Elvas Tower: Signal light glow - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal light glow Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

yes, there is a fix. Lower the size of the signal light in sigcfg. (need to crop the light texture too)

#42 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

I would not consider this a fix as such. In MSTS, the display of such textures, with the settings I currently have, works fine. In ORTS it doesn´t.

I understand, that ORTS cannot completely mimick MSTS, and that this is a feature MSTS didn´t even really have in this form - tricking it into signal light "glow" was done using special textures and light size settings. But it worked.

Anyway, :pleasantry: for your comment :)

Cheers, Markus

#43 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 14 September 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

Has there yet been found a fix for non-default light textures producing those huge glow "discs"?

No, that is caused by the "tick" used to make signal lights glow in MSTS. It continues to work in OR by default. An alternative is to use normal signal lights and enable the OR option for glow - this is preferred as it doesn't involve the content being deliberately wrong. Using both the MSTS trick and the OR option is doubling-up the same effect and should not be expected to work, sorry.

#44 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

You´re right, without light glow turned on it (used to - IDK if that has changed in the last 3 weeks) worked somewhat like in MSTS, though the effect was not that pronounced and also had one, sometimes two "jumps" as one got closer.

Anyway, I´ll obviously have to go learn how to edit those sigcfgs again :pleasantry:

Cheers, Markus

#45 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

The use of non standard siglight ace files and the associated amendments to the sigcfg.dat file were developed to fill a perceived need for signals to be seen a long way out. The whole collectively referred to as "MLT technology". I did try it and dropped it as it has some not so nice side effects with the alpha surrounding the central light texture. The advent of signal light glow in OR has removed the need for these non standard ace files and the associated sigcfg.dat amendments.

In fact, with a standard siglight ace, a light diameter of 0.18 and the glow enabled, I can see a signal at night in direct line of sight from well over 3 miles away. Very very small, but it is there and visible. In daylight this distance comes down to just over two miles.

#46 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

Have not read the whole thread so probably this has been remarked upon, I'll post the screenshots, they are self-explanatory - too much glow from a distance. Dwarf signal light glow is too much at a distance. [ORX2500] I think it is set at maximum conflagration! :sign_sorry: Require any more info, let me know.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: siglight.jpg
  • Attached Image: siglight_close.jpg
  • Attached Image: siglight_glow.jpg

#47 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:47 AM

With signal glow enabled, the end result is all down the ace file used and the diameter of each signal type in the sigcfg.dat.

#48 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 20 September 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Have not read the whole thread so probably this has been remarked upon, I'll post the screenshots, they are self-explanatory - too much glow from a distance. Dwarf signal light glow is too much at a distance. [ORX2500] I think it is set at maximum conflagration! ;) Require any more info, let me know.

All signal lights expand by the same proportions, so the final size of the glow is only variable by the size of the light in sigcfg.dat. Dwarf signal lights may need to be "dimmer" than their size indicates, but we don't have that control yet.

#49 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 22 September 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

All signal lights expand by the same proportions, so the final size of the glow is only variable by the size of the light in sigcfg.dat. Dwarf signal lights may need to be "dimmer" than their size indicates, but we don't have that control yet.

Thanks James for that clarification, also to copperpen. Then I'll either "switch off" that experimental option for routes with these or adj dia. manually until control is implemented.

#50 User is offline   mauried 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Would it be possible to turn on the signal glow for semaphores during the day.
I understamd why it isnt , but some of the variety of semaphores , especially disc signals
are physically small and hard to see until you are really close to them.
Other types like Upper Quadrants with 3 arms can be hard to see , as the 3rd arm is smaller and shorter
than the main arms.
Semaphores normally are lit during the day, so I cant see any downside in being able to see the lights.
Thanks.

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users