• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter and Java 7 RR problem after Java Update Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Has anyone else had a problem with Route Riter after doing a Java update?

I am still running WinXP. I got a message that there was a Java update available so I clicked OK to install it. Seemed innocent enough. WRONG! :furiousPC:

The new version of Java installs itself into the folder 'Program Files\Java\jre7'. Apparently Route Riter is looking for it in 'Program Files\Java\jre6'.

Route Riter starts and gives me a message that the Java runtime module must be installed or the program won't run. The program does continue to load but when I tried to create a consist it wouldn't work. :cry1:

Anyone know if there a workaround? In the meantime, if you get a message about updating your WinXP Java, DON'T DO IT!! :yahoo:

Paul :D ( :cray:)

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

I got the same issue.
You have a PM, Paul.

:yahoo:

#3 User is offline   Dove93 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Openrails/MSTS

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

View PostGman347, on 23 August 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

The new version of Java installs itself into the folder 'Program Files\Java\jre7'. Apparently Route Riter is looking for it in 'Program Files\Java\jre6'.

I don't know if this would work or not, but have you tried making a copy of the 'Program Files\Java\jre7' folder and renaming the copied folder to 'Program Files\Java\jre6'?

#4 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

I'm not so sure that Java would work anymore if you did that. :furiousPC:

:yahoo:

#5 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

Java would still work if you just made a copy of the files and moved them to the new folder. Just don't delete thx old ones. Isn't route riter looking for just a few dll files in the classes folder? Ah yes here it was at steam4me. And a link to the page. http://msts.steam4me...iter/index.html

I would try removing all versions of Java and start from scratch.

As TsUtils is now used for all compress/uncompress operations within Route_Riter, it is imperative that a working Java setup is running on your PC. The latest version can always be downloaded from Java Manual Downloads for All Operating Sytems. Make sure you download the 'Manual Download' version as Windows XP SP2 and higher have been found to block installation of the automatic version.
From v7.0.23, Route_Riter automatically runs a java script on startup, and will advise you if Java/TsUtils are not working. At which time Route_Riter will close.

TsUtils is normally installed in the Route_Riter\TsUtils folder, but if you have installed Java and it still does not work, you should go to the Java folder, normally at c:\Program Files\Java, under which there may be several sub-folders like jre1.4.0 and jre1.6.0 - The one with the highest number is the latest version. Open this folder and you should see sub-folders bin and lib make a new folder 'classes' which will then appear between these two and copy the contents of the TsUtil folder into this new Classes folder. After which TsUtils should run OK. You may then remove all older versions of Java (they occupy about 114MB per version) using the Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs option.

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

All I did was install Java 6 again. I had an old copy of it laying around.

:oldstry:

#7 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Chances are RR is reading the java from the registry and because Java does not remove older versions when it updates there is probably a mess in the registry telling it to look in the wrong place. That is why your method works Rick. If you have no need for the newer version of java just reinstall the old one. You use to could download older versions from Java as well. I don't know if you still can. Chances are that you will eventually need the newer version somewhere down the road so the issue will have to be addressed at some point.

#8 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

You can still download a copy of java 6 from the following website.

http://www.oracle.co...ive-139210.html

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatingbullets.gif

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

My installed Java is jre7, but I do also have a folder called jre6 which has the classes folder only and RR is happy with that.

#10 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. :oldstry: I uninstalled the Java 7 and reinstalled Java 6. Route Riter is running again but I am still having few problems with the consist editor. That section of Route Riter was acting a little wierd before this Java thing came up so maybe I'm just not using it correctly. Every now and again I get a 'Runtime 9' Error "Subscript out of range".

Funny thing, yesterday I tried to get to Steam4me but my system told me the site wasn't available. I had some problems getting to some other sites too so maybe it's my ISP.

Thanks again guys. If I have any more problems I know who to ask. :)

Best,

Paul :D

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users