Elvas Tower: An Historical Train of Sorrow - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Historical Train of Sorrow A Repaint Project - Something Different Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

My son and I recently watched several programs on the Lincoln Assassination and the history of the president's funeral. We were particularly interested in the funeral train.

I decided it would interesting to recreate the train for MSTS. I'm not finished but thought I'd share tonight's efforts. Not bad for one night's work I think.

Btw, David H. Kloke, a master mechanic, is building a replica of the Lincoln Funeral train car and the Leviathan locomotive that pulled the train. Through his efforts, we will soon see this famous train travelling the historic route of the original in 2015. For more information visit the official web site of the project:

Lincoln Funeral Train
http://www.the2015lincolnfuneraltrain.com/wp-content/themes/Webly/images/logo.png

I still need to finish the baggage car and I need to find someone to help me place a 'freight animation" of the president's portrait on the front of the locomotive:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gwWFHrOLaBk/SZSnm4nFfuI/AAAAAAAAEsk/9v_KePMk4Ws/s320/TrainEngine.jpg

But I'm pretty happy with the results so far...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3700/13729685585_d7f600ca45_b_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/13729727293_12ec6e6408_b_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/13729684315_6094f37f4a_b_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5249/13730095774_abdb51a850_b_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/13729726113_c4cff399e0_b_d.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3768/13729727303_1fc55fc300_b_d.jpg

My father was an American Civil War historian and I think he would have enjoyed this project.

Cheers.

KB
Amherst, Ohio

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

:jawdrop2: Your modelling work looks just awesome, on both the loco (like the shine :good2: ) and on the cars :bravo:

:sign_rockon:

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Actually, the locomotive is a model by Jon Davis. I'm not sure where he got the cars from, though.

#4 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

I make no claims to modelling skills. I just re-texured the models.

The carriages are by Frank Musick and the locomotive is by Jon Davis -- both are part of the Broadway Limited Locomotives Works (BLLW) group.

I just enjoy re-texturing (I can't really claim to "re-paint", as I often use photos and textures I've found on the web to serve as the foundation for my efforts.

I know that the carriages are not correct for the exact train but that isn't important to me -- as I'm simply interested in having a good time "imagining" with MSTS.

My next project will be re-creating the Rexall train from the 1930's.

I guess my history background (like my father, I'm a trained historian)and my love of the unusual are what fuel my little projects.

If anyone is interested in these repaints, let me know. I know that reworking others' work is such a contentious issue in our hobby and I'm saddened that some individuals make things difficult. I will never truly understand why this is so. I would never claim to ownership of something that is not mine, but I believe that the community as a whole benefits so much more by the creative energies of all members. I guess a few bad apples have spoiled things for everyone -- such is life -- but I still believe that most like the idea of creating and sharing and then letting others take their efforts to the next point or level.

I worry often about sharing things I've 'experimented' with in the sim world for fear of incurring someone's wrath by merely sharing a picture of some 'creative' endeavor on my part. I'm sure there are many who feel likewise.

For example, last weekend, my son asked if it was possible to drive different boats in MSTS (as we'd already seen the tug in Rich Garber's Ohio route), so I set about collecting any boat models I could find and trying to get them 'afloat' -- with some terrific results! I've gotten about 12 boats & ships underway in three different routes now. I'm now looking at learning how to add some underwater tracks to several routes with rivers and lakes in them [ I have no prior route building experience but this is making me learn some basics -- good brain food for an old fart like me. I'm always telling my students to stretch their minds and abilities -- so I should do the same no?]. Is there a purpose to this? No. Just the sheer enjoyment of being able to achieve this, along with the delight of watching trains go by while sitting under a bridge -- or the reverse -- watching a barge pass under my train.

Anyway, I also hope that by sharing my projects, I will get others to share and to offer their efforts for the rest of us. I'd like to think that my poor efforts from a few weeks back (my circus train reapints -- on the wrong cars...sigh) helped to spark interests and got the gentleman who shared his wonderful RBBB repaints to make them available.

So, here's hoping others will do likewise. I love this hobby, I love the generosity of spirit that has kept it alive and I look forward to both sharing more and seeing others do likewise.

Thank you to every creative enthusiast who frequents this and other simming sites.

Cheers

#5 User is offline   cvo2010 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:No longer around

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'm properly not in the target group for models like these, but I must say, it's looks fantastic :sign_rockon:.

Regards Claus

#6 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Oh boy, you're really going to take on the Rexall Train? You'll need a proper streamlined NYC 5344, and the closest we have to that is an unfinished TSM model by Allen Norton.

#7 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostDustin Raiken, on 09 April 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Oh boy, you're really going to take on the Rexall Train? You'll need a proper streamlined NYC 5344, and the closest we have to that is an unfinished TSM model by Allen Norton.

Well, you're right of course, we don't have the "proper" model..so, as I've indicated I'm looking for a "as close as I can" ...

I've decided to repaint the MILW Hiawatha Hudson I found. I think it'll do nicely. WDYT?

KB

#8 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'm not sure. There are tons of differences between the Baltic and the Commodore Vanderbilt. I think it might be the closest we have, though, unless Allen finishes his Commodore Vanderbilt model.

#9 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

Your Lincoln Funeral train looks pertty darn good for it's age. Nice job, Kevin! :thumbup3:

#10 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

Thank you, Tim.

With summer now over, I can once again get back to my myriad of half-baked repainting projects that have been on the shelf over the hot months -- though this week still promises brutal temps and w/o an A/C it's hard to get on PC and be creative. So I guess another ale and some reading are in order this week still.

Cheers

KB

View Posttimmuir, on 03 September 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Your Lincoln Funeral train looks pertty darn good for it's age. Nice job, Kevin! :thumbup3:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users