Timetable concept Alternative way to define running of trains

#21 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:07 AM

View Postroeter, on 25 May 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

These are the required steps :
  • Create a spreadsheet file (e.g. using Excel or something similar) - anywhere.
  • Save the contents of this spreadsheet as *.csv (should be an option in the spreadsheet program).
    Use either comma or semi-colon as separator.
  • Rename or copy the *.csv file to *.timetable_or (e.g. : ttfile.csv to ttfile.timetable_or).
  • Create a subdirectory "OpenRails" in the "Activities" directory of the required route.
  • Place the *.timetable_or file in the OpenRails subdirectory as created above.
  • And saving about a thousands words to describe it :
    Attachment TT_example.png

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Thank you very much, Rob! Now I understand it perfectly. :oldstry: I've managed to make it work, but of course, I have missing paths and locos and consists so it kinda appears weird to me. (I mean, the file you've attached for Superliner 2).
I'm going to try to figure out to re-work the .csv file for another route with consists I have. :good:
Again, thanks, this is a very interesting mode of running trains!

#22 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

I've managed to make it work, but of course, I have missing paths and locos and consists so it kinda appears weird to me. (I mean, the file you've attached for Superliner 2).

Sorry - I'm afraid I can't help you there.
The paths I created are of no use to anyone else as I have been tinkering with the route (as ever) - nothing to do with the timetable, it was done a long time ago to give the San Diego trams something to do.
As for consists - that's even more difficult, as I have my own naming system for all rolling stock, and also have collected all US-related stock in one directory regardless of its origin - original MSTS, trains from payware or freeware routes, individual payware and freeware downloads - it's all in there, renamed, and often its origin is completely lost.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#23 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

View Postroeter, on 26 May 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

Sorry - I'm afraid I can't help you there.
The paths I created are of no use to anyone else as I have been tinkering with the route (as ever) - nothing to do with the timetable, it was done a long time ago to give the San Diego trams something to do.
As for consists - that's even more difficult, as I have my own naming system for all rolling stock, and also have collected all US-related stock in one directory regardless of its origin - original MSTS, trains from payware or freeware routes, individual payware and freeware downloads - it's all in there, renamed, and often its origin is completely lost.

This is quite unfortunate. Is there any possibility of you creating a timetable for a well-known (or even in-box) route with "typical" content requirements, so that we actually have an example people can try?

#24 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

If you take about an hour and really carefully read Rob´s documentation PDF, you will easily be able to at least change the consists (actually, after having taken 20 minutes to read it, I feel confident I could do that). With the paths, it will be a little harder to do that, since most names don't look too descriptive of from where to where they run... Maybe, if you used a naming scheme, Rob, telling us that might help.

Anyway, I got one or the other question I will keep posting when I go through the documentation once again (only once read through it and haven't yet figured out completely how some things work together).

Anyway, one question now already:

/out_path=<path> : <path> is the path to be used by the train to move out to the 'stable' position. The start of the path must match the end of the path of the incoming train.
[...]
/in_path=<path> : <path> is the path to be used by the train for the inward run from the 'stable' position to the start of the new train. The start of the path must match the end of the out_path, the end of the path must match the start of the path for the new train.

The above was taken from the documentation of the stable command. You state that start and end points of the different paths used must match one another. What do you mean by match (be located within the same platform / signal block, or be simply close together)? If the latter, how exactly must they match?

After reading the documentation and taking a look at your sample, it doesn´t seem too hard to create a timetable one one´s own. I definitely am seeing this as a whole new opportunity to get new and more "life" into trainsimming, and am eager to try it out as soon as I can manage to (side note: graduation time for me currently ...). A whole lot of work must have gone into making this work, and a simple :oldstry: is by far not enough to express how I feel about this!

Cheers, Markus

PS: I know exact station names can more or less easily be retrieved from a route´s TDB file, anyway, on large routes, this might be a little bit complicated. Are you planning to once write a timetable editor to cope with that and various other more difficult aspects of the timetables? (I know this will be way in the future, if at all. It is just that while imagining a few things while reading the documentation, one or the other idea came to my mind how timetable creation could be facilitated).

#25 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

I agree with an earlier post; this development really is a game-changer. Further, I have no reason to believe that any existing issues will not be resolved over time.

As time permits, I will be using Amtrak timetables to generate an Excel spreadsheet that I would like to use with the NEC4 route that runs from Philadelphia to Wsahington, DC. One of the fascinating aspects of this section of the Northeast Corridor is the presence of NS and CSX freight trains. Though these trains are generally restricted to night runs to avoid the daytime passenger traffic, occasional problems on the freight lines will result in daylight appearances of various types freight traffic in competition with passenger trains.

