Elvas Tower: Signal light glow - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal light glow Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

RRDiesel87, on 29 January 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

The signal light glow is a great feature, is it possible to do the same with headlights on the locos?

That's already being discussed in this thread.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#72 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Kazareh, on 29 January 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Yes, I understand that. However my point is, is it not easier on the end user for the dev-team to edit the parameters of the Sig-Glow option, so that when enabled, signal glow does not exceed a certain radius? That is the point I am making.

I understand your point, but it's not the signal glow what you are seeing - it's the texture. The signal glow is set an intensity of the signal light, not its radius. The graphics 'translate' this intensity to a radiant light. But if the texture grows, that radiance is spread out all over that texture.
Furthermore, the processing of the texture growth is completely separate from the signal glow - the texture growth is autonomous, handled by the graphics methods. The signal glow is added in the signal processing. So it is not possible to limit the signal glow if the texture grows, as this can not be checked.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#73 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

roeter, on 29 January 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

I understand your point, but it's not the signal glow what you are seeing - it's the texture. The signal glow is set an intensity of the signal light, not its radius. The graphics 'translate' this intensity to a radiant light. But if the texture grows, that radiance is spread out all over that texture.
Furthermore, the processing of the texture growth is completely separate from the signal glow - the texture growth is autonomous, handled by the graphics methods. The signal glow is added in the signal processing. So it is not possible to limit the signal glow if the texture grows, as this can not be checked.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

OH, ok! -Now- I see, gotcha!

#74 User is offline   Haran Banjo 

• Hostler

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:21 AM

Is it possible to insert an option in the menu such as superelevation, to adjust the size of the glow of the signals?

#75 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:33 AM

You can set the intensity of the glow per signal in the sigcfg.dat file (signaltype parameters : ORTSDayGlow for glow during daylight, ORTSNightGlow for nighttime glow).
The glow has no texture and as such also no size, it just intensifies the existing texture. Reducing the glow intensity will make the glow look smaller.
If I'm not mistaken the default values are mentioned in the manual.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#76 User is offline   Haran Banjo 

• Hostler

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:16 AM

I can't find the option in the sigcfg.dat file, to be able to change this aspect of the signals

#77 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:50 AM

If you have never yet set glow variables you will indeed not find these - these are not set by default.
This is what you need to set for all signaltypes for which you want to change the intensity of the glow :

SignalType ( "NF_A_HOMEJN_TOP"
		SignalFnType ( NORMAL )
		SignalLightTex ( "ltex" )
		ORTSScript ( NF_HOMEJN_TOP )
		ORTSDayglow( 6.5 )
		ORTSNightglow( 5.0 )

SignalLights ( 4

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#78 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 July 2022 - 01:44 PM

Hello, I hate to bring up an old subject, but I am reading here and see a lot of reference to MLT "SigView" etc. I am running Niagara Corridor in Open Rails, and after just adding a few scenery objects I suddenly have the essence of SigView or the OR version of Signal-Glow! I never touched or came near any signals or files of that sort. Just using TSRE5 Route Editor to place some scenery objects. Yesterday when I was running there was no Signal Glow, noiw today after adding the scenery objects I have this. I find it annoying, although some seem to like it, I do NO. It is not checked in the OR EXP Tab, so how can I get rid of it? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, MLT did a good job on this route, although dated now, it still provides me with some satisfactiob running and adding scenery to it.

#79 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:46 PM

Image?

I assume you mean the signal glows are massive because the signals are set up to use SigView textures. This comes about because the radius of the 'lights' in SigView equipped systems is often over a meter, whereas the radius of the actual signal lens is only about 10cm. If that is so, find a non-SigView light texture (any of mine would work for this), and then open your sigcfg file (make a backup first) and change the 'Radius ( x )' to read 'Radius ( 0.1 )' for all signal types. The Replace tool in most text editors will work for this

#80 User is offline   GTADon 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:19 AM

Thank you for pointing that out so clearly. I have changed them and will see how well it worked later today.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you Mr. Travis, it worked a charm. I never realized that I could edit that way in NotePad, learned something new. Even as we age we have to keep learning. Sometimes we just need a little nudge, like you gave me, to experience and learn something new.

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users