Elvas Tower: Steam Locomotive Rear Bogie - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive Rear Bogie Not pivoting, staying rigid with rest of the engine? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hey guys :D

I just noticed something I wanted to ask about... I was taking a few minutes to run my Frisco 1500 engines and the trailing truck (Bogie2 / rear bogie) caught my eye... Running in OR version 2417, I noticed that the trailing truck appears to be fixed rigid to the rest of the model. For these engines the trailing truck is a two wheel / single axle design, and as modeled the center of the "Bogie2" group is aligned with the z axis position of the single wheel set. This is how I've modeled other engines which have a single axle trailing truck in MSTS, and in the old sim the wheels and related trailing truck parts swing from side to side under the engine as it passes through switches and curves like they should. In Open Rails, the trailing truck wheel set is staying aligned with the centerline of the rest of the engine, even when moving through switches and curves. The lead truck, which is a 4 weel / 2 axle design is following the track correctly, and as modeled the front and rear wheel sets are equidistant in front of and behind the "Bogie1" object center.

I wondered if anyone else had noticed steam engines having a rigid trailing truck as well, or should the "Bogie2" object center be located ahead of the wheelset for correct operation in OR? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/book2.gif

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

Not looked for that in a while, but now you mention it, I can confirm that even the old default Flying Scotsman has this problem.

#3 User is offline   ccdejong46 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

I've got the same problem with many different loco's and wagons asswell with the front and rear boogies. I'm still using X2387 because the boogies are following the tracks properly in this version.

regards

CC de Jong, dutch user

#4 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

I confirm that the issue can be observed with almost all engines and wagons since revison #2414. It still exsists with #2512. It seems that:
- rear bogies are more impacted than front ones
- most vehicles in a consists are impacted
Some pictures using MSTS class50.

Revision #2512
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1590/ZP0h95.jpg

Revision #2414
http://imageshack.com/a/img742/6386/zq3Ttn.jpg

Revision #2413
http://imageshack.com/a/img745/8881/x355FI.jpg

I added those inputs to bug 1361470

Regards

#5 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

In a steam loco, with rigid base, the pivots of the bogies-bissels must be displaced form the axes. If not, is impossible tu put the engine into a curve.

Regards.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Truck, Trailing, Two Axle, Outside Frame, Solid Bearing - E.M. Shannon.jpg

#6 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

Right.
Actually I think that we may have to different issues here:
- Some bogies don't rotate anymore whatever the type of vehicle
- Trying to mimic the behavior of articulated bodies/bogies/wheels is a tough job, because we may face many different types of mechanisms, like the one you describe here!

Regards

#7 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

For every issue that gets fixed, at least one is created. If you are having problems I would like to request the locomotive and where to find it if its freeware, or the other solution is to show the part of the shape file where the parts are defined. The easiest way is to display the shape file via shape viewer and choose "view/hierarchy". This will show the naming convention and the layout of the bogies and wheels.

Edward K.

#8 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

View Postmidneguy, on 21 August 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Hey guys :clapping:

I just noticed something I wanted to ask about... I was taking a few minutes to run my Frisco 1500 engines and the trailing truck (Bogie2 / rear bogie) caught my eye... Running in OR version 2417, I noticed that the trailing truck appears to be fixed rigid to the rest of the model. For these engines the trailing truck is a two wheel / single axle design, and as modeled the center of the "Bogie2" group is aligned with the z axis position of the single wheel set. This is how I've modeled other engines which have a single axle trailing truck in MSTS, and in the old sim the wheels and related trailing truck parts swing from side to side under the engine as it passes through switches and curves like they should. In Open Rails, the trailing truck wheel set is staying aligned with the centerline of the rest of the engine, even when moving through switches and curves. The lead truck, which is a 4 weel / 2 axle design is following the track correctly, and as modeled the front and rear wheel sets are equidistant in front of and behind the "Bogie1" object center.

I wondered if anyone else had noticed steam engines having a rigid trailing truck as well, or should the "Bogie2" object center be located ahead of the wheelset for correct operation in OR? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/book2.gif

I would think a modeling person would be able to answer this, but this is what I have learned by working in this area. OR scans through the matric section top down. If the first entry is bogie1, OR will install this part or bogie, then if there are wheelsets connected to this bogie, they will be installed as part of the bogie as well. This continues on with Bogie2 and down the line. Lately, I have been coming across different naming issues which must be identified.

At first, I started with one issue, then to the next. The first issue was that any bogie with one axle never did track. The second issue was I found that bogies on articulated cars were never tracking. Both of these are now fixed along with various invisible wagon issues. This new issue will be taken care of as well.

Edward K.

#9 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Others may disagree, but from my standpoint this doesn't really need to be made overly complicated. By this I'm referring to all the different trailing truck designs and where the pivot point may be located (ahead of one or both axles, or anywhere else). The correct visual effect can be achieved by either keeping the rear pivot point for the rear bogie centered between two axles (if so equipped) or centered on a single axle if so equipped also - as long as the wheels and associated frame move side to side and rotate to stay aligned and on top of the track, anything else would really need to be looked at super close up to be noticeable.

My original speculation was the result of the some of the other discussions I had remembered seeing about 1 vs. 2 axle bogies, and I was "thinking out loud" you could say.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the hierarchy of my Frisco 1522 model for open rails. Like originally stated, the pivot point for "Bogie1" is centered between the two axles, and on "Bogie2" the pivot point is centered on the location of the single axle.

Attached Image: DM1522Hierarchy.jpg

#10 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is the mecanically correct point for the pivot of a bissel.

Regards

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Bissel.jpg

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users