As I understand it, the Excel timetable would include the passenger trains (based on arrival times at the various stations along the line). Perhaps I am wrong, but I would imagine that freight trains, although not generally scheduled, would have to be included in the Excel timetable (?). However, if one wanted to alter the freight train times, this could be accomplished simply by modufying the Excel timetable. Perhaps I am wrong here. Also, the freight train(s) would also require a path with passing paths. Regarding the latter, it seems that all trains (passenger and freight) would require passing paths (?) though, obviously, the passenger trains would need to have access to station platforms.

One of the issues that I am not certain about concerns the nature of starting and ending points for the freight train. There are a few locations where NS freight trains could enter the NEC (e.g., the connection of the Port Road Branch from Harrisburg, PA, with the NEC at CP Perry). Perhaps a more significant issue (perhaps something to be addressed in the future) is a system of priotizing trains. Freights are lowest of the food chain. In fact, they may wait hours to move during rush hour (we want to try to aovid this in an activity). You certainly wouldn't want to hold a Boston - Washington DC passenger train for a 120-car empty coal train.

Perhaps the best way to start something like this is with a small number of passenger trains. More and more can be added as one becomes more familier with the concept and any timing issues are worked out. The freight trains would be the last to be added.

If nothing else, it will be a learning experience.

Many thanks to Rob for all of the effort put into this latest and very welcome development.

Gary

#26 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

A suggestion:
Use the route PRR Eastern that includes NEC4 and much much more.

Cheers.

RTP.

#27 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

It would be nice if we have "compiled" example for a default, or easy to install, free route and rolling stock.
On default NEC there is room to make much traffic.

#28 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the various comments etc.

Some answers :

Do you own a copy of the SWB route? if so I can attach the timetable and paths for your perusal.

I haven't got that route as yet - but there's always room for one more.
What and where is it?

You state that start and end points of the different paths used must match one another. What do you mean by match (be located within the same platform / signal block, or be simply close together)? If the latter, how exactly must they match?

Begin and end need to be in the same signal block, or section between switch nodes if there are no signals.
When placing multiple trains on a single siding which may be split by signals or switches, it is best to run all paths through to the end (both ending and starting paths) - if the train is set behind other trains the system can work out the required actual start and stop position.
The same goes for 'runround' path - no need to carefully start or end this in front of the train, starting and ending anywhere on that section will do nicely.

PS: I know exact station names can more or less easily be retrieved from a route´s TDB file, anyway, on large routes, this might be a little bit complicated. Are you planning to once write a timetable editor to cope with that and various other more difficult aspects of the timetables? (I know this will be way in the future, if at all. It is just that while imagining a few things while reading the documentation, one or the other idea came to my mind how timetable creation could be facilitated).

Presently, only stations (platforms) can be set as timing points.
However, the idea is to generate a new 'path' tool which can create 'locations' anywhere in a route. A 'location' can be a station, siding, yard etc., but also just a signal or a stretch of track.
An additional function of that tool might be the generation of a full 'location' list.
A full timetable editor is not on the cards, really - that would come close to building one's own spreadsheet tool.

As time permits, I will be using Amtrak timetables to generate an Excel spreadsheet that I would like to use with the NEC4 route that runs from Philadelphia to Wsahington, DC. One of the fascinating aspects of this section of the Northeast Corridor is the presence of NS and CSX freight trains. Though these trains are generally restricted to night runs to avoid the daytime passenger traffic, occasional problems on the freight lines will result in daylight appearances of various types freight traffic in competition with passenger trains.

Sounds a good idea. Let me know if you have any questions or need a bit of help to get going.

As I understand it, the Excel timetable would include the passenger trains (based on arrival times at the various stations along the line). Perhaps I am wrong, but I would imagine that freight trains, although not generally scheduled, would have to be included in the Excel timetable (?).

Yes, freight trains would go in there as well. They would have a starttime, but do not need any intermediate timings.
At present, all trains must be defined in a single spreadsheet. The intention is, however, to make it possible to use multiple files. In that situation, you could put the freight trains in a separate file.

However, if one wanted to alter the freight train times, this could be accomplished simply by modufying the Excel timetable. Perhaps I am wrong here.

Yes, just change the starttime, consist or path and you have a different freight.

Also, the freight train(s) would also require a path with passing paths. Regarding the latter, it seems that all trains (passenger and freight) would require passing paths (?) though, obviously, the passenger trains would need to have access to station platforms.

