Attached Image: 4.JPG

Attached Image: 5.JPG

#884 User is online   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:14 AM

Hi Erick,

What a superb set there - sir - and not too shabby with the weathering... Soo's just got to be dirty...

Ya know - I'm not a "Soo" guy but I noticed the units for sale via Ian's site - I think I'm going grab both sets anyway...

First - to see what innovations you've cooked up...

Secondly - to say thanks...

For those that don't participate over on the Flight Sim side of the house - Erick is a legend - his name still routinely echo's through those halls - his modeling skills are unsurpassed - the way he can model the subtle curve of a 727's fuselage and how it blends seamlessly into the nacelle for engine 2 - is something to behold - it's a work of art - he's a true modeling master... He's made just about every classic airliner out there and graciously shared his work with the community under various guises - for free - which went on for many years... Then - as his parting shot - he released the source code for all his models - so if someone had the skills and desire - they could take his work and run with it...

Now he's doing similar over here - providing skillful upgrades that are greatly benefiting this community and once again - he's doing most of it for free...

Erick - I seem to recall a recent post where you are mentioned working on your education - which is expensive... You've done so much for so many - I can't count the number of hours I've spent enjoying your hard work - so just - Thank You...

I hope your Soo sets sell very well !!!

Erick’s Models
https://www.tigertra...nufacturer_id=7

Regards,
Scott

#885 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:28 AM

Hamburg Altona.

https://zapodaj.net/images/5265de21df0f4.png

#886 User is offline   menchman 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Erick's work is fantastic. Picked up both sets shortly after they became available and I'm thoroughly impressed. His work in the .eng files also serves as a good resource for modifying other engines to meet Open Rails standards. Keep up the good work Erick - look forward to what you come up with next!

#887 User is offline   cyrail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails and MSTS

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Yes, never a SOO fan but purchased gp7 set @ tigertrains and will say I'm very glad I did. Eric raised the bar and did things I didn't think we're possible. Excellent models. Now I've set my sites on that caboose set.

Mark

#888 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

View Postscottb613, on 23 January 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

I hope your Soo sets sell very well !!!

Thanks for the kind words! The models are selling decently well, although I do think some other roads would sell better. You're probably not going to be seeing any NS from me anytime soon (EVERYONE wants NS for reasons I still can't explain), but the next project is much more generalizable - a set of GSC 53'-6" flat cars. As usual, the cars will come with a repaint kit, and the GSC flat cars were used heavily by many railroads (although mine will carry details like striker plates and trucks that are specific to BNs 613000 class). I've decided to mostly dedicate 2019 to new freight cars, since it's a lot less to deal with than locomotives, and because people seem to want new cars (in fact, demand for new cars at any resolution in Railworks is so high that I am considering porting some of my 2019 output).

With that said, I still do need to finish the second Soo GP7 set, which covers their last three units.

I am planning on moving towards a more "kit"-like approach for future content. Cars without interiors, for example, will be mapped to a 2048 x 1024 area, and then I will create a large image containing textures for eight complete cars, and do a little UVW XForm magic to create eight models, which will be located in a remote folder (much like the Goss upgrade kit). This means that cars can easily be produced in sets of eight, with a single texture and eight wag files in a folder calling up the models from a remote location. This should create models which repainters find much more flexible to deal with. There will even be ample space in this large texture for any and all loads included with the package (or even custom loads that repainters might want to create). Future boxcars will probably have doors located in a secondary shape, so that door configurations can be changed at-will.

#889 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

I never thought you'd be making money off your models, but I should've expected it. Your recent work has been incredible, and the fact that you've released the source code for several of your models shows your generosity and desire to see the community grow. I gotta admit, as the world's stingiest penny pincher, it's a little bittersweet to see you making the switch to payware, but you deserve the money. Amazing work!

View PostErickC, on 25 January 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

(EVERYONE wants NS for reasons I still can't explain)

Elementary, my dear Watson. NS is foam bait.

And speaking of NS, here's an old MSTS screenshot since I don't run modern stuff very often. Any year starting with a 2 and I'm not interested. A little splash of Black Widow ended up on the front of this NS coal drag.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: MSVR 9850 3.jpg

#890 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

https://zapodaj.net/images/2e1f4701f24d3.png

Eisenbahnhochbrücke Rendsburg

54°17′36.94″N 9°40′58.45″E

• 126 Pages +
  • « First