• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tourist Railroads! Part 2 Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   RailfanML 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

I see a new thread has started in the name of tourist and preserved railroading...I guess I'll chime in. This is a long overdue list of my equipment and where it is located. Although inactive here, I still fire up a tourist train in MSTS every so often and still have many trains to run in that category. The operations I run are as follows:

MONON SOUTHERN RAILROAD (MSRX)
Preserved Monon railroad branch line running between French Lick and Orleans, IN. Uses preserved Monon passenger equipment and diesels. Also offers trips to Chicago on selected weekends using a complete Monon streamlined passenger consist.

QUEBEC CENTRAL RAILROAD (QECX)
My newest operation running between Quebec City and Clermont, QC. Freight operations and passenger excursions are offered over this 90-mile railroad.

"NKPX"
The wing of my operation that preserves and operates Nickel Plate Road equipment on the LaSalle, Rockford and Central Railroad.

In addition to these operations, I also play a role in the operations of LSRC's passenger department. I am also looking to reestablish passenger operations over the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad.

Now, those familiar with my previous endeavors might remember some of these old trains, but to the uninitiated, my personal preserved railroad equipment, operating under the name of Historic Railroad Enterprises and our sister company, Summit Locomotive Works. Some new things have been added, and others have been reclassified/updated to reflect current models available.

HISTORIC RAILROAD ENTERPRISES EQUIPMENT ROSTER AND SHOP LOCATIONS

MARIETTA, OHIO
2-8-4 757 (ex-NKP)Stored.
2-8-0 1956 (ex-Ohio Midland) Operational, stored serviceable.
2-8-0 6071 (ex-M&WV) Operational, stored serviceable in W&LE livery.
2-8-0s 1907, 1932, 1948 (all ex-Ohio Midland) Stored out of service.
2-8-0 2519 (ex-C&N) Under rebuild.
4-6-2 1746 (ex-Midland Valley) Operational, stored serviceable.
4-6-2 5305 (ex-B&O) Stored, pending rebuild.
4-6-2 2712 (ex-CP) Under rebuild.

C420 41 & 42 (ex-LV) Operational.
RS3 104 (ex-AMTK) Stored out of service.
RS11 1107 (ex-N&W) Operational.
3 ex-CP RS18s Stored out of service.

FERNDALE, OR (Location of Summit Locomotive Works.)
4-8-2 177 (ex-WP) Under rebuild, former MRLX 447.
4-8-2 3700 (ex-AT&SF) Stored out of service.
4-8-4 701 (ex-SP&S) Operational, stored serviceable.
2-8-0 2013 (New build, HREX/SLWX) Operational.

ROCKFORD, IL
2-8-0 934 (ex-M&WV) Operational, stored serviceable in NKP livery.
2-8-2 100 (LSRC) Operational.
4-6-4 6444 (ex-NYC) Stored out of service.

C420 2578 (ex-NKP) Stored serviceable.
SD7 357 (ex-NKP) Operational, stored serviceable.
S2 39 (ex-NKP) Operational, Rockford shop switcher.

LAFAYETTE, IN
F7A 4211, 4223, 4237, 4241 (ex-SOU/C&O/B&O/WAB)Operational, stored serviceable.
F7B 4398, 4399, 4400 (ex-C&O) Operational, stored serviceable.
E8A 1000 & 1001 (ex-UP) Operational.
F40PH 365, 378 (ex-AMTK) Stored, pending rebuild.

All passenger stock is stored serviceable at Marietta, OH and Lafayette, IN.

Total steam locomotives: 14 (16 including LSRC locomotives.)
Total diesel locomotives: 21
Total locomotives: 35

Great screenshots to everyone who has shared. The original thread was a wild ride, and I hope that the interest of preserved railroading can maintained in this one. I hope to share some screenshots at a later date, but now, there are trains to run. Jimmy and Dustin, I pass the torch of maintaining these threads to you.

#22 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hey, Mike, good to see you back! We made this because the old thread just got too long. I'm happy you're letting Jimmy and I maintain this thread. Good luck with your work toward a real tourist railroad. Feel free to post some photos from the CVSR if you've taken any. I'd love to take a peek into your job.

#23 User is offline   bwyrick 

• Conductor

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Due to my impending move to Mount Shasta, I've decided to start up a new fictional short line. I'm still working out the details, but I do know this: it's going to be called the Shasta Northern (AAR: SNO), and will run from Dunsmuir north along the Shasta Route into Oregon, at least past K Falls, with the branch to McCloud over the old McCloud Railroad. Proposed power will be ex-SP GP38-2s and other GP9s for freight service, and possibly PAs for passenger trains. I'm planning on either acquiring more, or transferring some ex-Shasta Daylight coaches from the MSVR. Other equipment to be determined once I get back to Salinas.

#24 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

I also had a Shasta thing once.

#25 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Not much of an update, just a quick SFM screenshot as to what's been going on with my tourist road. More to come over the summer, I'm actually mapping out a coherent story-line about it.