Passing paths only work for trains in opposite directions (it is part of the 'deadlock' processing). It does not work to allow trains to overtake. As most of this route is double track, there is no need for passing paths. But you may have to set up some paths of the freight trains through loops or 'slow' lines if passenger trains must be allowed to overtake them.

One of the issues that I am not certain about concerns the nature of starting and ending points for the freight train. There are a few locations where NS freight trains could enter the NEC (e.g., the connection of the Port Road Branch from Harrisburg, PA, with the NEC at CP Perry).

That's just all in the paths for the freight trains - no real difference there between timetables and activities.
Start and end points of paths need not be any of the stations. Trains - both freight and passenger - can start and anywhere on the route; the station times are only used to ensure trains run to their booked times.

Perhaps a more significant issue (perhaps something to be addressed in the future) is a system of priotizing trains. Freights are lowest of the food chain. In fact, they may wait hours to move during rush hour (we want to try to aovid this in an activity). You certainly wouldn't want to hold a Boston - Washington DC passenger train for a 120-car empty coal train.

Real priority selection would require a major rework of the 'section reservation' logic, and is not on the list for a fair time to come.
However, if you have some idea of the timing of the freight trains with relation to the passenger trains running in the same direction, you can use the 'follow' command to make sure the freight trains give priority to those passenger trains.
Because the freight trains have no stops and might not pass through platforms, you would need to define that at the 'top' of the column (in the 'note' row).
Another option you might consider is to 'split' freight trains, making them run parts of the route between yards or sidings. Using the 'form' command, you can still set this up as a single through freight working. It would, however, allow freight trains to shift from following one passenger train to following the next one. Perhaps not waiting for hours (even though that would be quite possible, specifically if split in 'portions' as suggested), but it would allow the freight trains to be overtaken.
Another option, but more difficult to arrange, is using the 'waitany' command, using a fairly long path backward from a yard or siding exit, which would force the freight train to wait for any approaching passenger train.

Finally a bit of help for those who want to get started.
Attached is the most 'basic' timetable : just one train, no stops defined.
Choose any route, select a train you now run in an activity, set its consist and path in the appropriate fields, add a name and starttime - and you have a timetable.
From that on you can build it up slowly : add another train or trains, e.g. in opposite direction. Then add stations and stops etc.
Attached File  EmptyBasicTimetable.zip (3.76K)
Number of downloads: 867

Another bit of advice : it can be very useful to include an 'observer' in the timetable. This is a train which just has a very short path in a siding somewhere where no other train will ever come. You can use this 'observer' to check on everything that goes on. Just select the observer as player train, and use camera 8, the F5 dispatcher Hud or the dispatch window to check on what happens and, for instance, which trains are causing a blockage. In contrast to an activity, you do not need to create a complete new timetable to use such an observer. And you can simply change the starttime if you want to check trains at other times in the day, or set a different path if the problem is in another location. The ultimate test is to start the observer at 23:59 - and check all trains have reached their destination.
I've sorted all problems for the Surfliner timetable (and there were plenty!) not by running any trains but by using such an observer until everything ran to the end of the day. Only then could I really start to run trains.
And, admittedly, 'virtual train spotting' at LA Union Station during the rush hour was actually quite interesting.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#29 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

Your suggestion in the last paragraph is an excellent idea, Rob! Oh man, am I looking forward to having the time to try this out :)

RE timetable editor: The idea would have been that a comma / semicolon separated CSV file can´t be that hard to write from a program. Thus, one would have a stripped-down CSV editor hidden behind a user interface that lets you select different views (whole timetable, stations / locations per train, trains per station / location) with additional ORTS-timetable-specific functions, such as "Manage paths" (select an existing path or open ORTS Trackviewer to create a path for a train), "Manage Trains" (select an existing train or open a (yet to be written) consist creation tool), and "Manage location" (add / remove). In fact, some basic CSV editing would be required (reading, processing into internal format, processing to CSV format, writing) but the interface and usability would be much more user-friendly, allowing trains for e.g. forms to be specified by clicking on a list item and what not.

I see, if at all, this is way, way, way in the future, or maybe a project for myself to start in the summer holidays. Anyway, should I move this to the wishlist?

Cheers, Markus

#30 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Markus, I don't quite understand why you wish to replace Excel or LibreOffice for managing csv files. No one would be able to write a tool that could be a just minimally comparable to these programs, these would be far-far beyond (below).

If you want extensions, why don't just write an Excel macro for that?

• 68 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users