Elvas Tower: ORTS simply freezes up, no error message, sound keeps running - Elvas Tower

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS simply freezes up, no error message, sound keeps running X2186 to 3008 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Post icon  Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

The title actually says it all. RUnning the ATSF Gallup Subdivision by Bob Wirth (available on TS.com for free) with an activity that shipped with the route, but that I modified, I get a freeze with sounds running on and no error message.

Freeze occurs when entering the crossover at East Coronado (MP214), changing from the westbound (northern) two the eastbound (southern) track, running westbound. Activity has run fine for about two hours until the crash, through one loop and about to go through another at Coronado Power Plant.

I figured it might be a passing path processing problem, since an AI was waiting for me to cross over and take the siding on the eastbound track. No passing paths defined in the area, however, so turning on and off Location Linked Passing Path Processing did not change anything.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Markus

PS: The log file... Nothing obvious in there, to my eyes...

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (12.79K)
Number of downloads: 200

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

It's likely to be a program loop, not a crash.
Can you upload the activity please (activity, services, paths, traffic - but not the consists)?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hi Robert,

thanks for the fast reply. I will hardly be able to upload it today, being ill and typing this on a tablet. I'll try to upload ASAP, though beware, you'll have to replace all consists since mine are so heavily customized and will have to go through two hours of artially low-speed running in the middle of nowhere ;)

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

I've had this problem on v2193 as well. I'll be going along on a saved activity when the game screen will just freeze but the sound will continue. I can ctrl, alt, del and quit the game and restart again from the save and continue, usually, without issues. I've only seen it on the LSRC and it appears to be completely random. It is an explore activity that started with 186 cars and four locomotives. I started by distributing the cars along the route and then go back with one or two engines and switch out the various industries. The error occurs with any number of cars and engines at various locations in either direction. I save frequently and am able to go back and resume.

I thought it was just me.

Steve

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

steved, on 23 April 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

I've had this problem on v2193 as well. I'll be going along on a saved activity when the game screen will just freeze but the sound will continue. I can ctrl, alt, del and quit the game and restart again from the save and continue, usually, without issues. I've only seen it on the LSRC and it appears to be completely random. It is an explore activity that started with 186 cars and four locomotives. I started by distributing the cars along the route and then go back with one or two engines and switch out the various industries. The error occurs with any number of cars and engines at various locations in either direction. I save frequently and am able to go back and resume.

Steve

As you can see from my reply above, it helps if you provide route-details, upload activity files etc.
Just stating that it happens will not help to solve the issue.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

markus_GE, on 23 April 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

Hi Robert,

thanks for the fast reply. I will hardly be able to upload it today, being ill and typing this on a tablet. I'll try to upload ASAP, though beware, you'll have to replace all consists since mine are so heavily customized and will have to go through two hours of artially low-speed running in the middle of nowhere ;)

Cheers, Markus

Take it easy and get well soon!

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#7 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Rob,
It was an explore route activity. Completely random consist. I've only experienced the freeze on the LSRC route. I've been switching this consist and route for several weeks through a couple automatic OpR updates. Sorry I can't provide more information.

Steve

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

roeter, on 23 April 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Take it easy and get well soon!

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

:bigboss: Rob :)

Fever´s gone again, and I´m feeling better today, so back at my computer ;)

Just... How did I make these APK activity packages, that included all paths, services and so on? I can´t recall, not having done it in a year or so... (having to go through my folders to find the files manually will a) take me at least an hour to do and B) probably leave you with an incomplete package...

steved, on 23 April 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Steve

That´s a little different from my case. I was running an activity, and the freeze occurred about two hours into the run, having dumped about 15 saves (Usually save at every milepost showing a multiple of 10 miles, IE at MPs 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.) and resumed from three of these. My freeze always occurs at the same location, a crossover switch with a turnout following on the track you cross over to, and an AI waiting on the main track. The player path contains two reverse loops, one before and one after that certain crossover, and work orders required me to once switch to Manual Mode and back to Auto again for some switching. Resuming from a save made three miles before reaching the certain crossover will not cure the problem. It just will freeze again.

As soon as I find out about APK packaging I will do that and attach the files here.

What I will also do is try to stop in front of the Xover and switch to manual mode. I think I´ll then have to wait for the AI to pass, and will then try to make it through the Xover in Manual, stop again and see what happen upon trying to switch to Auto Mode again. Will report back.

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Just... How did I make these APK activity packages, that included all paths, services and so on? I can´t recall, not having done it in a year or so... (having to go through my folders to find the files manually will a) take me at least an hour to do and ;) probably leave you with an incomplete package...

Just zip activity, traffic, services and paths - if it ain't too much, all in there, otherwise a quick scan of what is needed (activity lists services, services has the path) will give you the required list.
Don't bother about consists - I don't have any original name for USA rolling stock anyway, as I have renamed everything in my own system.
Just hope the error isn't time-critical, for if so I will probable not be able to reproduce it :bigboss:

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

roeter, on 24 April 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Just zip activity, traffic, services and paths - if it ain't too much, all in there, otherwise a quick scan of what is needed (activity lists services, services has the path) will give you the required list.
Don't bother about consists - I don't have any original name for USA rolling stock anyway, as I have renamed everything in my own system.
Just hope the error isn't time-critical, for if so I will probable not be able to reproduce it B)

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Same here, with all that renaming. That´s why I warned you in my last-but-one post :)

OK, Here we go:

Attached File  atsfgs.zip (20.63K)
Number of downloads: 203

Hope I didn´t forget anything...

:bigboss: for all that help! By now I´m starting to feel guilty it´s always me who finds such bugs, that require that extensive research to sort out ;)

Cheers, Markus

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users