• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter and Java 7 RR problem after Java Update Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Maybe a reinstall of route riter might be in order. Afaik rr does not need java itself just the classes folder with the required files in it and it's happy. Glad you got it going. I get the runtime 9 error ever so often when I export a model and forget to actually add the hierarchy to the exporter producing a basically empty .s file. Never investigated what a runtime 9 error actually is.

#12 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

View Postjared2982, on 24 August 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Chances are RR is reading the java from the registry and because Java does not remove older versions when it updates there is probably a mess in the registry telling it to look in the wrong place. That is why your method works Rick. If you have no need for the newer version of java just reinstall the old one. You use to could download older versions from Java as well. I don't know if you still can. Chances are that you will eventually need the newer version somewhere down the road so the issue will have to be addressed at some point.

I rarely use Java and don't keep it installed unless some game or something wants it. When I'm done, I uninstall it. I understand it's a doorway to bad things on the net.
RouteRiter is another app I rarely use. Once or twice a year at most, if that.

:sign_sorry:

#13 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

This is helpful information and it appears the problem might live on, so I'm going to spike/pin this topic for easy future reference.

Cheers Bazza.

#14 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

At one time there was need to tweak registry settings for RR to use current Java. In my current system, though, with fully updated Java, it hasn't been a problem (though RR does crash randomly). When I do Java updates (which ARE worth doing, BTW, because of security issues) I always make sure older versions are gone - either by uninstalling first or by using the java.com old-version-finder tool. Perhaps aggressively managing Java to make sure there's only one version on the computer helps.

The real security issues have to do more with Java (not Javascript - a very different thing) in your browser than with Java itself (runtime for stand-alone software support), so I usually disable Java in the browser or make it an ask-every-time option (along with using NoScript) in Firefox/Pale Moon. I generally don't use web sites that require Java, but some of my stand-alone software (RR, parts of Libreoffice, for example) does need it.

#15 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hi Mike,

can you confirm that RR is working with the latest Java 8.x?

I went to the pain and registered at Oracle, in order to download version 6 for RR, but still I'm torn, as this might be a security risk.

By the way, does RR need anything else besides Java? Mabye Visual C++, Basic, C#, SQL-Sever et cetera? Or none of all that?

#16 User is offline   drgw 3rd division 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

You need to run regedit and delete the folders dealing with route riter then start route riter normally. You will see the java script screen briefly as route riter finds the new java classes and it will work fine. I never update java as a result of my own RR nightmare and alot of searching for the fix.

#17 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

I have an exe for Java 6.02 that I can zip up and upload here, it's under 900 KB. I only use it for Route-Riter, as soon as I'm done with whatever I'm doing with R-R I go through control Panel and remove Java, I don't use it for anything else. If for some reason I leave 602 installed overnight and start up the next morning, it will try to upgrade, I just say no.

Paul :-)

#18 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostAlexey_Soljenitchev, on 17 September 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi Mike,

can you confirm that RR is working with the latest Java 8.x?

I went to the pain and registered at Oracle, in order to download version 6 for RR, but still I'm torn, as this might be a security risk.

By the way, does RR need anything else besides Java? Mabye Visual C++, Basic, C#, SQL-Sever et cetera? Or none of all that?

I currently have Java 8 release 25 - and no others. I *do* have both the 32- and 64-bit flavors installed (64-bit Windows) - I assume that 32-bit software like Libreoffice and RR needs 32-bit Java.

RR is installed in my D:\trainsims root-level train simulator folder collection (MSTS and ORTS also live there), not in Program Files (X86) where it would go by default. The shortcut to it is set up to run with administrator privileges (I have to enter the password each time). Perhaps all of that helps with lack of obvious problems.

RR just ran through checks of several routes without throwing odd (not related to the route) errors. That's no guarantee that all tools will work (I'm not a route builder and don't have the need for some of that stuff) but at least the basics seem to work OK.

The only dependency previously noted for RR is Java. Those other things might be needed for other software, but not RR.

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

I have the same problem... I thought perhaps it was because I installed JAVA after Route Riter (I'm still installing software on my new PC) and so I uninstalled Route Riter and re-installed it to see if it would properly locate JAVA. It didn't... and did. There was the message saying there was no Java found but TKUtils seems to work just fine. About 80% of my use of RR is actually TKUtils so that's ok... but will that be good enough? Dunno.

#20 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

I just upgraded to java 8.25 and RR works fine.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users