Attached Image: VLPR_Prairie.jpg

#26 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Nice paintjob! Always did like that little 2-6-2: besides M&URR No. 5 I think it's my favorite engine currently installed.

Good luck on your new venture Brody: is it going to be diesel only though? I seem to recall you saying you had a GS-6 laying about somewhere (speaking of which I need to come up with a good excuse to get my grubby mitts on one of those...hmm...)why not send her up there to work the Shasta Daylight every now and again?

#27 User is offline   bwyrick 

• Conductor

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

I may run with some steam. I have 4460 sitting down in LA getting ready to head out on a trip. I may find some other steam engine (maybe a Willamette) to work some of the trains though. I was able to secure a pair of PAs that were hidden away in a barn somewhere in Nebraska. They're en route to Oakland to get some repairs done, engine overhauls, fresh traction motors, and everything else basically just needs to be cleaned up. The engines ran when we found them, but they were very rough. Couldn't move though, as all 6 traction motors in each loco were frozen, so we temporarily put idler axles in there for the time being. We're still looking for a B unit though to go with these, so if anyone knows where to find one, we'll be golden! Doesn't have to be running, heck, it could even pretty much just be a shell, but as long as it has trucks, frame, carbody, etc., and at least you can tell it was a PB at one time before being gutted, we can make it work out.

#28 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 13 June 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

Not much of an update, just a quick SFM screenshot as to what's been going on with my tourist road. More to come over the summer, I'm actually mapping out a coherent story-line about it.

Attachment VLPR_Prairie.jpg

Feel free to fill us in on your story. That 2-6-2 looks a little blue and could use a bit of HSL work to make her blacker, but otherwise, she looks great.

#29 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

View Postbwyrick, on 15 June 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I may run with some steam. I have 4460 sitting down in LA getting ready to head out on a trip. I may find some other steam engine (maybe a Willamette) to work some of the trains though. I was able to secure a pair of PAs that were hidden away in a barn somewhere in Nebraska. They're en route to Oakland to get some repairs done, engine overhauls, fresh traction motors, and everything else basically just needs to be cleaned up. The engines ran when we found them, but they were very rough. Couldn't move though, as all 6 traction motors in each loco were frozen, so we temporarily put idler axles in there for the time being. We're still looking for a B unit though to go with these, so if anyone knows where to find one, we'll be golden! Doesn't have to be running, heck, it could even pretty much just be a shell, but as long as it has trucks, frame, carbody, etc., and at least you can tell it was a PB at one time before being gutted, we can make it work out.

Nice work there! I'll keep my ear to the proverbial rail for you guys about a PB....but I suspect I may have to grab it for MKTG, since we don't have a PA unit ourselves! We have just about every other bloody ALCo ever made, but of course not the fabled PA....*grumbles to himself*

We've been talking with Mr. Hjellum about possibly running a joint streamliner over the combined, former NWPRR from Oakland/Salsalito to Eureka and back again, to tap in to the vacation/tourist market on the north end of the line (which is the portion MKTG owns). It's very early in the planning stages, so much so that it's more of a "Hey, this might be a neat idea..." than anything else. Oddly enough this is the perfect job for a PA (and what has been causing me to bemoan the fact we don't even have one) or even a good medium-to-heavy sized steam loco: maybe we'll think about that once 4352 gets back from her overhaul though, but it will depend on whether 3802 can stay or not. Though quite frankly, although she's been doing good work over the roughly two months 4352 has been away, she's been having trouble in the canyons: it seems that, while a massive 4-8-2 can take the curves, if you swap one the pilot wheel pairs for an extra driving wheel pair, suddenly the track doesn't like you so much. 3802 can do it it's just we're worried she's damaging the trackwork: she actually went on the ground at Thousand Island on her first run solo on the Eel River Daylight, which has caused us to put a 20mph speed limit on her in the tighter sections of the river valley. (and yes, I'll post pictures of all this at some point...).

#30 User is offline   CC&C #15 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hey y'all, I'm back with a brand new update on the PNWSR as well as a couple photos.

On the 18th the PNWSR officially kicked off its 2014 operating season, and they kicked it off in style by running a triple header steam train consisting of an NP L5 donated by a private owner, Rayonier #14, SP&S #539 all the way from Chehalis to my hometown of Rochester.

Attached Image: WSTM special.png
Outskirts of Chehalis.

This was followed by a diesel triple header consisting of BN F7A #738 donated by a private owner, a GN E8A, and a BN F45.

Attached Image: WSTM special 2.png
Near Maytown.

As of June 23rd (My birthday), the PNWSR is merging with the Washington State Transportation Museum in order to provide a new area of Washington State history, and to keep and maintain the locomotives and rolling stock in the PNWSR's collection.

The PNWSR will keep its name and continue to be operated by PNWSR crewmen, but will be owned by the WSTM which, currently, has no appreciable amount of railroad equipment, and none of it operable.

Additionally, the PNWSR is in negotiations with the Puget Sound and Pacific RR and BNSF to use sections of their lines in exchange for help with running branchline freights through them on occasion, so there might be some more railfanning opportunities in the area soon.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users