Elvas Tower: Signal light glow - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal light glow Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 29 July 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Route is ATSF Glorietta Pass 2 available on TS.com. The siglight texture used is the one provided with the route, and telling of what it looks like in TGATool2A it´s might not be the default MSTS texture, but is very close to it.

It looks kinda like the signal lights are set too big, could you check the size in the sigcfg.dat and compare with a MSTS built-in route?

#22 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

SigLight radius in the Glorietta Pass sigcfg varies between 0.22 and 0.27 (roughly), while in default Marias Pass it´s always 0.11.

another route I just today experienced the issue with is the LESurroundings route (also available from TS.com), with values of 0.001, 0.21 and 0.6. The 0.001 radius gives no glow at all, in fact, the lights are almost invisible, while the others give discs comparable in size to my screenshot, or thrice that size.

Cheers, Markus

#23 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

i'm trying to convert signal lights to normal texture and small radiuses to make signal glow effect look good.
It worked, but the glow have a really strange behavior.
As i closing to the signal, the glow fades and disappears for a while, then appears again, but when the camera is very close the signal, the original signal light texture disappears, and a small glow texture appears with black borders.

Click for video
(why can't i upload it as attachment? "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file")

#24 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

AFAIK the system is set to not allow uploading videos at all, not even in the railfan video section. You can upload it at almost any other video site (e.g. Youtube), and post a link here (or use the "insert media" button to outright embed the video, which will show the video player right in your post). Settings at the sites may also allow you to set the video to only visible for those who have a link to it.

BTW, how can you get so dark a night?

Cheers, Markus

#25 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

View Postdisc, on 13 August 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

i'm trying to convert signal lights to normal texture and small radiuses to make signal glow effect look good.
It worked, but the glow have a really strange behavior.
As i closing to the signal, the glow fades and disappears for a while, then appears again, but when the camera is very close the signal, the original signal light texture disappears, and a small glow texture appears with black borders.

Click for video
(why can't i upload it as attachment? "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file")

Hmm, that's weird. (Thanks for recording a video, that was very helpful!) I think the signal light almost entirely disappearing at a medium distance (after the glow fades) is the glow drawing on top of the normal texture but blending behind it - the same as when it appears at very close range. Obviously, it should not appear at very close range so I'll have a look at that... I'm not sure why the blending isn't working right, though.

#26 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

I am finding that different siglight.ace files give different effects although I have not yet come across one that fades out and in. The best results thus far are to be had using the default ace file or a derivative of it.

My first two moves with a route with the signal glow enabled is to make sure it has a normal siglight.ace, then set all normal signal radius lines to 0.18. and those for ground signals and other smaller ones to a much smaller radius, say 0.05. This gives me visible normal signal lights at just over 2 miles line of sight, just a small blob of colour that gradually grows, but not much oversize, as it gets closer until about 500 yards at which point it shrinks to the normal lens size on the signal head. The shrinkage is more like it loses a hazy halo that developed as it came closer.

#27 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

I've used a custom 64x64 DXT3 compressed dds file for signal light, with 6 mipmaps. Radiuses are between 0.11 and 0.07.

#28 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

I wonder if it is your custom file that is causing the "blackouts" and the halo round the light in the closeup view.

#29 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

I don't think so, as what is appears when the camera is the closest isn't from that texture, but it seems that the glow effect itself activated again.

signal texture
Maybe some Z fighting? However the light fades gradually, but z fighting would cause flickering.

#30 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Have you tried converting it back to a normal ace file to see if the behaviour is the same?. If it is not then the problem is caused by the dds, or the way in which OR is processing it.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users