• You cannot reply to this topic

OR Mileposts Am I Missing Something Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a bug or just something I'm missing.

I'm running the DAR in X2194 and do not see any of the route's mileposts showing up in the track monitor... maybe I've just missed turning something on? I did try to search for this but nothing came up, sorry if it's out there somewhere already.

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Bug already raised on that one.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

charland, on 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a bug or just something I'm missing.

I'm running the DAR in X2194 and do not see any of the route's mileposts showing up in the track monitor... maybe I've just missed turning something on? I did try to search for this but nothing came up, sorry if it's out there somewhere already.

In fact, mile posts have never been shown in ORTS' track monitor, AFAICT. If they were ever shown, it must have been introduced quite recently.

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

OK, thanks, didn't know if it was something that I was doing wrong or not.

#5 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

Walter Conklin, on 10 June 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hello,

It would be very helpful for virtual train engineers and route builders if the OR track monitor eventually recognized and displayed milepost locations. Perhaps the milepost locations could go where the "Dist" column is now in the track monitor and the milepost locations could get displayed where the miles and green lines column is currently.

Yes Walter, indeed it would... one can hope that the team take note...

Timothy

- | -

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hello,

It would be very helpful for virtual train engineers and route builders if the OR track monitor eventually recognized and displayed milepost locations. Perhaps the milepost locations could go where the "Dist" column is now in the track monitor and the milepost locations could get displayed where the miles and green lines column is currently.

Yes sir, another yes vote here.

#7 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Perhaps the milepost locations could go where the "Dist" column is now in the track monitor and the milepost locations could get displayed where the miles and green lines column is currently.

This discussion about the layout makes me thinking on what the real-life counterparts are of our track monitor. Is there anything similar available in North-American locomotives, or somewhere else in the world? I know at least one similar display: the ETCS interface's "Planning Area", something like this: planning area
http://www.humanefficiency.nl/etcs/pictures/planning_area_only.jpg
It has a logarithmic distance scale, a static speed profile, level grade indication and small icons of the objects ahead. If we are going to change the track monitor layout, it might be good to move towards something "real", rather than keeping the current fictitious one. After all we are building a simulator.

#8 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi Peter - hmmm... I'm not sure about this at all. I know High Speed Trains like the TGV and ICE need provision of information to the on-train or remote rail-engineer. The rail-engineer cannot see far enough ahead to stop the train in time to avoid a collision with something on the line so relies on remote stationary or satellite cameras. Some people like HST, but I suspect a majority like to operate the cab of an old timer train. So an easy-to-read simple F4 track monitor with only frequently seen so easy-to-recognise graphics is preferable. One that handles either kph or mph, it might have additional features that can be turned on when switching in a railyard or large station.

Timothy
- | -

#9 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

gpz, on 11 June 2014 - 02:25 AM, said:

This discussion about the layout makes me thinking on what the real-life counterparts are of our track monitor. Is there anything similar available in North-American locomotives, or somewhere else in the world? I know at least one similar display: the ETCS interface's "Planning Area", something like this: planning area
http://www.humanefficiency.nl/etcs/pictures/planning_area_only.jpg
It has a logarithmic distance scale, a static speed profile, level grade indication and small icons of the objects ahead. If we are going to change the track monitor layout, it might be good to move towards something "real", rather than keeping the current fictitious one. After all we are building a simulator.

This is interesting. It actually reflects a number of ideas I am including in the new UI (grade changes, for example). I suppose it makes sense, but I did not expect a full 'track monitor' like system to be defined. Anyway, like the speed gauge, these will serve as inputs in to the design process and may not be followed exactly.

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

But there is no indication of the current route mileposts in this example, Peter.

On I side note, yes, it is a simulator, but why should we have driver aids that are not part of the cabview but that are modeled to reflect a real thing, specific (in this case) only to Europe? Personally, I´d rather go for something they way we have it now, generic and applicable to every route, no matter where it is located. Just with the indication of the currently next few mileposts added, to what we have now.

Cheers, Markus

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users