RR tutorial on steam4me. Since the site is gone I don't know where the material might still be available. [...]

Try looking here: http://msts.steam4me.net/ :sign_oops:

Cheers, Markus

#24 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Never have another problem with RouteRiter and Java, no matter what version of Java you are using. (famous last words, right!)

Tonight I downloaded Java 8 (JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_25" to be technically correct) and inadvertently uninstalled my previous Java 7.

So I did what I have always done. I put a copy of the complete Java folder into the RouteRiter folder.

Into that Java folder (which I renamed to jre8) I put the "classes" folder, made as specified by the RouteRiter FAQ. The "classes" folder is made by copying the entire contents of the RouteRiter "TSUtil" folder into the empty classes folder.

Works just fine with RouteRiter, as did Java versions 6 and 7 before it. Did not have to reinstall RouteRiter to make it work with the new version of Java.

See Screenshots

Attached File(s)

#25 User is offline   elvasleis 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 15 December 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

Never have another problem with RouteRiter and Java, no matter what version of Java you are using. (famous last words, right!)

Tonight I downloaded Java 8 (JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_25" to be technically correct) and inadvertently uninstalled my previous Java 7.

So I did what I have always done. I put a copy of the complete Java folder into the RouteRiter folder.

Into that Java folder (which I renamed to jre8) I put the "classes" folder, made as specified by the RouteRiter FAQ. The "classes" folder is made by copying the entire contents of the RouteRiter "TSUtil" folder into the empty classes folder.

Works just fine with RouteRiter, as did Java versions 6 and 7 before it. Did not have to reinstall RouteRiter to make it work with the new version of Java.

See Screenshots

I just made a new thread on Java and RouteRighter and I just saw this thread.
I will read thru this thread.

#26 User is offline   Guilford309 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Going to assume Route Riter simply does not work with Windows 8.1. I have tried all these tricks, and still, it's calling for "You do not appear to have Java runtime system on your PC, this program will not run until it's fixed."

Except, Java IS installed on this PC. Java 1.6.0 to be exact, installed into the C:/Program Files/Java/Jre1.6.0
Route Riter is v7.6, installed into the C:/Route_Riter destination.

#27 User is offline   drgw 3rd division 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

All I Can Think of is Compatibility ( or lack thereof ) with Windows 8.1 The ability to Right Click the .Exe File and under Properties Click Compatibility Mode ( Windows 7, Vista, XP ) one of the many reasons I hold out, and hang onto several Legacy Machines.

#28 User is offline   Guilford309 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

I actually got it to work. Turns out, installing the latest version of Java, and copying the tsutils files into the folders as discussed about Java 6 and 7, works fine.
Finally I can get back to editing shape files that are needing small edits for use of certain equipment, such as the MEC GP38's I did.

#29 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

FWIW, Route-Riter works for me even with Java 8 ...

#30 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

View Postdrgw 3rd division, on 01 March 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

All I Can Think of is Compatibility ( or lack thereof ) with Windows 8.1 The ability to Right Click the .Exe File and under Properties Click Compatibility Mode ( Windows 7, Vista, XP ) one of the many reasons I hold out, and hang onto several Legacy Machines.

I have Windows 8.1 on both of my laptops and on both I can right click and set compatibility modes.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users