Elvas Tower: Signal light glow - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal light glow Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

markus_GE, on 30 June 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

MLT sometime ago developed what they call the "Sigview technology". It´s an improved siglight texture with lots of "empty space around the actual light, that is filled with color the farther the signal is away. You need to use a siglight radius of 1.04 with it.

I converted all my routes to this siglight texture, so am I going to have problems?

If you enable the signal light glow, yes.

I think all we really need to do to make the signal light glow work with this "trick" is the original light size (or a scaling factor), but it also doesn't really make sense keeping the special texture.

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

Running the 3DTS Tehachapi with a signal light radius of 0.3 and glow light turned on I can see signals out to at least 1.5 miles on straight track, probably the same for curved track as long as no scenery items block the view. The glow is definitely larger than the signal light itself at a distance, but not overwhelming. A big improvement over the old MLT technology.

#13 User is offline   Buttercup 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

The correct radius for signals using the MLT siglight.ace was the signals original radius times 8.67. To covert the radius back to the original size you need to divide the current radius by 8.67. and use the original MSTS siglight.ace. Lots of info over at trainsim.

#14 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

So, James, you suggest converting all routes back to MSTS standard lights, no matter if these were there originally or not?

Cheers, marksu

#15 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

markus_GE, on 01 July 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

So, James, you suggest converting all routes back to MSTS standard lights, no matter if these were there originally or not?

I would avoid making any wide changes just yet, as we're still developing this feature. We may yet be able to identify these lights and correct for it.

If you want to test it out, though, you should set the signals up with textures and sizes that are realistic and not the "trick" ones - the MSTS standard lights would work.

#16 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have experimented with the signal light radius using the 3DTS Tehachapi. With the default figure of 0.11 the light is not visible until under a mile away, a radius of 0.2 is visible at 1.5 miles, it is not big at that distance, more like a coloured star on the horizon. I have tested using both the default siglight.ace and the 3DTS version, both give the same visual performance.

As the experiment stands now, a radius of 0.2 should be ok for colour lights and 0.11 should be ok for semaphores.

#17 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

copperpen, on 01 July 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

With the default figure of 0.11 the light is not visible until under a mile away, a radius of 0.2 is visible at 1.5 miles, it is not big at that distance, more like a coloured star on the horizon.

Speaking of visibility, if anyone knows of some real-life data on this (I'm sure it exists), e.g. for a light of X size and Y intensity, it is visible up to Z metres away (or an intensity curve over distance). I think we're in the right sort of ball-park for the signal light glow but some data to back it up would be fantastic. :oldstry:

#18 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

James Ross, on 01 July 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

I would avoid making any wide changes just yet, as we're still developing this feature. We may yet be able to identify these lights and correct for it.

If you want to test it out, though, you should set the signals up with textures and sizes that are realistic and not the "trick" ones - the MSTS standard lights would work.

It won´t be to hard to revert to standard MSTS lights on most routes, since I backed up the original configs. But leaving it as it is now will definitely be a lot better :oldstry:

Cheers, Markus

#19 User is offline   trainagrandevitesse 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Bonsoir, :)

Pensez-vous qu'il sera possible d'avoir la même lueur sur les feux des trains? Ca ferait un vrai plus!

Hello,
Do you think it is possible to have the same glow of the lamps trains? It would make a better true! ;)

Good bye

Jean-Prisca :)

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

IDK what the current state of this feature is, but in X2360 I get the following with siglightglow turned on:

Attached Image: SignalGlow1.jpg
Viewed from a distance of a guesstimated 150 meters to the closest signal.

Attached Image: SignalGlow2.jpg
Having approached to some 70 meters.

As you can see, the glow looks OK for maybe 200m, but it doesn´t really start to diinish until about 100m to the signal, which can look a little odd, IMHO. The question is now, however, if it is intentional that way, or just a side effect of the feature still being developed, or if it has to do with the texture, or... - you get the point.

Route is ATSF Glorietta Pass 2 available on TS.com. The siglight texture used is the one provided with the route, and telling of what it looks like in TGATool2A it´s might not be the default MSTS texture, but is very close to it.

Cheers, Markus

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users